I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dogs don't like going potty in there living area, so if the spot by the door is normally ignored, he'd pick it for when he has to go. You need to clean it with a pet floor cleaner, normal floor cleaners can actually smell like pee (the ammonia) to a dog. I'd also gate it of for a while, he's to young to really understand not to go there so the best way is just to block him.

For his nipping a high pitched yelp (like his siblings would of done when bit) can also help get the idea across that he hurt you in his language. Also try using up his energy with a rough game, like chase or tugawar to take the edge off as much as you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thank you for all your advice - i will certainly take the comments on board. It seems that he is getting more boisterous as the week goes on. I know hes only 9 weeks old but today he seems to have dug up most of my garden, eaten most of the stones and mud and has actually fouled on my stairs carpet and weed twice in the same spot. From doing all his business outside and being quite calm, it seems that he has become possessed!!!!!! what am i doing wrong??

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, you did buy a puppy lol. You haven't been around them enough if you thought they weren't evil. ;)

Don't let him in the garden withount you, and when you do go out take him on leash at all times.

If he starts to dig, tell him 'no dig' and move of fast. Once he understands to leave the dig site when you say no dig, start taking him out withount a leash.

Eating stones can cause a obstruction, and you definitely don't want that. Start teaching him 'leave it' and until he know it well, give him a slight pop and remove it from his mouth fast.

Clean the carpet with a pet cleaner, and don't take him out without a leash until he understands the place to pee.

When a pup comes home everything is novel and scary, now he's comfertable with you so he's fine being a terror lol. Don't worry, he'll grow out of it. I think. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thanks for that info. i took him out today twice in the garden on the leash and obviously he thought it a game and just wanted to chew it. how do i teach him to walk with it without him trying to chew it the whole time. ;)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
if its a nylon lead, then hold the lead with both hands leaving a good bit od space inbetween, hold it out to him so he wants to chew it, when he does pull it shrply to the side, it creats a slight burning sensation on his tounge. after a couple of times or maybe even the first he wont want to put in in his mouth. it wont hurt him its just like if he was to pull you and the lead runs thrugh your hands.

if he makes any atempt to do it on the walk the pul sharply to the side or down this will give him a correction.

its better this than him chewing the lead so much it snaps and he runs into trafic.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I second Kendal, when 'Lo was young she gave up fast when the lead got popped into her mouth for chewing it. You could also get him a thin chain lead, he wouldn't want to chew that. I've heard soaking a lead in bitter apple or vinegar is supposed to work as well.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i wouldnt recoment the chane lead they cut you hands to sheds if your do becomes a puller.

the problem with bitter apple(it is fab and a very good chew deterent) but it may mean the dog doesnt want the lead on because it doesnt want to go near the smell.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The pup is way to young to be a puller, and even if he were there is a cloth handle, so no hurt hands. :) Also, a puller needs classes or a training collar/halti not a cloth leash and patience while the human is being pulled around.

A dog has no need to sniff/play/chew/or pay any atenion at all to a leash, mine ignore it at all times. It's smell really shouldn't be a issue, the dog should be taught that leash=going outside, so no matter the smell they'd still love it. But I do perfer popping the leash lightly into there mouths, in the past any leash soaking was ignored by 'Lo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Puppies will be puppies ;)

I got Jack when he was about 10 weeks old and he immediately slept in his crate with no problems. The first two nights he did wake up to do his business but since then, he sleeps fine. I put the crate in my bedroom, so there wasn't any separation anxiety on his part. No food, water or pee pee pads, just him and a few toys and his bed. He loves it, and during the day he will go in there when he needs to 'just get away', so to speak.

When he came home, the weather was really nasty so we had to start with pee pee pads, but now that spring is here I've taken them up. He knows to go outdoors, but will on occasion have an accident in the kitchen... but we are we're working on it! :whatever:

Jack loves to go out, and does fairly well on the leash. BUT he is a puppy and tries to pick up rocks, sticks etc.... I tell him "yuck" and then take whatever he picked up out of his mouth. Personally, I wouldn't leave him unattended in a yard, even if it's fenced in because he's still a baby.

He's learned to sit, laydown and even to wait for his treats if we put them on the floor!

If your puppy is nipping/biting...tell him NO BITE and then put something that he is allowed to chew in his mouth. It will take time, because they are teething. I've also put baby carrots in the freezer, he loves to chew on them too!

·
Registered
104 Posts
How did you get Jack to lay down? Dexter picked up sit in like 5 minutes but he doesn't get lay down. I tried having him sit and pulling the treat but it doesn't make him la down. I tried pushing him into a laying position and he looks at me like I am nuts.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
get him realy into the treat, like cheese or something realy tasty that he gets realy exsited about. keep it between your thumb and fingers so he can lick it but not get it. when he is sitting and getting realy into it pullit down realy slowly so that his nose fallows it. if you do it to quickly he wont falow it. its all about luring him down then lots of praze when he does it. once he has done it twice he will get the idea and do it quicker.

he will get there he is still young and learning.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts