I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have been reading this forum for months and finally decided to join.

We had our first cockapoo 13 years ago and lost him last year ...so last November 6 (2020) we went to pick up our new pup, Dexter. It's been complicated here in Canada and I wanted another cockapoo but honestly didn't want someone to ship to us by air because I don't agree with that...so I looked local. I found someone who had pups for sale online after months of trying to find a 'reputable" breeder...with covid there were SO many games...we were not allowed to visit the breeders etc. - and it became very frustrating. at one point I even put a deposit on a shitzu cross because I wanted a smaller dog...but then remembered how much we loved our cockapoo Sandy and decided I had to have another cockapoo.
So we picked up Dexter and I had questioned the breeder a LOT but then after I got the pup she went into hiding - which unfortunately told me she was probably a puppy farm.
We are a retired couple and I ended up having some health issues just as we got Dexter - so it was more than a challenge! the biting etc., - was SO much more than I remembered with our Sandy.

Sandy was an abused pup we took in at 6 months and he never totally regained his self esteem. always was afraid of everything...but was a sweet dog...he had spent the first 6 months of his life in a glass cage at a pet store! I felt I had rescued him and we gave him a wonderful life but it was such a challenge...he always seemed depressed. A trainer helped him regain much of his confidence. His ashes now are on our mantle...we loved him dearly.

Sandy was a tan American Cocker/Poodle cross....Dexter is an English Cocker/Poodle cross...I had no idea there would be so much difference!
The breeder did NOT specify if Dexter was "working English" or "show English" ...is there some way I can tell? I'm doing his DNA so think that will help track it down...

He's adorable and outgoing...but at 14 months ...still comes up and bites our feet or hands or legs when he wants to play- I have tried EVERYTHING...and he's had tons of training...but when he gets in "crazy play mode" playing ball, doing zoomies etc, he will still jump up and bite my arm to try to get me to play...I always walk away but ...sometimes he bites at the back of my legs etc.--

This is a big challenge, and jumping up too...he will "go to his matt" when told...sit, lie down, stay (is getting better, "leave it" until he looks at me for approval...walks great, learning not to pull, stops when I stop...but is STILL a NUT when it comes to wanting to play....

Do they outgrow this??? Help!! My grandchildren visit and I'm afraid he will really hurt them...

So 2 questions lol-
1. how can I find out if he's working or English (he's full grown at 28 lbs - was supposed to be 20!)
2. biting/nipping at play time...how to stop it?

Thank you!!
Chrissy

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Have you got photos of him and did you get photos of mum? With some pups it is an obvious difference.

With biting make sure he gets no reaction when biting humans other than them immediately leaving the room. Teach a strong leave and give a good outlet for lots of tugging games so he gets to at how he wants to without biting humans

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you got photos of him and did you get photos of mum? With some pups it is an obvious difference.

With biting make sure he gets no reaction when biting humans other than them immediately leaving the room. Teach a strong leave and give a good outlet for lots of tugging games so he gets to at how he wants to without biting humans
Thanks here are pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is quite a lot of difference in the shape of the head and ears usually - certainly here in the UK where we see lots of both of them and cockapoos bred from them.
Thanks again … I will have to research this .., and doing his DNA should help
His head seems wider and flatter than our American cocker/poodle mix was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts