I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and cleaned for my Grandparents this morning which I do every other week. They are looking after my Mum's old lab and I couldn't believe the amount of hair everywhere! :eek: I don't know why as we had a GSD growing up and his hair was always all over the place. It made me very glad that I have a non moulting dog!

The non moulting side of Cockapoos was really important for me as I suffer with allergies although I am worse with cats and can't even walk past a horse without sneezing! I was really relieved that Daisy was non moulting but it wouldn't have made any difference to whether we kept her or not.

I just wondered how important the non moulting was when everyone chose a Cockapoo and whether you considered other non moulting breeds? I don't know if this has been asked before, just ignore me if it has! :rolleyes: :eek:

I also looked at Tibetan Terriers and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, they are both gorgeous and would have been great family dogs. I think what swung it for me was I had heard so many lovely things about Cockapoos and then met Max, a Cockapoo where I live. He was so fab, I decided it was Cockapoos all the way for me! :D

We now have seven Cockapoos on my estate, unless there are anymore out there that I haven't met yet! :ilmc:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sarah - non-moulting (or non-shedding as we call it here in the US) was very important for us, so its funny that Chip does moult a bit. Nothing like a lab, but still there's small hairs on your clothing and such. My mom and dad have a Tibetan Terrier and I think their personality is not as flexible as a cockapoo. I had a cockapoo growing up and it was my favorite dog.

For our first dog, we got a standard poodle for the shedding issues and also so that he would be bigger for my small children (at the time).

Luckily none of us is reacting to Chip's coat, and I would imagine when he gets in his adult coat the texture and slight shedding will go away. Not a problem if it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes, the non-moulting aspect was very important for us too ... eldest son has allergies/asthma (like you worse with cats and horses).

I also like the Tibetan Terriers and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers but I felt at the time that cockapoos were more reliably non-moulting. After deciding to get a 2nd pup I was also interested in the Miniature Australian Labradoodle (they look very much like a cockapoo).

7 cockapoos on your estate .....wow, just shows they are increasing in popularity! :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Non moulting was important for me just from a cleaner house perspective!!! We also considered a Bichon Havenese which I also believe are non shedding.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Oh yes non / low moulting is very important to me ...

I do like Labradoodles, Goldendoodles and Mini labradoodles ... but Cockapoos just stool my heart and the is size ideal ... you can fit more than one in any size house :) perfect ...

Wanted a dog for 5 years before getting Oakley and a cockapoo 3 of those years :) ... now I have 2 with 1 on the way :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes non/low moulting was the most important thing to me when i was decideing,mainly because my son has CF ,and also a big factor was lack of hair around the house and smell.
Does anyones pups moult ?? I do find white hairs from Buddy on me now and again .

·
Registered
858 Posts
Non shedding was extremely important for us as I can be allergic to dogs and my house is my palace and I like it clean! My mum has a golden retriever and my dad has a GS and they both moult so much that I said to Dave "if we can't have a cockapoo then we're not having a dog as there's no way I'm having all that hair in my house"! The rest, as they say, is history!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think the lack of moulting is made up for by the grass seeds, sticky buds and thistle heads that end up on the carpet!!!

And my long haired cat brings in slugs and worms in his coat - thats usually a ewwww moment!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, the non-moulting aspect was very important for us too ... eldest son has allergies/asthma (like you worse with cats and horses).

I also like the Tibetan Terriers and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers but I felt at the time that cockapoos were more reliably non-moulting. After deciding to get a 2nd pup I was also interested in the Miniature Australian Labradoodle (they look very much like a cockapoo).

7 cockapoos on your estate .....wow, just shows they are increasing in popularity! :D:D:D
It is great, we have a little Cockapoo community! The last two owners I met had already heard of Daisy! Either people are enthusiatically telling the other owners that there is a new one on the block or I talk to too many people! :D We have an Anzil pup, a JD pup and the rest are from home breeders.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have asthma, hayfever and am allergic to furry animals, so low/no shedding was a must for us, especially as we weren't sure if the kids would react to a dog too (they were fine with the g.pigs though). I don't find any of Max's hairs around, Cockapoos rock!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have asthma, hayfever and am allergic to furry animals, so low/no shedding was a must for us, especially as we weren't sure if the kids would react to a dog too (they were fine with the g.pigs though). I don't find any of Max's hairs around, Cockapoos rock!!
Sarah, did your allergy this summer disappear?? ....hope so. (My allergic son is also fine with g.pigs.)

Bess doesn't moult at all (neither does Maisie). :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I noticed a few hairs around from Izzy recently, but her coat is changing so I imagine it's just that, it isn't an issue, none of us have allergies, just a bonus to have non/low shedding. Phoebe is moulting black hairs on the cream carpet at the moment and it's a real nuisance, I hate housework :(

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
As someone who was just looking for a dog to rehome and end up with a cockapoo, the non-moulting is nice :) but I am not totally sure it makes up for the sheer amount of time spent on caring for the coat compared to other dogs who I have had who just needed a quick brush now and then to keep neat and tidy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, the low to non shedding was top of the list for us when choosing a breed. I am highly allergic to cats and dog hair - can't even visit some of my friends houses who have dogs who moult :eek:

We also went to meet a cockapoo to make sure I would be fine as it's also the saliva and dander that can cause me problems. Luckily all was fine and haven't had any problems at all with any reaction to Biscuit :D

I am very houseproud too, but nobody warned me about all the soil and leaves that accompany her in through the back door when she's been in the garden!!!!! Best wishes, Karen xx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the low to non shedding was top of the list for us when choosing a breed. I am highly allergic to cats and dog hair - can't even visit some of my friends houses who have dogs who moult :eek:

We also went to meet a cockapoo to make sure I would be fine as it's also the saliva and dander that can cause me problems. Luckily all was fine and haven't had any problems at all with any reaction to Biscuit :D

I am very houseproud too, but nobody warned me about all the soil and leaves that accompany her in through the back door when she's been in the garden!!!!! Best wishes, Karen xx
That is a very good point! I have to hoover and mop every night because of childminding but as soon as Daisy comes in from her morning wee my floors are covered in little wet paw prints again! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You have got worse to come yet Sarah!

When we get the real rainy weather it's muddy paws every day and then wait for snow when cockapoos attract great big snowballs on their feet and legs and ears :D:D:D
I will be waiting...mop in hand! :D

I am also going to order her a snow suit and booties! :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts