I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I appreciate you would want to breed from only the healthiest dogs but from genetics when breeding F2 cockapoos there must be the chance to throw 25% of the litter that resemble cockers,25% that resemble poodles and 50% that resemble what people might think of as a cockapoo.... however there is every chance that the whole litter could resemble a cocker the whole litter could resemble a poodle or if your lucky the whole litter resemble a cockapoo .. it all comes down to nature and the law of averages. That said we all love our cockapoos for the friendly, loving , playful freinds that they are whatever they look like.... which after reading this thread it just shows that you cant guarantee x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
"""You're never sure what you'll get with two Cockapoo parents (F2, F3 etc) as they won't breed true. "" not right mandy i have sucsessfully bred whole litters of F2 with all the right carachteristics and non moulting coats you state wont breed true ? if you think about it the further down the f2 f3 f4 f5 line we go the more fixed in type they will become call it cloned do you agree ? but you must only breed with the best examples in the litter janice
Hey what do I know - I just have one cockapoo who, in my opinion, looks like a cocker with curly fur so I guess 80% Cocka and 20% poo :D
You only have to look at the gallery here to see that there's no standard or right characteristics - some look like cockers, some look like poodles and the rest are somewhere in between. To be honest I'm not that concerned with breed standard and conformation - I just wanted a family dog that was sort of like a cocker and hopefully didn't moult. No issue with those who feel compelled to work towards establishing the cockapoo as a breed but if I wanted another dog I would go for an F1. I would say that the title of the thread "My cockapoo doesn't look like a Cockapoo" says it all - we all have cockapoos on this forum that look different and are unique in their own lovely, individual, great family pet kind of way :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
those of you whose cockapoos do shed... how do you deal with it?
i'm finding fine feathery black hairs everywhere right now. urgh. it's driving me nuts. lol. i was specifically looking for a non shedding dog, but now that i've adopted Cassie, i'll just have to deal with the shedding. ha ha. i'm going to look at the cocker sites too, to see how they deal with it, since Cassie is so much more like a cocker.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Shari, that's one of the largest myths about cockapoos, that they never shed no matter what. Sad thing is, about 75% of doodles do shed, at least a little!

Once Cassie is on a better food she will shed less, and have healthier skin. Sadly she is so cockery she'll always shed no matter what you do. You can try brushing her more, and get her groomed more often, the sudsing up and blow drying really help get out dead hairs. Vacuum more? lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re shedding: poodles actually do shed - it's just that the hair stays trapped in the coat, due to the texture and curls. When you brush one, hair comes out in the brush! I have two poodles, along with a lab (i.e. shedding machine!), besides Rosie. Rosie sheds a little, but I see a lot more cocker in her than poodle.

The food you feed can make a big difference. I've found that grain heavy foods, especially those with corn in them, will increase the amount of shedding. I feed a grain-free food (Taste of the Wild), but there are other good foods out there, too. Feeding a fish oil supplement helps the coat, as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
cassie's hair is very silky, almost straight, with some wave... so i can see about the shedding not being trapped in the curls. i've been brushing her, and stuff. i don't have carpet, so i may get one of those microstatic rollers or something, because the broom just wafts it around, ha ha.

i'm looking forward to the improvement from the change in her food. i'm sure her poops will be happier, with less toots too. ha ha. and if it helps her coat, i'll be thrilled.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Shari, that's one of the largest myths about cockapoos, that they never shed no matter what. Sad thing is, about 75% of doodles do shed, at least a little!
I have to agree you can't say no dog is 100% non shedding.....it's the nature of the beast and lets be honest our hair comes out and we due to popular belief are not a shedding animal!!!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I know this is a really old Post bit I'm wondering if you still use this site, I have a cockerpoo who looks just like this 14wks old called barney, I'm really interested to see your dog now, everyone keeps telling me he can't be a cockerpoo and I can't get hold of the man I got him from!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Some Cockapoo's are just straight coated . This more commonly happens when two cockapoo's are mated ( F2) and are more likely to have the grandad effect - which is a throwback gene to either to poodle or the cocker. You still have a cockapoo - just a flat coated one!! There are a number of members on here that also have flat coated dogs.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Lolly didn't look like the cute balls of fluff that most of the cockapoo puppies you see when she was young. She was really straight coated. But as her coat grew it began to wave and she has a more shaggy coat.

12 weeks old

Just over 1 year

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Lola is also smoother coated. Mind you her coat s much much thicker and tuftier than a working cocker which is what her mum was. The poodle comes out eventually. I'm lucky that Lola is one of the low shredders. I've best of both worlds, beautiful easy to manage minimal shed coat!

If you search the posts for smooth coat you will see lots of threads. Here is a good one..

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=11596&highlight=Smooth+coat

I really wouldn't worry about what people say. They think they know it all, and simply they don't! A cockapoo is a cross breed and like humans some can favour either parent rather than be a straight 50/50 mix. Lola is like a poodle in an ever thickening cocker coat! She walks, runs, has the stance of a poodle. She sniffs everything like a cocker, she is a gun dog through and through.. Chasing birds and prey. Little traits from both parents. As lomg as your dog is happy, healthy amd you love each other that's all that matters. People will make their own decisions! It's just ignorance! Enjoy your pup!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

this is ginger ..and she don't shed at all .even when I brush her really hard.
but I must say this .your puppy is the sweetest little puppy I have seen in a long time.he is so cute..from what I have been reading about cockapoos .you can get them to look all different now and then .if the shedding is what bothers you I would take him back to the breeder ,.if it don't bother you then you have a great looking puppy

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
You can get straight coats (favouring the Cocker Spaniel) in all mixes of cockapoos .. but it does seem that the F2 mix produces more straight coats than other mixes but I have seen F1's with straighter coats, however they are all cockapoos and the straighter coats may shed just like cocker spaniel .. load of information of coat types, mixes, generation on my blog which may help new owners :)

Also you can see a puppies coat texture from quite young so always ask your breeder for help :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
My millie is an F2 and she looks like a cockapoo.... shaggy coat (not tight curls). However in her litter there were about 2/3 that resembled the cocker spaniel, flat coated with a slight wave only. The breeder sold them at a reduced price, think it was about 250-300 as opposed to 850. She was open and honest about the pups and I appreciated that. Your pup is beautiful. Enjoy her and if you feel the need contact the breeder and ask more questions as that is what I would do. xxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a 7 months cockapoo from a breeder, but when I look at him, he don't even look like cockapoo and he's shed alot... I was just wonder did every cockapoo shed alot or is just shed when they are small?? Can someone please help me!!! I groom him every night but still he did shed!!! I can send his picture to you when u reply my thread!!!
Thanks

He is a cockerpoo but what's known as a smoothie as he has no facial fur or a beard. He is gorgeous.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts