I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday night at about Midnight I let Nacho out to go to the toilet and he picked something up in the grass and refused to drop it and ran away. He is normally pretty good at drop when there is a treat in my hand to replace it but not this time!! As he ran he started making the most horrific noises and by the time I found him in my rather large garden in the pitch black with just my torch on my mobile he was lying on his side shaking. I have never ever felt more useless in my life. I legged it with him in my arms back inside and literally began to try do the heimlich maneuver and gently rub his throat to dislodge the mass in it. He started coughing and then swallowed whatever it was lodged in his throat rather than throw it back up. I ended staying up with him all night as he was extremely withdrawn and quiet.

Since then he has been periodically under the weather but has continued to eat and drink and enjoy a good walk everyday as well as wee and poo normally. However he keeps throwing up after every meal and won't touch his bones or pigs ears (although still very territorial over them). He's also taking much longer to eat his meals rather than guzzle them down as usual. Maybe he has a sore throat?

This whole incident could b a complete coincidence to the throwing up thing but even in the last few days I can feel he has lost quite a bit of weight. I changed his kibble flavour from Burns Lamb and Rice to Burns Chicken and Rice and have started adding Burns meat pouches (only a little bit at a time and not for every meal). Could this be why he is throwing up? Would the kibble change from lamb to chicken or the addition of the meat be a factor? - It's not like he has never had meat - he's always eating our left over roast chickens and beef!

I don't want to overreact but would like some advice. Should I rush him to the vets or just change his food back before doing anything?

Pretty rough few days and the thought of losing Nacho on Thursday night nearly sent me over the edge.

· Administrator
5,034 Posts
is he throwing up every meal, have you had a feel at his tummy incase what ever he ate hasnt passed. have you seen anything in his poos.

it mught be an idea to pop down to the vets just to get him checked over.

My Inca was very tender round her tummy when she was bunged up with the dummy she swalowed.

· Registered
4,586 Posts
You poor thing!!! He may well have a sore throat from his experience but I too would advise a trip to the vets, as he is a picker upper, he may have eaten something indigestable that is stuck in his system! My dads dog had these symptoms when he had swallowed a rib bone and while I worked in kennels we had a young lab with the same , he had eaten a marble. My friends dog also was sick and losing weight......eventually he bought up a whole dog toy!!!!!!
So definately take Nacho to the vets, just to be sure. I don't think any of the food would make him ill.
Good luck and keep us posted!
:hug:

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
is he throwing up every meal, have you had a feel at his tummy incase what ever he ate hasnt passed. have you seen anything in his poos.

it mught be an idea to pop down to the vets just to get him checked over.

My Inca was very tender round her tummy when she was bunged up with the dummy she swalowed.

Hi Kendal

I can't feel anything around his tummy area but then that doesn't mean there isn't something there. Whatever he ate was large but as I haven't found anything in his poo and his stools are normal and solid (excuse the detail). Would he have normal bowels if there was something bad still in his tummy? I thought it could have been an apple core (we have dozens of apple trees in the garden) but I cant be sure what it was.

He has thrown up every meal but last night but then has thrown up again this morning. (I changed the kibble from lamb to rice on Friday morning - pure coincidence that was when the last batch ran out). He tries to eat what he's thrown back up.... is this normal?

I have just rang the vet and I have an appointment at 3.50 today. I am really glad i have booked the appointment as he is growling at me now when i stroke him - something he has never done before!! Very sad mummy right now x

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Kendal

I can't feel anything around his tummy area but then that doesn't mean there isn't something there. Whatever he ate was large but as I haven't found anything in his poo and his stools are normal and solid (excuse the detail). Would he have normal bowels if there was something bad still in his tummy? I thought it could have been an apple core (we have dozens of apple trees in the garden) but I cant be sure what it was.

He has thrown up every meal but last night but then has thrown up again this morning. He tries to eat what he's thrown back up.... is this normal?

I have just rang the vet and I have an appointment at 3.50 today. I am really glad i have booked the appointment as he is growling at me now when i stroke him - something he has never done before!! Very sad mummy right now x
He is hungry, thats why he is trying to eat what he is throwing up. If he gets any worse/ uncomfortable I would try for an earlier appointment if possible.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I would advise taking him to the vets too as you are not sure what he has swallowed. If he was choking then it would seem like something either big or hard to digest.

Hopefully it may be something that he will pass so keep an eye on him when he poos. But for peace of mind and reassurance think a vet trip would be my preference.

Hope you get him sorted and let us all know how it goes. little buggers aren't they- like to keep us on our toes!!

Big hugs x

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Susie is Nacho drinking? If he is I would be happy to wait until this afternoon, if not or if when he does he is sick then get him in ASAP.
Sorry I don't want to panic you but being a puppy, they can dehydrate really quickley.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Susie is Nacho drinking? If he is I would be happy to wait until this afternoon, if not or if when he does he is sick then get him in ASAP.
Sorry I don't want to panic you but being a puppy, they can dehydrate really quickley.
Thanks Karen. I have noticed he is drinking more than usual actually and doesn't throw up after drinking. He literally just got out of his basket and spent a good 30 seconds drinking then went back to sleep. I've noticed it because i always thought that he doesn't drink very much and the fact he is drinking more worries me further :confused:

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Thanks Karen. I have noticed he is drinking more than usual actually and doesn't throw up after drinking. He literally just got out of his basket and spent a good 30 seconds drinking then went back to sleep. I've noticed it because i always thought that he doesn't drink very much and the fact he is drinking more worries me further :confused:
Keep a close eye that he isn't bringing his water back up as he may be doing this with out you noticing, check his bed, as water obviously takes less effort to throw up than food. I would ring vets again and explain how concerned you are and that you would prefer to be seen as soon as, just for the fact he is so young and things happen so much more rapidly in pups. I would be very surprised if your boy hasn't eaten something and it is stuck.
GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT OVER REACTING, HE IS YOUR DOG AND YOU KNOW HIM BETTER THAN ANY ONE. Push for an urgent appointment if you are not happy to wait.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep a close eye that he isn't bringing his water back up as he may be doing this with out you noticing, check his bed, as water obviously takes less effort to throw up than food. I would ring vets again and explain how concerned you are and that you would prefer to be seen as soon as, just for the fact he is so young and things happen so much more rapidly in pups. I would be very surprised if your boy hasn't eaten something and it is stuck.
GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT OVER REACTING, HE IS YOUR DOG AND YOU KNOW HIM BETTER THAN ANY ONE. Push for an urgent appointment if you are not happy to wait.
Thanks Karen. I was hard pushed to get that appointment until i explained what had happened but i know they wouldn't be able to refuse me if i bashed down their doors with pup in arms! Tbh i'm ok at the moment and will monitor him very closely today and if i am the slightest bit more concerned I can assure you I will be in my car in a heart beat. Thank you for all of the advice. It means alot! xxxx

· Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi Susie.

I can't add anything as you have had great advice from Karen and are going to the vets but just wanted to send you and Nacho a hug and I hope it goes ok this afternoon. I will keep an eye out for your update.

xx

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I take it back. I can't concentrate at work and he keeps urging. I've brought the appointment forward to half 11. I will let you know what happens. Very unhappy pup and mummy! x
I think that's for the best hun and hope he gets sorted. Bless him xx

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Just read your thread. Hope Nacho is ok and hope the vet has been able to help you/him. It's so worrying when something is not right, just as bad as children!

Do let us know how you got on. Sending :hug: to you and Nacho.

Sue

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.