I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just recently I have been thinking of having Freddy neutered and I think I have finally got my husband on side, but I wondered if anyone could tell me what to expect.

The things I would like to know are:
How long does it take (is he likely to be in all day or just a few hours)?
What can I expect Freddy to be like afterwards?
Can he go for walks? and if not how long do I have to wait?
How long does it take for him to recover?

Are there any negatives that any owners have found since having their dog neutered?

Just read this back and I sound like a right worrier (which I am I guess!) but Freddy is my first dog and I want to be sure I am doing the right thing, as I am the one who is pushing this idea through.

Oh! one last thing - do you think I have left it too late as Freddy is now 18 months old?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well, just recently I have been thinking of having Freddy neutered and I think I have finally got my husband on side, but I wondered if anyone could tell me what to expect.

The things I would like to know are:
How long does it take (is he likely to be in all day or just a few hours)?
He will be in probably all day but the actual procedure takes around 15mins. The reason they are in so long is to allow for the pre-med to work prior to being given the anaesthetic and for him to recover well and the vet to be happy for him to leave the surgery.
What can I expect Freddy to be like afterwards?
Depends on the individual. Most are groggy that night but generally 6mo pups are bouncy again by the next day. Even sl older dogs 1yr + can take a day or so to get over the GA.
Can he go for walks? and if not how long do I have to wait?
He will have to be lead walked for around 10 days, your vet/nurse will advise you how long at a time. i usually advise 15mins or so 5-6 times a day if needed
How long does it take for him to recover?
Very quickly from the GA- usually in a couple of days for young dogs. His wound should be fully healed in 10 days but you will struggle to keep him quiet for that long!!
Are there any negatives that any owners have found since having their dog neutered?
Weight gain is a downside of neutering. The average dog will have an increase in hunger after neutering (around 25%) and a reduction in the metabolic rate (around 30%). Therefore it is important to monitor weight but more importantly shape post neuter. Because we neuter most dogs at 6m, they are still growing and gaining weight so don't panic if they put weight on as long as their body shape is correct (feel ribs without digging but not visable and a defined waist) :)

Just read this back and I sound like a right worrier (which I am I guess!) but Freddy is my first dog and I want to be sure I am doing the right thing, as I am the one who is pushing this idea through.
I would be worried if owners brought their animals in to us an weren't worried! Thats your job!! Have a chat to your vet/ nurse to put your mind at ease.

Oh! one last thing - do you think I have left it too late as Freddy is now 18 months old?
For behavioural benefit, probably but definately not for the risks of testicular cancers etc
Hope that helps x

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have just had Ollie done after much soul searching he was 17months , mainly because he had started marking and had done it in a holiday home we rented ,
Iagree with all of the above ollie was in and out in 6 hours a bit sleepy but fine ,just had to stop him jumpin up . He has stopped marking ,his appetite has increased and his personality has changed i think but we have reverted back to some basic training.
i am glad we had him done x

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
i have just had Ollie done after much soul searching he was 17months , mainly because he had started marking and had done it in a holiday home we rented ,
Iagree with all of the above ollie was in and out in 6 hours a bit sleepy but fine ,just had to stop him jumpin up . He has stopped marking ,his appetite has increased and his personality has changed i think but we have reverted back to some basic training.
At what age did Ollie start marking? This was always my biggest worry about getting a dog over a bitch. an't get Obi done for another 4months or so....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted to say "thanks" for your comments but I couldnt find the "thanks" button! Its interesting that you say that about marking, Freddy marks all the time on our walks, every 2 minutes or so! Sometimes, nothing comes out and he still raises his leg!

In what way do you think Ollie's personality changed? and can I ask when you noticed a difference. x

·
Registered
178 Posts
At what age did Ollie start marking? This was always my biggest worry about getting a dog over a bitch. an't get Obi done for another 4months or so....
ollie was marking out on walks every 2 mins , he first did it when my son moved into his new house which would have been at about 14mnths ,we didnt know what it was lol and then he did it again and we caught him . we went on holiday and rented a hoouse the 1st thing he did was mark and did it twice:(:(
thats what made my mind up ,it wasnt a 100% that that would stop it as apparently its learned behavior however he doesnt even mark on his walk now perhaps once a walk xx lynda

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wanted to say "thanks" for your comments but I couldnt find the "thanks" button! Its interesting that you say that about marking, Freddy marks all the time on our walks, every 2 minutes or so! Sometimes, nothing comes out and he still raises his leg!

