I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother's puppy is now eight months old. I came to this site while looking for information on castration.

I am getting a bit fed up with this puppy. I think that his behaviour is becoming increasingly sexualised.

My mother is very fond of her purchase. I had thought she was going to buy a Burmese cat.

But she is not so fond of him humping her leg and biting her.

I have him with me at the moment in the computer room. Whereas earlier on he was happy to rest. At the moment he is barking and snorting and whimpering etc.

He went quiet for a moment and I heard some rather unusual noises. He was eating a special dress that she had hung up on the outside of a wardrobe.

I am not very happy with this dog!

When I phone my mother I constantly hear a chorus of 'stop' etc etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It sounds like you just need to invest in some decent training sessions with a trainer that works with positive re-enforcement. A puppy isn't just a 'purchase' it's a dog's lifetime's worth of investing time, patience, and love.

You need to think to yourself, why is the dog acting this way? He will likely be chewing clothing because he is bored, and you are not supplying enough mental or physical stimulation. Again, he's likely humping because he is not being kept busy enough, and especially at that age, he's going through adolescence and this is very usual behaviour. He is likely barking and whimpering as he requires attention.

Regarding this behaviour, you need to ensure he is kept stimulated enough. He has been barking and whimpering to get your attention, as he is likely bored. He's not got the attention he's been after, so he's escalated the behaviour to start chewing on items he shouldn't be chewing on to get your attention. It's worked, & now he's learned to get attention, he can pick something to chew on.
Make sure he has enough toys, and chews around. Perhaps invest in a Snufflemat to keep him busy at times where time can't be spent directly with him, and Kongs. Buy a handful of Kongs and keep them stuffed & in the freezer.

Please encourage your mother to invest in some good training sessions, and PLEASE do not just jump to the conclusion he needs to be castrated. It is 100% NOT always the answer to behavioural 'issues' - I strongly recommend you invest in training before making such a big decision.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
As Beckymnd says it sounds as though he is not getting the stimulation he needs and is getting bored. Dogs generally need walking every day, training to teach them the right thing to do rather than telling them to stop doing something. He did not know it was a special dress hung up - to him it was something her could play with after getting bored.

Not sure why you are thinking the behaviour is increasingly sexualised as he just sounds like a normal bored pup to me. Definitely well worth getting some training help, either classes or on a one to one basis to give some tips and assistance on the behaviour which is causing issues

1 - 3 of 3 Posts