I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like to warn people to get their dogs Microchip checked when they visit their Vets. We have found that Holly's has slipped and is now near her shoulder. The vets say this is not a problem and have made a note of it on her records we have also informed the Mircrochip Registration company of the Microchip. Every time we visit the Vets now we get them to scan over both Bayley and Holly just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes I can feel Maggies on her shoulder. Is this a common thing? Emma x
not as common as it used to be, the newer chips are less likely to migrate than the older ones used a few years ago. whenever i scan an animal i scan the whole body as i have found some on the front of the chest before (years ago). most scanners are quite sensitive and will pick up a chip from a good few inches away.

Def worth getting them checked when at the vets though- you should be able to just pop in to your vets and ask a receptionist to do it for you rather than booking an appointment as it will only take a few seconds :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
God i thought they had them near their rear end ha ha shows how much i know!!!! What do they feel like??

·
Registered
739 Posts
God i thought they had them near their rear end ha ha shows how much i know!!!! What do they feel like??
:eek: wouldn't fancy chipping those dogs!! it goes just in the scruff, between the shoulder blades. Feels like a hard grain of rice but you can't always feel them. depends on the dog and where the chip is positioned. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Poppy was microchiped when she was spayed and the chip had moved to her shoulder by the time we got her home. The Vet checks it when we get her boosters done as part of the visit. Rosie is getting spayed and microchiped the beginning of next month see what happens this time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
See Maggies microchip only stayed in on the third attempt! It was very traumatic at the time and I changed vets since, however I was wondering if this one on her shoulder was maybe one of the lost microchips.
Emma x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
It all depends on who does the microchipping as to whether the chip stays between the shoulder blades. I am a trained implanter and as a non-vet had to go on an intensive training course. We were drilled on the importance of placing the chip exactly between the 'V' above the shoulder blades. That natural 'V' cradles the chip for the two weeks that it takes for the coating on the chip to bond with the surrounding ligaments that then anchors the chip for life in the 'scruff'. Vet's on the other hand are not given any extra training on the practice of implanting as they are deemed to already know how to inject. We were told during our training that quite often it's is the vet's chips that migrate.

Having now blamed vets....if Bayleys chip has migrated then it's my fault :eek:

Julia

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You did Bayleys chip perfectly, Jukee Doodles :) his is fine and picks up on the scanner straight away at the back of his neck. Holly's was done at the Vets, so it sounds like what your saying is correct. Even though we know it is near her shoulder the scanner still struggles to find it when we get it checked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts