I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i let rudi out in the garden, she loves to go into the bushes and then my big issue is trying to get her back in... i could wave a treat around shouting her name and she just stares at me... i even tried to just go and get her but she ran away ... any advice please!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
During the winter when it was cold and I didn't want to stand by the door waiting for Lolly or leave the door open I would call her, wait 20 seconds or so then firmly start counting backwards from 5. If she wasn't at the door by the time I got to 0 then I shut the door and walked away for a couple of minutes. Usually by the time I went back to the door Lolly was waiting on the other side. She quickly learned that my counting meant the door was going to get shut.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww thanks for your help I will try this - it always seems to be when I am rushing to work or going to bed so she must think that if she comes in I will be leaving her - I will get the treats and the long line ready for her :) xx

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Saffi did the same. In fact, it wasn’t until I read your post that I realised things have changed… She was OBSESSED with a bush in our garden and would sit under it for ages and take all her things out there. I remember it being irritating when she wouldn’t come when she was called but if I’m honest I don’t think she knew what her name was in the very early days and now she does come.

It was during the warm spell a few weeks ago and we just left the back door ajar for her to come and go.

Now she just wants to be with us!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Emily, get that liver cake made lol... and teach "come" or "here" and treat with the liver cake, she'll soon be running back in. Could need two of you to start with if one of you keeps her, show her the treat, walk away then use the command Rudi "come", "here", then when she comes give her the treat, keep repeating until she recognises the command.Have you taught her her name or sit yet??

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sorry Emily... Im getting mixed up it was Gemma who was mentioning liver cake on another thread I thought it was you !!! Its often used as a high value reward, its made from liver,flour, eggs and you bake it like a cake, a bit smelly but I think thats the appeal. If you search liver cake at the top of the page then Im sure you'll find a recipe if not I'll search mine out x

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I fry chicken livers, chop them small, then freeze them. I always put a few in my pocket when we go for walks. Dexter can be naughty when in my local park about putting his lead back on at the end of his walk but chicken livers he will always come for. Trouble is labs especially can smell them and jump up and nearly knock me over!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.