In what way do you think Ollie's personality changed? and can I ask when you noticed a difference. x
hi Natasha
He just seems more food driven all the time and seems a bit more attention seeking,hes gone back to chewing shoes and pinching things and he has a dominent pawing thing going on ,its hard to explain i posted a thread on it for help if you can find it . HES still lovely and cuddly and all good really ;);)

xxlynda

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi Natasha
He just seems more food driven all the time and seems a bit more attention seeking,hes gone back to chewing shoes and pinching things and he has a dominent pawing thing going on ,its hard to explain i posted a thread on it for help if you can find it . HES still lovely and cuddly and all good really ;);)

xxlynda
Hi Lynda, found your other threads. Many thanks x

·
Registered
412 Posts
OK - apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread :D

I love this forum because I search and find answers to question I have, I was looking for some information on castration and this thread has helped perfectly!

We have been holding off on having Archie "done". But feel that we now need to investigate this further. At almost 7 months old, do you think he's about the right age to have this done?

Also, I see that some of the lovely people on here have recently had their boys & girls neutered. Have you noticed any changes in personality?

Thanks again for all your support :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Dylan was done at 8 months. He was jumping around and lively from the time I picked him up from the vets. The worse thing was the buster collar which he hated, so for the first few days I took it off during the day when he was under constant supervision and only put it on at night or when I had to leave him unsupervised. He never showed any interest in licking or biting the wound, so after about 3-4 days I left it off altogether. It was horrible not being able to walk him properly for 10 days, but apart from that, he sailed through the whole thing. His behaviour was completely unaffected but he did put on a lot of weight. I think the op coincided with the time when his food should have been reduced from puppy to adult quantity and I was a bit slow to cotton on to that. But he lost it again really fast and I've had no weight problems since.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had Monty done at 18 months because I was on the fence after reading both pro's and con's.

He didn't put on any weight and to be honest he wasn't showing any roaming or marking beforehand. Not sure if related but he has become more nervous and DA since we had him done.

A bit more info can be found on our cockapoo Owners website - especially the link:

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_care_spaying_neutering.html

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dylan was done at 8 months. He was jumping around and lively from the time I picked him up from the vets. The worse thing was the buster collar which he hated, so for the first few days I took it off during the day when he was under constant supervision and only put it on at night or when I had to leave him unsupervised. He never showed any interest in licking or biting the wound, so after about 3-4 days I left it off altogether. It was horrible not being able to walk him properly for 10 days, but apart from that, he sailed through the whole thing. His behaviour was completely unaffected but he did put on a lot of weight. I think the op coincided with the time when his food should have been reduced from puppy to adult quantity and I was a bit slow to cotton on to that. But he lost it again really fast and I've had no weight problems since.

Thanks Helen - this is really useful. Archie is a very lively puppy and I'd hate for him to lose that energy and lust for life :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had Monty done at 18 months because I was on the fence after reading both pro's and con's.

He didn't put on any weight and to be honest he wasn't showing any roaming or marking beforehand. Not sure if related but he has become more nervous and DA since we had him done.

A bit more info can be found on our cockapoo Owners website - especially the link:

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_care_spaying_neutering.html
Archie doesn't show any signs of roaming or marking either. But he has always been a fearless and confident little chap, just a bit boisterous at times ... do you think the op will change of this?

and thanks for the link, I'm off to read this now :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Archie doesn't show any signs of roaming or marking either. But he has always been a fearless and confident little chap, just a bit boisterous at times ... do you think the op will change of this?

and thanks for the link, I'm off to read this now :)
Mine may not be related at all. He was a confident boy whom loved big dogs etc.... he did react one day to two dogs coming out of the house to sniff him etc.... but now he doesn't really like big dogs and is wary of other dogs when he is on a lead and generally isn't that bothered about other dogs.

It might just be coincidental with the timings of the neutering. I know they say neutered dogs give off a confusing scent so intact males can't tell what they are, plus he is black and curly so that doesn't help him either!!

Sure Archie will be fine :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi
we had Ollie done at 16 months ,i was like shirley undecided and read so much about it the pros and cons , we were told to leave him until he had grown and got his muscle mass around 13months , he was boistrous but no more than any puppy .We made the decision because he was marking his personality hasnt changed ,the marking has stopped and his recall is much better as he isnt bothered with other dogs like he was before .the op went well and iam glad we had it done ,.

Take care Lynda Ollies mum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.