I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else married to a non-dog person? He doesn't dislike dogs but is totally indifferent to them even after owning one (it took me and my 3 kids 2 years to persuade him to have our last one and another 2 years to agree to our new one!)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
why is it so imprortant that he likes the dog, were you wanting him to take up some of the responcability. my stepdad is more of a cat man(well he likes to sit and pet them but its me and my mum who take care lf the) when it comes to the dogs thd deal is we dont say how many bikes he can has and he cant say how many dogs we have, he is never exspected to walk them or do anything for them. the only thig we ask is for him tl watch them if we are both out.

probably when your not about he will show the dog affection. tobd honest the dogs probaby respect him more because he doesnt fuss over them.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My hubby didn't particularly want to get another dog but knew that I needed one, but he is so madly in love with Dylan that he spoils him more than I do! It would take a very unusual person not to love a cockapoo just a little once you have him. But I do all the "dog maintenance" so it wouldn't really have made too much difference. Just see how it goes once you have Dexter.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
My parents are in their late 70's and my mum has a gorgeous black 3 yo cockapoo bitch 'Cleo'. In all their married life, more than 50 years, this is the first dog that my dad has allowed into the house as he is not a doggy man either. Mum has made it tolerable for him by training her to be a very polite dog in the house. Now Cleo automatically puts herself in her crate when they sit down for a meal and stays there until they finish, she is happy to be kenneled outside for some of the time and is so attentive to my mum, the apple of her eye. The only problem comes when Cleo tries so hard to gain acceptance from my dad when she first comes in and is excited, he doesn't like that. So my suggestion would be to get your dog really well trained early on as that is very endearing. Don't try to force your OH to love the dog, get the dog to win him over in time. It can be done.

All the best.

Julia

Attachments

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not really important to me Kendal and I don't expect anything of my OH when it comes to our dog. I dont expect him to walk it , feed it etc. Just wondered if anyone else was in the same situation. I am such a dog-lover myself but perhaps it's because I was brought up with dogs and my OH wasn't.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My parents are in their late 70's and my mum has a gorgeous black 3 yo cockapoo bitch 'Cleo'. In all their married life, more than 50 years, this is the first dog that my dad has allowed into the house as he is not a doggy man either. Mum has made it tolerable for him by training her to be a very polite dog in the house. Now Cleo automatically puts herself in her crate when they sit down for a meal and stays there until they finish, she is happy to be kenneled outside for some of the time and is so attentive to my mum, the apple of her eye. The only problem comes when Cleo tries so hard to gain acceptance from my dad when she first comes in and is excited, he doesn't like that. So my suggestion would be to get your dog really well trained early on as that is very endearing. Don't try to force your OH to love the dog, get the dog to win him over in time. It can be done.

All the best.

Julia
I love the pic of your mum with her best friend

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Jools, Cleo is beautiful - I love the way she is looking up at your Mum Julia.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
My husband was not into dogs at all...actually he was scared to death of them...but he loves me soooo much that after 6 years of asking, he got me our little Lady....well now HE IS SUCH A DOG GUY!!!!! he loves them all, not affraid anymore in the slightests.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 years is quite a long time Amanda! I can't imagine not falling in love with your little Lady though - I'm glad she converted him.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
oh Tessy at least you dont have to share !!! The dogs are really mine but my husbands all gushy with them, loves that they greet him and he's all " hello princess" in a high pitched voice to Mable !!! Julia is Cleo one of yours ? if any dog can do it then a cockapoo can x

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Karen your black and white cockapoo looks just how I expect Dexter will turn out (he is 6 weeks old). Is that Wilfi or Mabel?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This is just how I feel. I pestered and pestered my husband about getting a dog and eventually he bought me one on the proviso that it was MY dog. He agreed to take some responsibility after I pointed out that if he sat back and did nothing, then he really wasn't entitled to pet her or play with her or anything.

But she is my dog - I get up to her, I take her to the vets etc etc. I thought he would be more at ease with her because he had a dog when he was growing up. But it turns out, it was his sister's dog and it was when he was a teenager and out of the house a lot.

I think he just isn't a dog person. He doesn't 'get' Rosie the way I do. But he is getting closer to her, mainly because I let him take her to the pub some evenings, as long as he gives her a walk first. He doesn't know many people in our village because he works such long hours, so he wouldn't normally get to go to the pub! But then she goes and spoils it all by peeing on his feet when he gets in from work!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Tessy, I have nt been on for a while so I must have missed your posts about getting Dexter ... Im sure I'll catch up soon. Mable s the blue roan... is Dexter turning roan already, Mable s 7 months now and her colouring is still changing, differing degrees of grey now really ... only very small patch of white left on the top of her head... have you posted pictures, i'll have a search. Not long to go now then x x x x

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Louise- Rosie is gorgeous - I'm glad I'm not the only one with a non-dog loving hubby!

Karen - Dexter has quite a lot of white on him, his Dad being a white poodle but the black freckles are certainly present in the white and I assume it will be more prominent as he gets older.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This is just how I feel. I pestered and pestered my husband about getting a dog and eventually he bought me one on the proviso that it was MY dog. He agreed to take some responsibility after I pointed out that if he sat back and did nothing, then he really wasn't entitled to pet her or play with her or anything.

But she is my dog - I get up to her, I take her to the vets etc etc. I thought he would be more at ease with her because he had a dog when he was growing up. But it turns out, it was his sister's dog and it was when he was a teenager and out of the house a lot.

I think he just isn't a dog person. He doesn't 'get' Rosie the way I do. But he is getting closer to her, mainly because I let him take her to the pub some evenings, as long as he gives her a walk first. He doesn't know many people in our village because he works such long hours, so he wouldn't normally get to go to the pub! But then she goes and spoils it all by peeing on his feet when he gets in from work!
Ha ha, Louise, the peeing on his feet bit:) I am thinking maybe he 'gets' her more than he is letting on, mind you, but it suits him just to take her to the pub when he likes;) I bet he meets more folks than he would if he was on his own - cockapoos being as cute as they are. Anyway, everybody gets something good out of her just being there - so a win win scenario :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts