I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I am a new owner of a 5 month old cockapoo- his name is Frank. He is my first dog too! I am already in love; he is very affectionate and seems very smart. We are still having some potty training issues, but I have read just about everything out there on training, so I'm hopeful it will work if I keep at it. I do have a question though....we have a bell around the door that we ring before taking him out. He keeps ringing it to go outside, but he just wants to get my attention and go play!! He does it about every 15 minutes. I live in Indiana so it is about 10 degrees, which makes this not very fun! I don't want to discourage him from ringing it, but should I take him out to play all those times? Thanks to anyone for help...I have felt lost the first few months with him, so it will be nice to consult some fellow cockapoo owners!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, frank sounds lovely. would love to see photos of him.

about the bell, when he rings it and you take him out do you play with him and give him lodse of atention and fun, he thinks the bell is for play time not toilet time.
if so thats why he is ringings it when he wats atention. i would say when he rings it, put his lead on take him out and say nothing to him other than any comand you have for him to get him to pee or poo. if he dosnt do anything within a couple of minuts then go back indoors, dont make a fuss of him unless he dose what you have braught him outside for.

other than that i would say remove the bell, and just take him out reguaraly, how often is he fed. a dog will need to peeabout 15 mins after he is fed, straight after waking up, and if he has had a long drink.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That helps a lot. Right now he is easily distracted by other dogs, people outside, etc. It is like an adventure for him out there! I'm sure that will get better with time. I will take your advice about only staying out for a few minutes though. Thanks!

Right now I feed him twice a day, but lately he has not been eating all of his food. I am finding it difficult to get a schedule down in the morning...I take him out right when I get up, then he wants to play for a while. If I feed him in his crate right away, I can take him out in about 45 minutes before leaving for work, but he will only pee, and he has no time out of his crate until lunch. If I let him play, I end up feeding him in his crate while I'm gone and then I take him out at lunch- Is this bad? Thank you!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
its what ever works for you, i would say if he isnt eating all his food i would say your offering him to much, my girls are only fed once a day in the evening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts