I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, first post so please go easy on me!

I have had Misty for approximately a week and a half and she is a typical lively inquisitive puppy, but I have a major issue with her desire to try to eat stones.

Obviously as we are housetraining she spends a fair amount of time in my garden (always constantly supervised) and it is entirely bordered by a stone chip border. As I say we constantly supervise her but the urge to eat the stones is so strong our commands to leave and efforts to move her away just seem to play into the whole idea that it is a game and I end up doing the 400 metres sprint around the garden and fishing the stones out of her mouth in a constant attempt to stop her harming herself by swallowing one.

The extreme answer is I dig the 1 ton of stones up and have an empty trench as a lawn border (which if I have to do I will if it saves her from choking or blocking her stomach with foreign objects, as it is a constant worry every toilet break and is also distracting her from why she is in the garden to relieve herself), but I just wondered if anyone had any other alternative less extreme solutions for this issue.

Any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
hi sorry dont have any advice but Archie is the same, its a nightmare! HELP anyone my fitbit thinks someone else is wearing it LOL 馃槅...serious though its scares me so much the little monkey :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ha!! Yeah my step count is of the charts, will have the fitness of a marathon runner at this rate.

I have heard that not reacting to the behaviour so that it doesn't become a game along with distracting with a toy for a preferred behaviour is the key, but so far for me this has not been successful as she finds the stones more exciting than any toy and if I don't chase her she chews them up and swallows them.

I will let you know if i hit on a miracle solution!!

Registered
You are making the stones an issue by your reaction - must be really important if you need to chase and remove them. Ignore, distract and walk away and the behaviour will fade. The only reason they find the stones more exciting is how YOU are reacting to her touching them

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree with what you are saying and can see it to be the case, but on the occasions that i have ignored she will happily chew/swallow the stones. So are you saying this is a necessary risk and just to allow her to do this until she gets bored of doing it?

Registered
She will happily chew stones but is she really swallowing them if you leave her to it? I doubt it - pups can and do eat them occasionally but more often will just chew them and drop them when they see it is not as exciting as it used to be

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The stones i believe she may just chew and drop, I have not physically seen her swallow but also don't always find offending stone afterwards, but the slate chippings that border the entire house she 100% chews and swallows the first time i left her and ignored the behaviour she gagged and as i was fishing around her mouth it was filled with small pieces of chewed up slate followed by a larger chunk she had tried to swallow, lucky it was fairly smooth and no lasting damage, sadly the experience was more horrifying for me than her as she happily went back for more minutes later. And why i then reverted back to chasing her round the garden as i was so worried she would harm her intestines if she swallowed to much of the stuff.

Registered
I agree that paying attention to it and the chasing game makes it too much like fun. I also understand your concern about leaving alone and risking swallowing. We got around it by temporarily fencing off the area with stones. We used puppy pen, windbreaks, garden trellis to cordon it off and tried to refocus his garden games to playing with a ball and chewing dog toys. If he did get a stone we asked him to swap it for a high value treat. We did then go through a faze where he鈥檇 proudly fetch me a stone in the hope of a reward, but this was short lived and at least he knew he only got the treat if he gave up the stone. He now doesn鈥檛 bother with stones at all. He moved on to chasing bees and wasps 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all the advice, im going to try a mixture of all the additional advice (blocking areas off where possible, distraction toys and balls, treats) alongside ignoring the behaviour and see how that goes. Appreciate you all taking the time to offer advice and opinions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts