I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having a good couple of weeks :(

I have had the flu and missed my birthday and the start of Freddy's agility, and I am still recovering from it one week later....

and now I've got a poorly 'poo too! We thought it was just the heat to start off with, as Freddy had stopped eating his food and wasn't drinking very much. Then Sunday and Monday he started being sick, mainly just bile because his tummy is empty. But today, really scared me because he started having Diarrhoea and it was like he had absolutely no control, and the liquid was the colour of bolognese sauce.

At lunchtime he went again, but this time it came out bright red and was mucas. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I rang the vets and I've got to take him in at 16.10.

I am so worried about him because he is SO not his usual self, he is sleeping all the time, he normally follows me everywhere, but isn't and he looks SO sad and small.

I hope he is going to be OK. We are a right pair - sicknote 1 and sicknote 2.

Has anyone else experienced the bloody mucas with their dogs? Could you reassure me that its normal?

Its so awful having to sit here and wait for his appointment time....

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh no, Please update us on the vets and what they think, I hope taht it is somthing easily treatable and he will be back to himself in no time....poor Freddie! and poor You.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your kind thoughts...

The vets think Freddy has gastroenteritus from eating something bad. He got given 5 injections of various things, some special dog food to eat and some gel stuff that I have to squirt into his mouth to help settle his tummy.

I have got to take him back again on Thursday for a check up, unless he deteriorates, in which case I have to go back tomorrow.

The good news was that he wasn't at all dehydrated, which was my big fear as he hasn't drunk anything in this hot weather. I guess it just shows, how robust our cockapoos are!

phew....sigh....deep breath.... and relax again :smile:

now just got to tell my husband how much it all cost.... :eek:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Get Well Soon Freddy:hug:

Treacle had similar last year - she had eaten a baby toad [we think!] and was right as rain 24 hours later - we had anti sickness jab - the squirty gel and special food!

Hope he perks back quickly x

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello everyone. Freddy is doing much better. He is eating his food and I have moved him back on to his dry food with a little of the vets "tummy settling" food mixed in. He is going to the toilet again normally which is a good sign.

I wouldn't say he was 100% better though, he is still quite lethargic and not his normal bouncy happy self. He is also panting a lot more than he used to which I am slightly concerned about.

I know its taking me some time to bounce back from my illness, so maybe its the same for him?

He had a check up appointment at the vets yesterday and they said everything was good. He had to have another two injections, but they said he was well in every other way.

I just can't wait for my normal Freddy to come back.... I miss him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.