I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Rigby is absolutely brilliant off lead and his recall is great when playing with dogs off their leads, but he is a nightmare with other dogs ON their leads.

He goes over to say hello then I cannot get him back- he completely ignores me- its like he doesn't understand why he can t have a run around with them.

I really don't know what to do!

Any advice would be greatfully recieved!

xx

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I think many of us will have this problem! :) Daisy is the same, she comes back when he is ready and not when I call her! I am using a long line at the moment until her recall is better and lots of high value treats. You also need to make yourself more exciting than the other dogs. I was told by my trainer to make sure that I play with Daisy and practice training other than recall when out. I have always been guilty of just letting Daisy off and relying on the other dogs to provide her with entertainment (other than ball throwing). I am trying and slowly getting there but it takes a lot of practice! :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do lots of calling him and running away so he learns he has to give you attention or you disappear on him. Play hide and seek. Lots of repeatitions with no distractions then try it with a dog on the horizon and then increase the distraction level.

If you know he wont come back then dont call him. Let him have a wee play with the other dog then when he looks at you call him and reward him and send him back to play. Do lots of repeatitions of that. Only call him if you have a really good chance of sucess.

Use a trailing long line attached to a harness if you really want to guarantee sucess and make sure you have the end of the line before calling him. If he comes back have a party and give high value rewards and send him straight off to play again. If he ignores you then walk up to him using the line and keep him next to you for a couple of minutes ignoring him. Then let him loose and repeat. He will then learn that coming back equals rewards and freedom. Not coming back equals restraint and being on lead. Doesnt take long for them to get the message as they arent daft.

All the best

·
Registered
363 Posts
Arthur is going through typical teenager mode and ignores you on recall too, I have gone back to basics again - high value treats and when you call them back dont sound cross with them if that makes sense, the trainer we used said why would they come back if you sound mad even tho you might be screaming inside!!:(
The on lead thing would worry me as well as I always think when Im out that if another dog is on a lead you should give them a bit of space as they may be on the lead for a reason.... I use 'wait' with Arthur with varying degrees of success - I practice this at home as well with him. My thinking is if he is listening to the wait he is more likely to be listening when you get to the dog?
I have noticed that Arthur is worse when he has just gone out and gets better as he calms down through out the walk.:)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Sounds like you're doing the right things and the advice everyone else has given makes heaps of sense to me.

I know it seems that it will always be this way, but I'm certain his recall will improve over time. He's only a puppy and exploring his world. At least if he's distracted totally by dogs on leads you know you can just go and get him back. That is, as long as the other owner stands still - I came across many who simply just kept walking, most annoying.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.