I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a 1 year old female cockapoo. She is an amazing dog! I hope you all feel the same about your cockapoo!
I have been trying to grow out her fur, but it is dull, poofy and frizzy. It is pretty wavy/curly, so I'd say that she has more of the poodle type fur. It gets very matted on her chest. And I brush her just about every day if not many times a day to get the matts out. I read somewhere that if her coat is dull then she's missing something in her diet. Can anyone tell me anymore on this? I usually put some liquid supplement drops for healthy skin and coat in her food once daily. I also sometimes give her a little bit of coconut oil. Also, she is constantly scratching at her face. She has been to the vet for it, twice, and they could not find any fleas or any parasite or anything on her skin at all. I am planning on making her homemade dog food to see if food allergies could be the problem. I have tried grain free dog food as well with no improvement. Plus I read that dog food is very bad for them and if we fed our dogs raw homemade dog food then they can live up to age 27! That's very hard to believe but don't we all love our precious little cuddle bugs?!
In that same article, it said that dog food is made up of dead animals, including ones that have been put down through euthanasia. It said that this very potent toxic chemical is still active in the dog food. They even said that even the most well-known dog food brands contain it and even if the labels say all natural that it does not necessarily mean it is true. The dog food manufactures don't have to list all of the chemicals especially the harmful preservatives that are put into the dog food prior to their arrival at the manufacturer.
I would hate to find that all of this is true! After all, not everything that you read on the internet is true! The first link is where I found most of the very disturbing info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLu1rm-zGE

http://www.naturalnews.com/012647_pet_food_dog.html

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/shocking-truth-about-dog-food/

The only issue that I have with her is sometimes she will poop in the house without even telling me that she has to go out! Any other time she tells me! She doesn't pee in the house though. I'm convinced she's doing it out of spite if I leave for a few hours. This is when other people are home as well. The other night we were upstairs getting ready for bed and I saw her go downstairs and then a minute later she came back up. I immediately knew what she had done. A friend of mine also has a cockapoo and she would always do the same thing but would pee in the house as well. They never let her out so I figured that was the reason. My dog is potty trained, so I do not know what she is doing! Any ideas?!

So if anyone has any info on how to get her coat to be shiny and more manageable WITHOUT grooming her completely, please post! OR do you have any pictures of your cockapoo's long coat for specific grooming styles? Also, any info on her constant scratching of her face would be great!
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Your poo is adorable she looks like a teddy bear! I feed Molly Acana it's all natural and her coat is fine. I am going to start giving her some coconut oil as it's supposed to be good for them:) Molly is healthy and happy but in the winter I find a short coat is way easier as not as much stuff gets stuck in her fur! She wears her equafleece to keep her warm! Can't offer much advice on having a long coat cause I am a fan of the short coat:D I'm sure someone will be able to help!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
She is absolutely adorable. My two are fed Orijen and their coats are really shiny and soft. I also use shampoo from the internet that has essential oils mixed in to ward off bugs. Every time I try to grow them out, it's too hard keeping them brushed so they stay on the shorter side. Does she scratch all over or just her face. If it's just the face I would suspect less food issues and more contact allergies. My previous dog had poultry allergy and she was a hot mess all over whenever she ate some chicken or turkey. Beemer just peed in the house earlier tonight because I was working on a project and not paying enough attention and I wouldn't let him bark at the neighbor swimming with his kid. It was a tantrum as he asked to go out a bit later.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I find that when my cockapoo's cost gets longer, the ends always go frizzy but I think it's more because of the daily grooming. I guess just like if we don't get our hair cut for a long time, the ends become damaged and split.

Your girl is gorgeous :) lovely long cocker spaniel ears. Imagine if they did live until 27!

Xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Your lookignat 15 being the max and even then your dog is likely to be very stiff. remember a dog ages rughly 7 year in one year.

as for coat, the cockapoo coat is not a coat to be kept very long espetaly mot the poodle tipe coats as they matt so easily but the coat is weeker than on the poodle, because they a woollier the only cockapoos who can be maintained in a full coat have coats that are long silky and flat like the tabbetin terrier.

She is still vey young most cockapoos don't last in a full coat after 18 months of age. It takes a while to find a coat length you can manage, you often need to go shorter than you would like and let it grow to a length you prefer. You need to remember that the perfect length will double in a couple of weeks and you would need to have her in at the groomers every 2 weeks, or every week for a full brush out.

what kind of shampoo and conditioners do you use and how often do you bath her as too much batthing can stripp the oils out of the coat. and if you leave her to air dry that can make tye matting worce always brush and blowdry after a bathe.

does she wair a harness that might explain the chest matting. Also her out door coat will cause matting

But some cockapoos but matt like crazy one of my girlsstarts getting tuggy an hour after being groomes its always her tail where it starts.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Your cockapoo is very cute. Welcome to ILMC.

I think her coat is dull because it's very poodle like, almost fleece like. I don't think it's the type of coat that will look glossy or shiny. As Kendell said, it's also the most difficult coat type to keep long due to texture and matting.

Not sure why she's still doing the odd poo in the house, she's maybe not telling you because she's in a habit now and doesn't realise it's wrong. I would work my best to pre-empt when she's going to go and take her outside and give lots of praise. Right back to like when you trained her as a hound puppy. Dogs do not have human emotions and she would not be pooing in spite, she needs a bit more direction from you. Dogs are pleasers.

