I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I were together for almost a year and split up a month ago. He had two cockapoos (almost four years old) since birth from a previous relationship. I now have one and he has the brother. I'm new to the whole owning a dog on my own, so I have a few questions and concerns.

1.) My dog (Bopper) seems fine now; he's eating and drinking, goes potty outside, plays with toys, sleeps with me like normal, but he was always a bit "gloomy." His brother (Boomer) now lives with my ex and they are thinking of moving back east (where his family is.) They have had one "play date" and it was just a lot of growling and each of them wanting to be in said owner's lap. I'm under the assumption that they don't miss each other, nor do they NEED to see eachother. If my ex and Boomer did in fact go back east, would it cause any permanent damage to either dog if they never saw each other again?

2.) I live alone now and feel a little sorry for Bopper being alone while I'm alone while I'm at work. I was off sick last week and all he did was sleep with me, so again I'm assuming that's all he does anyway lol. But I was considering getting a little cat friend for him, but I've looked online and a lot of the stuff I'm finding is talking about introducing them when they're both young and they'll adapt better to eachother. Bopper is almost four so I'm not sure if that's still considered "young."

If anyone out there with more experience with cockapoos has any advice for me, I would certainly love the feedback.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, sorry to hear about your situation. the boys will be going thrugh an ajustment, but they will be fine on their own. if their is tansion between you and your ex they my be picking up on this when on their play date.

as for getting a kitten, had older cats before getting the dogs, then got a kitten before getting our pup Delta, personaly i much prefered introducing a puppy to our older cats to introducing the kitten then a puppy.

because you are out all day it may be a good idea to provide lots of high ground for the kitten or if posible keep them apart when you are out till you know how far their play will go as you dont want one to get hurt acidently.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm under the assumption that they don't miss each other, nor do they NEED to see eachother. If my ex and Boomer did in fact go back east, would it cause any permanent damage to either dog if they never saw each other again?
It won't cause damage. :) If dogs are super bonded, there can be a few weeks of being generally depressed, but in most cases the dogs don't seem to care after a few days. And from the sounds of it, Bopper seems happy to be alone lol.

I live alone now and feel a little sorry for Bopper being alone while I'm alone while I'm at work.
How does he act with other animals? Did he ever just lay with his brother? Want to play with other dogs?

From your description, it seems like Bopper might prefer to be an only dog.

I've looked online and a lot of the stuff I'm finding is talking about introducing them when they're both young and they'll adapt better to eachother.
If you get a young kitten that has grown up with (and likes!) dogs, then there shouldn't be a problem as long as Bopper won't hurt it. Just in case Bopper doesn't like it, be sure you want a cat for yourself before getting one!

You could also try fostering a kitten from a local shelter, you'd get a trial period to see if he likes cats, but wouldn't be owning the cat in case he didn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts