I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cockapoo who is old and has bumps on his body, all benign. He has one bump on his belly he has decided to focus on. He's chewed it to the point of it bleeding. I took him to the vet and had it looked at by her. The bump was confirmed not to be cancer but it is infected. Problem is he permanently has to wear the cone which he manages to get around half the time. I had the ingenious idea of putting a onsey on him which mostly does the job but he seems to get around the cone and at least licks and pushes against the bump (covered by onsey) and still manages to get to it in one way or another. Short of duck taping it, I have no idea how to deal with this. He won't leave it alone. I've groomed him, bathed him and he still goes at it. I've tried different cortisone sprays yet its like he's a human who has a zit that he can't stop picking. Help............ any suggestions would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
if you want to just get him to stop biting the area, bitter apple spray from the pet store was made by a vet for just that...but prep them to hate the taste first as some dog just lick through it, or end up liking it,

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
if its infected has the vets given you an antibiotic ?.

if you are using a anti chew spray, you need to do a tast aversion, make sire they get a full wack of the taste, spray some in their mouth or soke a cotton ball in it and put it in their mouth.

other than that i dont know hat to do, Inca was very good at getting round the cone, even using the cone itselve to scratch the stitches.

it must realy be anoying him if he lis getting at it through the vest. has the vet given you anything to try and brining the swelling down

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Equafleece, who I just bought a dog coat from, also do a t-shirt/onesie type thing which they say is for that sort of purpose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the responses everyone. I will try the horse violet spray and the bitter apple stuff. Unfortunately he's not a good cadidate for surgery as he is 14 and has a heart murmer so I have to deal somehow. I will also try the coat thing from equafleece. The vet gave me stuff to make the infection go away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts