I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to this site and just wanted to say that we're picking up our new 8 week old golden cockapoo pup on Saturday and cant wait. Have bought crate, vet bed, puppy pads, toys galore - you name it we have it. Any advice on toilet training would be much appreciated. - Thanks:)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, do you have a name yet.

sounds like you are all set.

as for the toilet training, as soon a puppy wakes up from a sleep take him/her out too pee/poo, about 15 minutes aftere eating take out for pee/poo. same for after a drink.

also use a command like 'peepee', 'be clean', 'get busy' etc just what ever you want, just say it when pup does its buissness so he.she will asosiat it with the action, it means you can get them to pee on command(can make life easy if your in a hurry)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for that advice. Do i still try and train him to do on the puppy pads also? By the way, his name is Monty x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we only used the puppy pads incase of accidents. its bets if you try and get him so he knows he pees out side rather than in the house. its more to do with the vaccination side of things if you have lots of foxes or unvaccinated dogs using the aria you want him to pee the the vet yould sugest the puppy pads.

it just means your training him twice, once to use the pads then againe to teach him to pee outside. a bit more hastle than its worth, but everyone has there own methods.
if you have a secure garden then its safe to teach him there.

love the name. looking forward the photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stacey,
Potty training is a breeze with cocka-poos as they are so smart already, hurry up is a good one say it over and over ....and then lots of kisses, high pitch voices and lots of hugs and good boy or girl......they catch on pretty fast.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol youv never met my inca, she was 6 months before we got her to pee outside. and she is not three on only in the last couple of months has she cryed to get out.

Gypsy was our first and so easy, inca second so hard, and Echo want to bad.

pop up and intro debbie and tell us about your self and dillon, oh and ofcoars photos are a must.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your advice. Someone said to me that i shouldnt leave any water in the crate at night otherwise he'll never learn to hold his wee in. Is this correct? Should i take the water out just before i go up to bed?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i know someone with pointers who said that as she had big problems with her eldist.

it just depends, we dont always leave watter the the crate.

for the first couple of weeks you will need to take him out in the middle of the night to pee as he wont be able to hold it all night yet.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol it is that, but it passes. they are all different. he might be a bit stressed the first couple of nights, as you can exspect considering her is away from mum and litter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you recommend that i DO NOT go down stairs if i hear him crying. I have friends who have labradoodles and they both went down in the night and now the dog will only sleep on their bed.

As far as his business is concerned, i will make half the crate up with a bed and half with pad and hope that he will pee or poop on that in the night.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
no i wouldnt do that, if you do that you will teach him that its ok to poo and pee in the crate, and you dont want that. you will need to take puppy out after about 4 hours. mu mum sad that with our girls she kept them at her bed side in a small colapsuble travel crate, that way she knew if they woke up. she said that she took our girls out alteat twice a night, and you gradualy lengthon the time he can last over night.

once you know he can hold his toilet all night then i would say ignore him and dont go down. make sure you get him to toilet before he goes to bed and you should be fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, im in a real dilemma and am panicking. Everyone tells me to make the crate up with half bed and half puppy training mat. The vet just told me not to put a pad in there at all. Does this mean that the dog is going to foul in his crate through the night on the bedding? Surely it would be more comfortable for the dog to do its business on the paper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Puppy training

Hi Stacey

We tried our puppy in a crate and she hated it. As she soiled the crate the first night she wouldn't go in again and has been perefectly happy in her own bed ever since which is kept downstairs and not up. She howled the first night we had her but we just ignored and she only did that for a couple of nights. I made sure she had a hot water bottle and lots of cuddly toys to snuggle up to.

I only put puppy pads down if i am not going to be there and through the night as i have to admit I don't get up so if she needs to go she uses the pads which is great. They are incredibly bright and just want to please. i use the term busy and she is 5 months old now and pees on command.

All the hard work will be worth it as they are gorgeous dogs. I have had dogs all my life but never one as cuddly as this!

Love

Sue

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
the thing is if you let him soil in the crate he will do it all the time, its best to take him out when he needs and work up the time he can hold it. the crate should bee seen as its bed, and not as a toilet.

some dogs dont take to the crate, but most will if you persist, just decide what you want to do and stick with it, dont chop and change to much or it will make training more confusing for the dog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all is going so well and Monty is doing all his business outside in the garden. Either by me keep taking him or out or occasionally him crying/barking by the back door. However this morning he went by the front door and tried to do a poo. I quickly grabbed him and put him in the garden. I find it strange as he never goes by the front door as there is no door leading to it and it was only because he saw me walking there that he followed. I did however just catch him doing a wee there too. I gave him a stern "NO" and took him straight in the garden. Any reason why he would foul in that same place twice and no where else in the house?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
could be the sent, or the fact he has got the idea that he goes out side but doesnt alway give you the worning in time for him to hold it till he gets outside.

glad he is doing well, you need to post photos of him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
having a problem downloading photos - will endeavour to do it. in the meantime, he is very frisky when playing which is lovely but he is beginning to nip and bite and doesnt seem to know when to stop. hes not really interested in his Kong toys that people have recommended. When we say no, it makes no difference. any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
when he gets over exited, say no and stop the game, get up and walk off. or say no and give him a tap on the side not hard that you hurd him but not so light he doesnt regester it.

also start teaching him to leave it, hold a treat in you fingers but dont let him get it, tell him to leave or drop or what ever word yoy want to use, as soon as he stops trying to get the treat give it to him and tell him he is good, repeat this till he dose it first time for like 5 times in a row, then more on to a toy and do the same thing.

as for his kong what are you putting in it, you can put anything in it from chicken, cheese, peanutbutter, dry food, tind wet food etc, something that he realy likes. you can also freeze it so it makes it harder for him to get the contents, and takes longer to eate it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts