I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive joined the site to get lots and lots of information about cockapoos.

I have not yet got our additional family member yet as i want to learn all about them. I thinks they are the most adorable dogs in the world.

I have two children who are super excited about the prospect of having a pet and intend to learn about them also.

Any tips on looking for the perfect one would be really helpful as im not sure where to start.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome.

what made you go for the cockapoo

do you know what your after, English (show or working) or American cocker cross Mini or Toy poodle, boy or girl do you have a colour in mind.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hello,

Any tips on looking for the perfect one would be really helpful as im not sure where to start.

Welcome Ally. Everyone has their own ideas as to what is their perfect pup, so you have to do lots of research and decide what is right for you and your family in terms of size, type, colour and temperament and then look for "your" pup. Obviously you will want to find a good, reputable breeder, but again you will have the choice between a large, professional breeder or a small, hobby breeder. You will find lots of threads on here about both of these, as well as breeders who are members of this forum. Yes they are definitely the most adorable dogs on earth :ilmc: Enjoy your research and ask any questions that you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

To be honest i fell in love with the look of this breed. I particulary love the breed which you have. If you could tell me more about them i'd be over moon.

I would prefer a dog, purely as my brother has a westland bitch and i think there would be less rivalry shall we say haha

Thanks

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Ally
Welcome and great to hear you want a cockapoo... the best choice ever in my opinion.

Ok so you know you would like a boy.. good start..

Now pick from the following, I guess:

When thinking about the size of your puppy? breeding mix to choose from Toy or Miniature Poodle, English or American Cocker, Working or Show Cocker and of course what generation you would like.

Then finding a breeder .. try breeders online or pets4home websites, call a few and have a friendly chat, breeders love to chat cockapoos :) You may like a larger sizes professional breeder, a home breeder or a hobby breed.

Actually I could just tell you what I like instead of giving you lists of options... I like a miniature Poodle or toy Poodle cross, with English Show Cocker Spaniel, I like all generations to be honest.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again another little question for you all!

Whilst trawling the internet for information i have come across a few sites that refer to "stubborn behaviour" for there cockapoo. Is this a common trait, i must say i has made me feel a little confused.

I maybe over reacting but im am so looking forward to having the perfect happy pet.

Also does everyone us a crate?
thanks again

·
Registered
369 Posts
We have found Eddie to be stubborn at times, but he was older when we got him so already had bad habits! They are so clever that as long as you stick to the training and don't give up or in to them, they make lovely dogs with brill characters and I think a little bit of stubbornness is just part of their character.

As for the crate we started off with one, but Eddie found his spot in the living room and thats that!!! I would definitely use one with a very young pup.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Allycamoop

There are lots to choose from and loads of options under the name of "Cockapoo" - just take a peek and ask any questions you have on here and you'll get helpful pointers as to the right direction to look from many people.

We post videos on a regular basis - so they maybe useful to watch too (but mostly by people looking for a pup-fix !!!).

There are a cross section of breeders on here too - so you can chat with all.

If you narrow down your search - a useful thing to do is "Google" them and ask open questions on here too x

Also - if you want to know more - use the "search" box to find info on certain things - such as "crates" there are several useful threads on just that subject too.

Happy hunting.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
8,257 Posts

Whilst trawling the internet for information i have come across a few sites that refer to "stubborn behaviour" for there cockapoo. Is this a common trait, i must say i has made me feel a little confused.

I maybe over reacting but im am so looking forward to having the perfect happy pet.

thanks again
Hi there

My three have no stubborn streak or behaviour, they just love you and want to please their owner, I have been lived with an American Cocker Spaniel, Labrador, many Terriers when I was young ... and by far a Cockapoo is the best family pet I have met.

Yes we use a crate for each dog, they like to have a place of their own I think, it works well with family life too, most cockapoos come crate trained as a puppy ... most owners use crates these days .. I would recommend having one even if you chose to leave the door open during the day, crating at night can stop puppy chewing and help puppy feel secure :)

I hope this helps xxx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sarah

When you got your puppy how soon did you start the training and which method did you find the best?
Apologies if i appear ignorant but in this area i probably am, this is my first so any advice will be super helpful :D

Thanks again ally

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I don't think they are stubborn although I only have one dog. From what you'll see on this site from loads of people that love their Cockapoos they bond very well with their people making them easy to live with and train.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks jojo.

I appreciate the advice and i will start looking for a crate. Is there a particular size that i should go for??

Again my ignorance is apparent, i just so want a cockapoo so i want to be prepared.

thanks again and any other advice would be great.

ally x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts

·
Banned
1,872 Posts

thanks again
Hi allycamcoop,

Welcome to the site and to the 'World of Cockapoo's" !

You asked about a 'stubborn behaviour' ....... it is often leveled at Poodles that they can be stubborn and it is because they are highly intelligent and will reason and question commands. If you were to throw a ball for a Poodle it may well look at you quizically as though to enquire, "Why have you thrown your ball over there?........You've got to go and get it back now !" So some of the Cockapoos of course could have a degree of this tendancy. However it is not a big problem and just means that your training has to be fun and structured.

Julia xx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I can't comment on the stubborn issue as I am not picking my little one up for a couple of weeks (so excited!).

There is so much to think about when getting a puppy and and it is great fun researching and planning! As the others have said, have a look at the www.breedersonline.co.uk website and be prepared to travel to the right breeder for you. Also have a look at my recent post about finding a good breeder, I am sure there are other things that could be added, but it will give you a good starting point and get you thinking about what you are looking for.

http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=2193

Do keep us posted and never worry about asking questions, we are a friendly lot and love talking Cockapoo! :)

Sarah

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks Sarah

When you got your puppy how soon did you start the training and which method did you find the best?
Apologies if i appear ignorant but in this area i probably am, this is my first so any advice will be super helpful :D

Thanks again ally
We started training straight away as he was 9 months old when we got him. We have joined a training class and we are using clicker training and treats - Cockapoos are so clever they pick it up really quickly! Although we had read up on clicker training we are really glad we joined a class anyway as it can be tricky to get the hang of it and the classes are great for socialization and getting to know other puppy owners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts