I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We have Billy booked in for his neutering on Wednesday, he will be nearly 7 months.
Had further discussions with hubby who is reluctant to have him done so soon. He has just started to **** his leg a couple of times this week (Billy not hubby!), and we are wondering if we should leave him for another month. Also he has the most amazing personality - has anyone experienced any major change there?
Any words of wisdom or support?
H x

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I have no experience of male dogs, but from what I've read, there is a definite case for letting him mature first. I have made that decision with having Izzy spayed. I don't believe that personality changes are the norm either, there is some debate about whether neutering calms a dog down. If you are not having any problems with Billy scenting, then there may not be a pressing need to have his op yet. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
My honest opinion is to speak to your vet ... when to spay or neuter always has a difference of opinion ... and I have read so much on early and late spaying/neutering but really I think it just comes down to what each vet advises and what suits the owner ...

I have lived with a few males dogs in my life (different breeds), some have been neutered young and some neutered late ... no difference in their character at all .. each dog is different and some males do start scent marking which can be rather unpleasant if done in the home ...

Surely a vet would not neuter early if it would cause your dog any problems ...

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
We have it in our breeder's contract that we cannot spay/neuter before 12 months without good reason and we have to get her permission first! She felt very strongly about dogs being fully mature. Have a look at Stan Rawlinson's website (Dog Listener) and read about neutering on there. It is very informative. Ideally the dog should have been cocking his leg for a month first.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
We have it in our breeder's contract that we cannot spay/neuter before 12 months without good reason and we have to get her permission first! She felt very strongly about dogs being fully mature. Have a look at Stan Rawlinson's website (Dog Listener) and read about neutering on there. It is very informative. Ideally the dog should have been cocking his leg for a month first.
That's interesting Jane, thanks

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Afraid I am in the neuter as soon as possible camp. I had my cairn done as soon as the necessary 'equipment' appeared on vets advice. As far as I know the later the neuter the less likely any posetive effects on behaviour which is fine if your dog is ok but possibly buy the time they start to show any unwanted behaviour the operation won't change that. (Also many men you discuss this with are quite often reluctant to have their dogs 'done' must be man thing!)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Afraid I am in the neuter as soon as possible camp. I had my cairn done as soon as the necessary 'equipment' appeared on vets advice. As far as I know the later the neuter the less likely any posetive effects on behaviour which is fine if your dog is ok but possibly buy the time they start to show any unwanted behaviour the operation won't change that. (Also many men you discuss this with are quite often reluctant to have their dogs 'done' must be man thing!)
Yes its a man thing ... :) :) sorry laughing here ....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just out of interest what action would the breeder take if you did decide to break the terms of your 'contract'. I would say once your dog is paid for the breeder has no rights in law and I would suggest any attempt to take civil court action whatever that may be would be cost prohibitive. Maybe a solicitor on the forum who could clarify?
P.S. This may explain why some breeders sell puppies desexed as this is the only surefire way to ensure no breeding!

·
Registered
606 Posts
We had Scamp done just before Xmas when he was 17mths - it was a personal choice as I wanted him to be ' grown - up ' . As far as his behaviour goes it can be up to 3-4 mths before the testosterone gets out of the system, so still waiting to see if there is any change.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Just out of interest what action would the breeder take if you did decide to break the terms of your 'contract'. I would say once your dog is paid for the breeder has no rights in law and I would suggest any attempt to take civil court action whatever that may be would be cost prohibitive. Maybe a solicitor on the forum who could clarify?
P.S. This may explain why some breeders sell puppies desexed as this is the only surefire way to ensure no breeding!
I think you are right a puppy contract is not a legal document ... however I think some breeders like to put in place a type of agreement for the sake of the puppy well being .. lets face it owning a puppy/dog is a big commitement :) ... I am considering doing an agreement with my puppies but nothing heavy just a general agreement :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
A friend of mine has a Cockapoo who is 13 months. He still isnt done although she was tempted to neuter him when he was going through 'adolescence'. She just stuck with the training and he has come through it wonderfully. I am not sure when she will neuter him but he is lovely and she doesn't feel any need to rush. :) I am firmly with the neuter later camp for boys and girls :). Which reminds me I need to visit the vet regarding Daisy's timings for her spay :(

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Hi Sue

I agree, the contract does seem a bit strong! Especially as I had a real hassle getting all the pedigree and health info!

Stan Rawlinson suggests that 10-27 months is the ideal time.

As far as behaviour is concerned, as a dog behaviourist, he said he sees far more behaviour problems from early neutering as he feels it can keep them in 'puppy mode' for the rest of their life, with short attention spans, etc. Also, if a male dog is neutered very young - well before 6 months - they can emit a female smell for the rest of their lives which makes intact males want to hump them! However, this is so controversial and I wouldn't want to sound against anyone who decided that earlier was best for them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dexter is now 6 months and cocking his leg. The vet was happy to do him but I was holding out until 10 months after reading advice from the internet. I am slowly changing my mind and thinking of having him done at 8 months as he is humping my leg a lot and sometimes other dogs and I don't want a dog to turn on him or for this to get a habit for him if I leave him doing it for another four months. If he wasn't doing this I would leave him though.:p

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Dexter is now 6 months and cocking his leg. The vet was happy to do him but I was holding out until 10 months after reading advice from the internet. I am slowly changing my mind and thinking of having him done at 8 months as he is humping my leg a lot and sometimes other dogs and I don't want a dog to turn on him or for this to get a habit for him if I leave him doing it for another four months. If he wasn't doing this I would leave him though.:p
Im sure Buddy went through a stage of humping but apart from my daughters leg (but i think she winds him up to do it!!) he's kinda stopped doing it now and he's 8 mths now,prehaps give it another mth to see if he starts to carms down??

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Yes, this is my only worry if this happens but am wondering if there is a way to distract them from humping - rather like jumping up - or is the instinct just too strong! One of my friends booked her dog in from the first moment he humped and I wondered if this was too hasty and she could have persevered with some form of distraction training.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.