I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi,welcome, my Rosie is 7 months and I still feed her three times a day, but I guess it depends on what food you have and what she was used to before.

The food should give you guidelines as to how much to feed her. If you don't know how often she was fed before, then I think I'd do three times, to begin with and see how you go. Others on here might know better.

What's her name (Mandie at a guess?!) and how did you get her? Any pictures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thank you for the info. Yes her name is Mandie my girls named her! My cousin wasn't able to train her so she let me adopt her:)

They were feeding her Pedigree but from my experience with another dog I had Pedigree has a lot of fillers and doesn't have the best nutritional value. And they were feeding her once a day. I work full time and I'm not able to feed her three times a day should I feed her twice a day or just once in the morning before I leave for work in order to minimize accidents? Also they were feeding her wet food only (no dry food) so I bought her a better quality food (dry) and mixed a little of the Pedigree wet food. Not sure if that is good idea or if I should just stick to the dry only?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, where did you adopt her from, what were the owners doing with her before you got her. most would still be on 3 meals.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think once a day is probably far too much in one go for a little tummy like hers. Two would be much better. Where will she be in the day while you are out? Rosie is out of her cage a lot, so I don't have to worry about when she needs the toilet. I guess the timing of food is going to be important in order to try to help her not to have accidents. Others on here will be better able to advise on that, I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to purchase a kiddie gate and she'll spend most of her time in the laundryroom, since she's still a puppy I don't want her to chew up my furniture.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hia I let my pups eat when they wish always have a bowl of food down and let them graze. Done this way for yrs but everyone is diffrent :)X
Yes, a lot of people do that, I forgot that option! I guess that might take a bit of getting used to for her, if she's used to only one meal at the moment though. And do you do that only with dry food, Fallon, or with wet too?

I'm definitely no expert, so I can't advise you on the type of food to give. I think it is what fits in best with your lifestyle and your opinion on the various arguments that exist abotu what is best (there's a lot of info on this site about what is the best food - I will leave it up to you to make your mind up!)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm going to purchase a kiddie gate and she'll spend most of her time in the laundryroom, since she's still a puppy I don't want her to chew up my furniture.
So Fallon's way of doing it might work well for you. If you had her in a crate, it might not have been the case.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I feed Dexter wet food 3 times a day. The dry food can be left out all day for them to graze- some dogs prefer this. Dexter has the run of the house when we go out (but never for longer than 4 hours) he has never chewed any furniture.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hia I let my pups eat when they wish always have a bowl of food down and let them graze. Done this way for yrs but everyone is diffrent :)X
I used to do this with my cat and she was never over weight ,the vet said she just ate what she needed

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like putting her on dry food and leaving it down for her to graze all day could be a good idea for you. If you have to leave her for a lot of hours every day is there a possibility of getting someone in to walk her during that time? Or sending her to doggie day care or someone else for some days? She is very young to be left alone all day and you may experience some behaviour problems caused by this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts