I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly not a cockapoo though :( and I did try to persuade them otherwise ;)

They are getting a Jack Russell and she sounds adorable, I'm soooo excited for them :)

I have a question though and I think I know the answer but thought where better to go for opinions and advice than here :D

We are due to visit my parents the weekend 9th/10th March. They pick the new puppy up on the 9th, she will come with her first jabs done. I don't think we should take Archie up there until she's had her 2nd jabs and is safe to go out, my parents disagree.

My question is, would you take your dog to a house to stay if the puppy had only had 1 lot of innoculations?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I thought it was fine to mix with dogs if you know they are fully vaccinated, in fact I thought I read that was a good thing to do as part of the early socialization. - will check The perfect puppy again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My parents also have just got a puppy (Holly) who is a Jack Russell cross. We had the same question so they asked their vet and it was totally fine for Deefer to visit as soon as we liked. The problem apparently is dogs who have not be innoculated. Those that are up to date with injections cause no issues. Puppies need the second innoculation before the streets are safe.

Hope this helps and tell Archie to watch his ears.. Hollly just loves to grab a cockapoo ear! (oh and tail!)

Sue

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Now, i know someone will correct me if I am wrong....Archie has all of his shots, so it should be fine. The risk is of the puppy being around dogs who could be carrying somehting...which Archie having all his shots wont be.

But please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OOoooh - see, now this is why I love this forum :D I was all ready to postpone our trip ... Archie is definitley upto date with his innoculations and is very much a healthy (little chubsters ;) ) puppy, well used to getting his ears nipped (the cats do it all the time!)

EXCITING! :D :D :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hee hee! Presume from that that he has the same enthusiastic approach to other dogs that his sister does! But everyone in our village thinks she's so lovely and are really jealous! Even though she is so boisterous at times... but she can also be really sweet and cute with other dogs and puppies.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hee hee! Presume from that that he has the same enthusiastic approach to other dogs that his sister does! But everyone in our village thinks she's so lovely and are really jealous! Even though she is so boisterous at times... but she can also be really sweet and cute with other dogs and puppies.
Oh yes, Archie loves, loves, loves other dogs - not phased at all by size or age :) Everyone who meets Archie tell us how lovely he is, but he does look like a real life teddy so it's easy to fall for the little chap. He is going through a particularly boisterous period at the moment, runs around like a loon for hours and hours, then crashes and burns for hours and hours: repeat as needed ;)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
We did the same as everyone else has said above. When Izzie was a pup we let a friend bring their border collie round knowing it had all its vacs up to date. & obviously when you bring a second dog home the first dog will have to be around the pup, so I suppose it has to be fine in that respect? Enjoy meeting the new pup :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There will be an abundance of photos I can guarantee that!

I am trying to think of names to suggest for them, my folks are in their 70's so I suspect they'll name her something quite safe but I've thrown Doris in as my choice :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.