We all love our cockapoos :)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Our beagle peed in spite, strategically too! She once jumped on a long bench and peed on every single cushion along its length when we left her. :eek:

I wonder if you might not be rinsing her face carefully enough after bathing and soap residue is to blame? If it was bugs or dry skin or even allergies you would think she'd be itchy everywhere? :confused: Good luck with finding an answer!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I keep my dogs coat short. His is very soft and impossible to keep Matt free.....who has the time or the energy to be endlessly grooming! As for dogs not wanting revenge.hmmmm! We had a mini schnauzer called Emma and if she was really upset with us she would attempt to go and poo in your shoe. She inherited this trait from her auntie who successfully did a poo in a handbag! :D. I kid you not.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I keep my dogs coat short. His is very soft and impossible to keep Matt free.....who has the time or the energy to be endlessly grooming! As for dogs not wanting revenge.hmmmm! We had a mini schnauzer called Emma and if she was really upset with us she would attempt to go and poo in your shoe. She inherited this trait from her auntie who successfully did a poo in a handbag! :D. I kid you not.
Lol! I know when I read dog stuff it always says dogs don't think like we do so never have revenge in their minds but some stories really make it seem that way!
As for coats, I think most has already been said, if you brush a dry coat a lot it seems to make it more dull, better to spray with something first, but yes I'm afraid like so many others I discovered after quite a while of trying that it was just not really workable having a longer coat, I loved my dogs coat at 10-12 months but as he got older it just grew thicker and looked wider rather than the 'dripping in coat' look he had, had previously. Good luck with the food search, please let us know if you think you find the answer, Dudley scratches a bit and chews his back feet, although I'm thinking that maybe just habit now.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
That was made even funnier by your comment "I kid you not" hahaha :D

Reactions: Cat 53

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It takes a while to find a coat length you can manage, you often need to go shorter than you would like and let it grow to a length you prefer. You need to remember that the perfect length will double in a couple of weeks and you would need to have her in at the groomers every 2 weeks, or every week for a full brush out.

what kind of shampoo and conditioners do you use and how often do you bath her as too much batthing can stripp the oils out of the coat. and if you leave her to air dry that can make tye matting worce always brush and blowdry after a bathe.

does she wair a harness that might explain the chest matting. Also her out door coat will cause matting

But some cockapoos but matt like crazy one of my girlsstarts getting tuggy an hour after being groomes its always her tail where it starts.
I'm just going to keep experimenting with different style cuts and lengths.
I started out with an oatmeal milk shampoo for sensitive skin. I don't bathe her often unless she's dirty or if it's been awhile. I do let her air dry because she doesn't like the dryer but I do brush her before and after. She has never worn a harness either. I did notice matting after I took off her sweater.
My baby only has a nub for a tail :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your cockapoo is very cute. Welcome to ILMC.

Not sure why she's still doing the odd poo in the house, she's maybe not telling you because she's in a habit now and doesn't realise it's wrong. I would work my best to pre-empt when she's going to go and take her outside and give lots of praise. Right back to like when you trained her as a hound puppy. Dogs do not have human emotions and she would not be pooing in spite, she needs a bit more direction from you. Dogs are pleasers.

We all love our cockapoos :)
She knows she does wrong when she does it. All I have to say is what did you do. After she does it, she won't go into the room and knows that I will find it. And when I tell her to come here she runs away with her head down. It's just very bizarre that she does not tell me that she has to go out.
When she started doing it, I did pretty much start all over and praise her a lot and would give her treats after. It fixed it for a little bit then she went back to pooping in the house again. Keep in mind that this is only maybe once or twice a week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our beagle peed in spite, strategically too! She once jumped on a long bench and peed on every single cushion along its length when we left her. :eek:

I wonder if you might not be rinsing her face carefully enough after bathing and soap residue is to blame? If it was bugs or dry skin or even allergies you would think she'd be itchy everywhere? :confused: Good luck with finding an answer!
I really don't put much shampoo on her face and don't bathe her too often unless she needs it. I hope to find out the answer very soon! Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find that when my cockapoo's cost gets longer, the ends always go frizzy but I think it's more because of the daily grooming. I guess just like if we don't get our hair cut for a long time, the ends become damaged and split.

Your girl is gorgeous :) lovely long cocker spaniel ears. Imagine if they did live until 27!

Xx
Thank you! I agree with the split end thing and that's where it's most unruly, frizzy and coarse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHA that is pretty funny! dogs are something else, I'll tell ya!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Keep gong with the drier, she is going to have a very thick coat and unless you can blow dry the coat to help free up the hair then you are going to be looking at a shave off at some point, also the more work you do at home means an easier job for your groomer as she will stand still longer.

Jumpers and dog coats cause a lot of matting on dogs with long hair, the friction tangles the hair, also don't rub her dry after a bath, squeeze the hair dry with a towel, again rubbing with a towel creates fiction which results in tangles hair and matts.

Invest in some got brushes, especially a stiff slicker brush and a good mettle comb.

It can take a while to find a cut that works for you. My two eldist girls are 7years old and I still play about their their length, but in general I go shorter in winter and longer in the summer as it's easier to keep a longer coat I. Dry weather than in wet, I live in Scotland so we have more wet weather than dry lol.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Can anyone advise as to why Izzy might be popping inside? I really don't believe dogs do things out of spite, they don't have it in them. We are always humanising them and I don't think it's an accurate representation of dogs personalities, traits and emotions.

I am a believer that it's all in the training and it's down to us as owners to make sure they do as we want. I also know I've been lucky with my two. I think trained dogs poop inside not because they want to but because they haven't any other choice. Whether they got distracted when out, we don't read the signals correctly or something has changed either in their routine or health.

I hope someone can help you. Izzy is lovely.

Reactions: Izzy.Baby
1 - 20 of 27 Posts