I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are lovely!! There is a cockerlier that lives next door but she looks much more cavalier in her face.
They make a pretty picture together. :)
peggy is working cocker x cav, working cockers look more springer like, which is why she looks springer, i am always being asked how old my springer pup is, because she is quite small.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have had a bit of a shock today. we went to a dog show in suffolk in march, and i brought a dog DNA test kit,well i have the results back on peggy....... she was sold to us as a cocker x cav.... but the results say she is mostly springer, then BRIARD ! saying one of her grandparents would have been pedigree, and lastly, less than 10% cavalier! can you imagine owning a dog for 7 yrs, thinking she is one thing... then finding out she isnt, i feel like i have a different dog! but of course it changes nothing , except my trust in people !

· Registered
2,124 Posts
i have had a bit of a shock today. we went to a dog show in suffolk in march, and i brought a dog DNA test kit,well i have the results back on peggy....... she was sold to us as a cocker x cav.... but the results say she is mostly springer, then BRIARD ! saying one of her grandparents would have been pedigree, and lastly, less than 10% cavalier! can you imagine owning a dog for 7 yrs, thinking she is one thing... then finding out she isnt, i feel like i have a different dog! but of course it changes nothing , except my trust in people !

Which dna test did you use? I recently used a dna test for one of my poodle boys as i was convinced he had a touch of something else in him.they didnt ask any questions or aske for pics,just a swab and he is infact full poodle,felt a right fool lol.Many of the dna tests available ask for details which i think is cheating,i wouldnt trust any dna test that does that xxx

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I used the same company as Mandy too. Is peggy supposed to from a working cocker? It's just that the company I used said that the DNA markers for a working cocker were the same as a springer so that might be reason why you have that. I'd bought an F1B cockapoo but my test showed that Biscuit was a cockachon x poo, which explained his 'off road' cockapoo body! Everyone had suggested he had bichon in him too - which is why I took the test- and when I tell people now what his mix is they always say that the bichon bit is the most obvious bit they can see! x

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the same company as Mandy too. Is peggy supposed to from a working cocker? It's just that the company I used said that the DNA markers for a working cocker were the same as a springer so that might be reason why you have that. I'd bought an F1B cockapoo but my test showed that Biscuit was a cockachon x poo, which explained his 'off road' cockapoo body! Everyone had suggested he had bichon in him too - which is why I took the test- and when I tell people now what his mix is they always say that the bichon bit is the most obvious bit they can see! x
i used blackdog training, is this the same one? think i will email them and ask if the DNA markings are the same, no i was nt asked for any info or photos before i did the test, they say one of her grandparents was a briard! i guess this could be true, as it does t necessarily mean she would have any characteristics of one, i am finding this all fascinating!

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I used the Wisdom Panel one, which involved a couple of cheek swabs, which they say provides exactly the same type of DNA cell sample as a blood test.

There's no doubt we love our dogs no matter what and I have a very strong bond with him but if I am totally honest, if I knew the litter were a bichon mix in the first place, then I would't have gone and looked at them, as I particularly wanted the fast and agile build of a cockapoo. So in that sense, it's naturally a bit of a disappointment when you don't get what you were looking for. I'm sure anyone who finds themselves in the same situation would feel the same. But never mind, we live and learn!! x

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used the Wisdom Panel one, which involved a couple of cheek swabs, which they say provides exactly the same type of DNA cell sample as a blood test.

There's no doubt we love our dogs no matter what and I have a very strong bond with him but if I am totally honest, if I knew the litter were a bichon mix in the first place, then I would't have gone and looked at them, as I particularly wanted the fast and agile build of a cockapoo. So in that sense, it's naturally a bit of a disappointment when you don't get what you were looking for. I'm sure anyone who finds themselves in the same situation would feel the same. But never mind, we live and learn!! x
well you were obviously meant to have him then! the dna test i used was cheek swabs too,i dont mind at all that she is not what we expected her to be, but i would like to konw if she is working cocker or springer, she only stands 17" to the shoulder, Briards i thought were about 25 " and springers quite large too, although working springers are smaller, oh well i have emailed them questioning if the dna is thesame for springers and working cockers, will have to wait to see what the reply is.

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I would have thought the DNA markers used were the same with each company, as they all take samples from the same breeds, so maybe the springer in your result really is working cocker. It's certainly interesting! x

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.