I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what is the best thing to do when they suddenly turn aggressive and try to bite?
I want to put a muzzle but I don't know if there is one that allows the dog to eat and drink. I am too scared to do certain things in case he has a bad turn and bites me. So far I have avoided getting bitten, but I know is going to happen.
Thank you

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Much more information needed - how old is he? What was he doing ad what were you doing? Is this the first time this has happened? What sort of daily routine does your dog have? What training have you done and what things do you find difficult to do?

Dpgs are not generally aggressive for no reason and you need to understand the reason for the warning to address that to resolve the problem. In the majority of case dogs who intend to bite will bite so a tried to bite I would take as a serious warning from the dog and it may well be you need to get a local trainer involved - but if you can give me much more information I can try to help.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, he's 7 years old, I am pet sitting him, I would like to pet sitting him in the future so it would be nice if I could get some advice.
He's adorable aside from this turns which are very scary.
The first time it happened I wanted to pick him up without realising he had a treat in front of him, that I gave him 30 minutes previous to the event.
Second time it was at night time and I touch his bed lightly and he turned again, this time he immediately went under my bed.
Third time he was sitting in the middle of the bed as I was going to bed myself, pulled the quilt lightly to get him of the bed and suddenly turned to bite me again.
Fourth time he was sitting next to my daughter on her bed and she stroked him around the top of the back leg and he suddenly turned to bite her.
Luckily we have managed to move in time to not get bitten, but worry about the next time.
The owner says he's very possessive with blankets, quilts, and his toys and nobody is allowed to pick him up but her.
The owner said that it has happened before with members of her family.
I would like advise, I am scared of getting bitten, so if you could help I would be very grateful, I adore this dog, so sweet any other times 😊

· Registered
4,736 Posts
OK so he is resource guarding then - totally manageable but you need to listen to his warnings and avoid all the flashpoints his owner has warned you about - things like not giving him treats which will last any length of time as otherwise he will guard them as he is worried you will take it away. I would also avoid trying to pick him up totally.

If he is on a bed and you want to fuss him or need to move him call him to you for a treat rather than trying to physically move him. I would probably keep bedroom doors open so he can not settle on your bed to sleep.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
As long as the dog is happy in there you could use a playpen if the dog is given some sort of longer lasting chew and make it clear to everyone in the family that the dog must be left alone in there - but as long as people can follow the rules to not approach the dog and call them to you if they want to interact you should be OK.

Understanding a guarding dog is the key, the dog is not looking for trouble or to bite anyone and is just defending things they feel are important to them - think in human terms, if I have a lovely cake and you try and take it from me I might tell you to leave me alone and the same if I am laying asleep on the sofa and you try to shift me or otherwise disturb me, if my warnings are not listened to or we do not share a common language I may have to increase the level of how much I defend myself - the same is true for dogs, he is not being aggressive, just defending himself from what he perceives as you being aggressive towards him and trying to remove him from places or remove things from him. He will be giving warnings long before a growl or snap but they are subtle and you need experience to learn them - things like him freezing, looking away from you or giving you a certain look will all be his attempts to tell you to please leave him alone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts