I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone
Well the boys have had their 2nd jab today...all went well, after a weigh-in and a very thorough examination both Milo & Alfie made not one sound as they received their booster (camigen) which is made by the same company as Nobivac and have now been confined to the garden for another two weeks!!!:eek:
We asked the Vet his opinion on the NI diet and he voiced concern due to possible salmonella! has anyone else had this from their Vets? We also asked about castration that will be at approximately 5 months (if we go for it) with an estimate of £115 each ..happy days....Another point that he raised was the fact that we had two different 1 months free pet insurance....beware!! if you have to use this each company will only pay half of the costs however, you will have to pay two excesses!!! So check and because your already on a data base they know how many insurances you have......both Milo & Alfie passed their check up with flying colours and the vet was very impressed with them! big-up for Jukeedoodles :):).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Everyone

We asked the Vet his opinion on the NI diet and he voiced concern due to possible salmonella! has anyone else had this from their Vet.
Yes, that's a common reaction - heard it several times! Lots of arguments and differing theories on this point but it is most commonly held that dogs' intestines are designed to cope with bacteria such as salmonella and certainly I've never heard of this as a problem. But most vets are not keen on BARF although they are happier with NI than with a DIY barf diet, as it is balanced and the bones are ground. By the way NI is vet approved and several vets sell it. You could always ring NI and raise the salmonella point and see what they say.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did speak to NI and number of others already feeding it and so I'm more than happy to feed NI My vet was as you say not keen on barf and said if it was raw we wanted to feed then the NI in his opinion is better L was just wondering if anyone else had encountered this at the vets?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My usual vet wasn't on duty when I took Izzy for her jag, the young vet I saw didn't bat an eyelid when I said I was feeding N.I, she also said Izzy could go out 1 week after, not 2 as I was previously advised by vet nurse..... and she said Izzy is very cute :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My usual vet wasn't on duty when I took Izzy for her jag, the young vet I saw didn't bat an eyelid when I said I was feeding N.I, she also said Izzy could go out 1 week after, not 2 as I was previously advised by vet nurse..... and she said Izzy is very cute :)
I think its apparent that each vet has their own idea as to the period before they can go out after second jab... some are a week some are two....all you can do is follow their advice and hope that all turns out well.....as for Milo & Alfie they enjoyed their evening meal of NI & Orijen followed by their usual mad half hour so no signs of any adverse reaction to vaccination and are now laid out on the suite with Jeannette. Check out the picture of Milo is that Izzy with him?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Buddy's jealous he wants a JAG too ha ha

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
**** id like to know the answer to the salmonella qusetion also if ever you find out thanks.

Also ive booked Buddy into the puppy classes at Hougham we start on the 20th will your two be going???

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**** id like to know the answer to the salmonella qusetion also if ever you find out thanks.

Also ive booked Buddy into the puppy classes at Hougham we start on the 20th will your two be going???
Hi Donna
Yes we would like to do them! who did you book it with? As for the salmonella issue I think you will always have some people who are against raw meat especially chicken! but I have discussed it with NI and JD's and as long as you dont go beyond NI's recommendations you should not have any problems. I have to say this is the first time I've fed this way and you tend to think like you would if preparing food for ourselves!, but we are being careful to keep everything clean and disinfected after use and Milo & Alfie absolutely love it and are doing great they are full of vitality their motions are perfect and to be honest we are very pleased with them on this diet, we are still mixing a little Orijen with it about 80/20 ....Michael:)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I have to say this is the first time I've fed this way and you tend to think like you would if preparing food for ourselves!, but we are being careful to keep everything clean and disinfected after use and Milo & Alfie absolutely love it and are doing great they are full of vitality their motions are perfect and to be honest we are very pleased with them on this diet, we are still mixing a little Orijen with it about 80/20 ....Michael:)
I totally agree with you Michael, handling the raw BARF or NI with the same hygiene that you would use for human consumption is the key.

J xx

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Donna
Yes we would like to do them! who did you book it with? As for the salmonella issue I think you will always have some people who are against raw meat especially chicken! but I have discussed it with NI and JD's and as long as you dont go beyond NI's recommendations you should not have any problems. I have to say this is the first time I've fed this way and you tend to think like you would if preparing food for ourselves!, but we are being careful to keep everything clean and disinfected after use and Milo & Alfie absolutely love it and are doing great they are full of vitality their motions are perfect and to be honest we are very pleased with them on this diet, we are still mixing a little Orijen with it about 80/20 ....Michael:)
I think if your serving striaght from fridge into a bowl then clean the bowl everything should be fine ,i just dont get the feeding chicken wings and bones surely they will eat them on your floor which isnt good really is it??

We only have a kitchen no utility and with children around thats not good,im so torn as Buddy always has a nice firm poo in the morning but then for the rest of the day they are quite soft which is a nightmare.

Anyway yuck enough about poo,ive going to icc dog training ,im abit gutted actually as i contacted the place at Orston but no one got back to me so i paid my money at Hougham then would you believe it they emailed me to say yes they are doing puppy classes! It would of been easier for me to get to ,oh well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think if your serving striaght from fridge into a bowl then clean the bowl everything should be fine ,i just dont get the feeding chicken wings and bones surely they will eat them on your floor which isnt good really is it??

We only have a kitchen no utility and with children around thats not good,im so torn as Buddy always has a nice firm poo in the morning but then for the rest of the day they are quite soft which is a nightmare.

Hi again
I agree with you and was keen to sort of do a little bit of NI and a little bit of BARF and will probably still have a go but will choose the days when they can be given a chicken carcass outside and we will not be giving any wings or legs you can get just the carcass from NI already prepared....or even better I have a friend who works in our village butcher's(I think the odd six pack should do it!!):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts