I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new on here , i brought home our chocolate cockapoo on Saturday he is 11weeks old . i am feeding him on royal canin junior as advised by breeder however he has a few mouth fulls and walks off . i have done scrambled egg with it , wet it ,and he still licks at it and walks off . i am really worried because he is not nearly eating enough . he had a quick puppy check on Monday at the vets and she said he should be eating for 5 mins ,not very helpful. he is settling in lovely though i think ,i am just very worried .
thankyou lynda

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont pander to him. if he doesnt eat it then within 15 minutes then pick it up and give it next meal time. dont give him any treats, and try playing games with him so he burns off energy (will be easyer when you can take him out for a walk) the only time you i would worry to much about a puppy not eating is if they become lathargic. he will eat it when he is hungree the more you play about with his food the more he will mess you about. Gypsy was terable as a puppy for eatting.

what did you call your pup, would love to see photos.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
thankyou , i called him ollie . when i load thewm up i will post photos , iam warn out its just like being a new mum again after 22 years x

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh yeah, Dexter used to worry me too. But seriously, as long as they eat some then it is ok. They aren't the type of breed that gulps down anything in front of them. Dex is still a picky eater. He is totally house trained now so we just leave a little food down and he eats when he wants to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jersey is the same way. He only eats 1/4 of a cup and he's only four months. Don't be concerned unless he gets thin or seems sick. How many times do you feed him? If you feed him three times a day he may be ready to reduce it to only twice.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The breeder that I got Darla from gave me a bag of Hill's Science plan, really expensive and meant to be really good. Darla has always eaten ok so stuck with it. Recently she had a bad tummy, runny poo's, slimy poo's and trouble going. Took her down the vets, various drugs and no food for 24hrs then boiled chicken and rice which she ate for 5 days. Put her back on her normal food and almost instantly she had an upset stomach. Back to square one. Read what was in the food, full of wheat, soya, barley etc etc.
Have now got her on Nature's Harvest (70% meat content, no wheat, no barley etc etc) as a wet food and James Wellbeloved cereal free kibble (again no wheat, no barley etc etc) as a dry mixer. She now can't wait for meal times, sits watching whilst it's being put in her bowl, whines if you take too long and then licks the bowl clean every single time, she didn't do this with her old food. Can't believe the difference it has made to her eating habits and tummy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, think we've cracked it with the James Wellbeloved kibble. As some of you will know, Brontie went right off her dried biscuits almost within 3-4 of us changing to it (although at first she had seemed to really enjoy it). And she's a very slim puppy so not carrying any extra weight yet. Well, we've added a third of a packet of the JW wet food to it today and she loves it. Suppose eating all dried food must be really boring! Judging from the feeding amounts recommended for her current weight and age, this seems to be a good way forward for now. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I think they are just a fussy breed .. Wilf probably only fed reasonably ok from being 2 ... we changed all different foods .. would think we'd cracked it but he would only be interested , say on the first day, bags would last months not the number of days it said on the bag... he'd go three days sometimes. As i've said before we used to pretend to eat his food to try to encourage him.Mabel on the hand is a right greedy .... thing... I dont think she got her share before we got her and would sqeel and panic when being fed...she'd eat til she was sick x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Dylan is certainly not fussy - he has eaten immediately everything that has been put in front of him since the day we got him! The only thing he isn't keen on are raw carrots.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rufus is eating the food his breeder gave him and he was fine about eating, even very excited about eating for the first week or so, but the last few days he has been taking a bite and then just walking around like he doesn't even care or want to eat. I'm not sure if he's eating too often or what's the deal. I think he is just a little fussy-butt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pepper was given scrambled eggs every morning by the breeder which he loved .. he also had bakers complete ... we slowly weaned him off the eggs and moved him onto Arden Grange puppy food .. he has just moved onto the full adult food (he is now 11 months).. he has always been a bit picky and would never just pile in for his food .. I used to heat it up in the micro and that seemed to do the job .. or put a tiny bit of gravy or milk over it ... Just had him castrated and he now wants to eat everything within sight! Arden Grange seems to be very good food

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Same with Flo. A really picky eater when she was a puppy and tried everything. Put food on floor instead of in bowl, added warm water, mixed in extras (raw egg, goats milk, everything I could think of) but she always seemed reluctant/not bothered about eating - although she was very happy to get bits of steak from the BBQ. Since she was spayed she always seems hungry so I am very careful about giving her a precise weight of food each day to make sure she doesn't over eat. She still wouldn't tuck into a bowl of dry kibble though so I always add a tablespoon of something and stir it through - tuna, rice, egg, a small piece of Nature Diet, frozen peas, trimmings from green beans - whatever we happen to have to hand. I also brought a small bag of giant kibble (James Wellbeloved) which are really large pieces and add 3 or 4 to the bowl to work her jaws and clean her teeth.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi, think we've cracked it with the James Wellbeloved kibble. As some of you will know, Brontie went right off her dried biscuits almost within 3-4 of us changing to it (although at first she had seemed to really enjoy it). And she's a very slim puppy so not carrying any extra weight yet. Well, we've added a third of a packet of the JW wet food to it today and she loves it. Suppose eating all dried food must be really boring! Judging from the feeding amounts recommended for her current weight and age, this seems to be a good way forward for now. Will keep you posted.
I think they sometimes just need a different taste to keep them interested. My vet suggested buying smaller bags then when you have used one bag change to a different flavour. So maybe stick with JW but when she finishes one bag buy a different flavour. Don't change the flavour every day otherwise she may get picky and if you put down a flavour she doesn't fancy that day she may wait it out till you give her a different one. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same problem with Alfie , glad it's not just me ! He's on Wainwrights dry puppy food , he'll eat but not as much as states on the packet. The vet said he could do will a bit more weight on him !! but what can I do without spoiling him and making things worse. The advice I got from Pets at Home was "don't mess with his food , he'll eat when he's hungry". He's full of life , not lathargic at all but still can't help but worry, he'll be 13 weeks tomorrow :confused:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm having the same problem with Alfie , glad it's not just me ! He's on Wainwrights dry puppy food , he'll eat but not as much as states on the packet. The vet said he could do will a bit more weight on him !! but what can I do without spoiling him and making things worse. The advice I got from Pets at Home was "don't mess with his food , he'll eat when he's hungry". He's full of life , not lathargic at all but still can't help but worry, he'll be 13 weeks tomorrow :confused:
Maybe mix a little wet food with the kibble. Nature Diet is really good quality and comes in a box which is one meal. I slice into 6 bits then mash a slice with Flo's kibble. Then keep the rest in fridge and take a slice out for each meal. I don't get this 'they'll eat if they are hungry' thing too much. It's a bit like serving up dry ryvitas to the family all the time, they'll eat them eventually but they won't like it. Flo has just settled now with JW kibble and a small slice of Nature Diet mixed in and it's not a big deal to do. Also I buy a small bag of kibble and when she has finisehd one flavour I switch to another flavour to keep her interested. She doesn't wolf it down but now enjoys her food.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Gosh I'd forgotten not only did we pretend to eat out of Wilf s bowl to try to get him interested but we used ti finger feed him and like you said Mandy put it on the floor ... there was often a trail of food leading up to his bowl. Easiest thing to do is get another pup .. clean plates lol x

1 - 20 of 36 Posts