I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millie's going in tomorrow morning at 9am to be spayed.

I have to say, I'm really not looking forward to it :(:( I feel quite mean for some reason.

I think I will take a for a little walk as usual first thing and then drive straight to the vets afterwards, rather than coming home for breakfast. I obviously have to leave her at the vets, which she will not enjoy and will get distressed. (You should have heard the noise she made at the weekend, when I popped into a cafe to grab a take away coffee :eek:)

I know its a silly question, but do you think she'll remember and not trust me to take her to the vets again!

I have to take her NI food in too, as they only have kibble or tinned.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lolly's turn tomorrow as well :( I'm just hoping that Lolly's previous very positive experiences of the vets will help with future visits. (Our vet makes a big thing about us seeing her monthly for 'fun' visits so that Lolly will hopefully feel relaxed when we go tomorrow and in the future)

I'm dreading the few days afterwards, trying to keep her calm (not the easiest thing with 2 kids around, although they are old enough to know they should be keeping her calm), stop her jumping on the furniture and downstairs. Tips on how to do these things will be greafully received.

Also what size vest did people buy? I haven't got one in ready for Lolly. I know we'll be sent home with a horrible collar and I'm (probably foolishly) hoping that Lolly won't be too bothered by her wound. I'll buy a vest quick smart if I feel she would be happier in one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We felt terrible when we took our two in to have their ops and massive guilt but knew deep down it was for the best. I thought they may never want to go to the vets again but they still pull to get in through the door to see who is inside to fuss them!!! :) Good luck x

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
what are these vests you mention? are they especially designed for protecting the op wound and where do you get them from?xx
I think they are baby vests/onesies with the poppers at the bottom. they cover the wound and hopefully stop the dog licking/bothering it without the need for a lampshade collar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They are baby vests, you know, the ones with the poppers on the bottom? They are fab and can be used instead of the cone. I had Maisy spayed after her first season at 13 months and couldn't find a baby vest to fit her so bought a girls 9- 10 years old t shirt and sewed some poppers on the bottom of it! It worked a treat! She didn't lick or bother her wound at all and has healed up really well :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Good luck for tomorrow and ask the vet what he/she thinks about the vests as our nurse said it is better not to use them unless absolutely necessary as the wound heals quicker if the air can get to it! :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Good luck for tomorrow and ask the vet what he/she thinks about the vests as our nurse said it is better not to use them unless absolutely necessary as the wound heals quicker if the air can get to it! :)
Sorry - bit slow on the posting and have seen the vests have been used with success so ignore me lol :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hope both girls' ops go well and they recover quickly. We all feel guilty about putting them through surgery, but we do it for their benefit and a few days down the road it'll all be behind you and they'll be back to normal x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
good luck to both doggies being spayed. With regard to them being scared of going to the vets again, Betty has been fine luckily as i had the same fear. I look forward to hearing how they both are later. xx

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just dropped Lolly off :cry2: She was her usual excited self with the vet - just starving and desperately trying to jump up to where she knows the treats are kept at the vets!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the nice posts and reassurances that Millie wont hate me or the vet.

Vests are bought and waiting, hoping 18-24 months will be ok. I asked the lady in the shop if I could borrow a tape measure as I wanted to measure from the underarm to the hip. She looked a bit confused, so I explained they were for my dog. I'm sure she didn't hear me, as she just acknowledged it in a cursory manner :talktohand:

She'll probably realise what I said hours later, then she'll be confused. lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lolly home and feeling very sorry for herself :pout:

Hubby bought her in in her travel crate and she hasn't moved out of it. She only just managed to lift her head up to see me when I got home.

We also have 18-24 month vests ready. Fingers crossed she feels a bit more like her old self tomorrow (although please not as lively as I'm not looking forward to trying to keep her calm with no running or jumping!!:eek:)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
:hug: Janet, I hope she perks up a little (but not too much!) soon xxx

Reactions: flounder_1

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ooh that looks a bit tight, bless her!! Is she bigger than you thought then? :)

I hope she perks up soon, she does look sorry for herself!

:hug: xxx

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oh Julie - how sweet! I don't think Lolly will be wearing her vest tonight as she still hasn't come out of her travel crate! We'll have to see before we put her in her crate tonight whether we can get the vest on her or go with the buster collar.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts