I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems like you are doing well! Honestly, they take time to settle in! He will be like a different dog in a few weeks when he gained confidence! Monty ate little and weed little the first few days, but boy did he make up for it😂 when I changed his food gradually after using half the bag the breeders gave me and using the pther half to mix in with the new food, he started loving to eat his food! I used to never see an empty bowl and now he eats it in minutes!
An advice I would give is: use a command word when he goes outside. I use: wee. I say it when he wees, reward with a good value treat and praise. That way it is easier to ‘explain’ to them where and when it is okay to go like on walks later. My boy just shredded all puppy pets, so I can’t talk about that much. You can give him tiny pieces of cooked chicken or carrots. Watch his stool and see if his tummy gets upset. If it does: give less or other food.
Puppy biting is difficult. Never let a puppy alone with a child without supervision and always have a toy close by. Fortunately the phase does not last forever.
He is absolutely gorgeous by the way!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm honestly over whelmed with it all. I'm hoping the sleeping thing continues to work and we don't go back a step with that.
My daughter's 15 so I was nervous about leaving them together for half an hour why I went to collect my youngest (9) but she seemed ok for me to leave.
We've discussed what to do if he has a mouthing moment. I am won't be leaving him with my 9yo.

So glad it's a phase that doesn't last because that's the only one that makes me nervous.
Ah okay! Your kids are not babies! That will make your life so much easier. Honestly, the biting phase is not too bad. Depending on the dog lots of tricks work. I always just put a toy in Monty’s mouth. He is very gentle and doesn’t bite hard, but whenever he does I put a toy in his mouth. I say ouch when he bites me and when he has his bitey few seconds, I get up and leave the room, only for a second, but after he stops. He has never really hurt me with his teeth. His claws however are very sharp and he scratched me a lot, when he is excited

·
Registered
96 Posts
Leash training takes time and is a separate training from potty training. Don’t leah him yet, if it is distracting and slowly get him used to it! Before that, good to teach him sit, come and look at me. It makes leash training a lot easier!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts