I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have just brought home our 9 week old cockapoo.
His name is Stanley and he's a sweetheart... Well as far as puppies go.

He sleeps in his crate in my bedroom at night, going a full 7 hours with only a couple of whines to see if we're still there.

We've had him three days and I work from home so I have plenty time to get this right, as I'm sure this page is always flooded with this question I'll get straight to it.... Potty training.

I know it's been three days but I wanted some good habits started working on straight away.
When I take him from his crate around 6.45am I take him straight outside, he never goes but I figured it would be a good habit. He gets distracted by all the mini pebbles.on the floor which I'm forever trying to sweep away, after half an hour I bring him in and he pees immediately on his puppy pads which are right by the door.

He has his first feed after that with the door left open incase he wants to go back out.

He never goes back to the pad throughout the morning, I take him outside after his second feed, which he doesn't eat all of just half his reccomended amount, he still doesn't go to the toilet. He plays and tries chewing on everything he can get his mouth on. I bring him in, he pees on the pad.

He doesn't go again.

I give him his final bowl around 5.30, noting his bowl of water is there all day he goes back to it every now again for a refresh.
I take him outside again he plays sniffs the area where I've left some pads and again when we come back on after half an hour to an hour and he goes on the pad.

I take him out around 10.30/11.00pm before we are ready to go to bed and before he goes into his crate.

He's never had an accident in the house, he always goes to the pads by the back door. So Im lucky in that respect.

We have had a couple of throw ups, one due to him eating way to fast and another this morning which was more like white foam before he had even eaten anything.

Am I putting too much stress on him? Is this new home nerves?

Am I doing the right thing, should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

I'm not allowed to give him any special treats yet, so occasionally I might give him a piece of his dried, royal canin, food bit I've been mainly resorting to belly rubs.

To summarise, he doesn't really eat much, doesn't wee an awful lot, good temprement so far. View attachment 131480
View attachment 131479

Any helpful advice would be fantastic.
Can't help but feel overwhelmed with it all.
He's just a tiny baby. I would choose between outside bathroom or wee pad. Not both. Start the way you want to end. I would take him to the same exact spot every time for pee and poo, and say those words. "Go peepee! Go poopoo!" And when he goes, give him a treat on the spot. And plenty of praise.. Take him other places for fun time. He will come along. They are super smart. He'll have accidents. Inside when he has free time, gate him into a place where you can realistically watch him and provide plenty of chew toys. He'll be teething soon.
But the same spot for pee and poo is important. For now. Again, just a tiny baby, so accidents are expected. Just try to get into the same routine with where he goes to bathroom. You'll do great. It'll take some time. Also purchase an enzyme cleaner spray to eliminate pet odors, specifically for that, as dogs will typically revisit the same place they pee and poo. Yay for outside, but eliminate those odors inside. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can I also say to be VERY careful with off leash training unless you're fenced. When the Littles get a bit older, mine is 5 months now, they get feisty and can take off quickly. Mine slipped out of her leash one day, and is surprisingly fast, dashing here and there. I almost had a heart attack thinking what would happen if she headed for the street. Who would see her in a car? What if she went for the woods behind the house? She's chipped but her safety is my main concern. A big one. Thankfully I was able to get her but I purchased a harness the following day and won't let her off leash outside again. The consequences would be devastating if she got away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can I also say to be VERY careful with off leash training unless you're fenced. When the Littles get a bit older, mine is 5 months now, they get feisty and can take off quickly. Mine slipped out of her leash one day, and is surprisingly fast, dashing here and there. I almost had a heart attack thinking what would happen if she headed for the street. Who would see her in a car? What if she went for the woods behind the house? She's chipped but her safety is my main concern. A big one. Thankfully I was able to get her but I purchased a harness the following day and won't let her off leash outside again. The consequences would be devastating if she got away.
Aww thank you for the concern, Stanley's already captured my heart I'd not take my eye off him.
His outside area is just for potty training and I've caged him off so he can't get out. It's a nice size so he can explore around but he can't get out of it.
I also don't leave him unsupervised outside, I'm always nearby if not in the area itself.
With regards to training in having trouble with him not waiting to get the treat out of my hand
I've got a dog trainer coming to help me with it so hopefully soon I'm going to have him learning commands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 10 week pup also wasn’t so interested in food but found two things that was really effective. One - got her a puppy puzzles to put her food in. I got a similar one to this from pets at home - Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound Dog Tornado Interactive Treat Puzzle Dog Toy https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07239T...abc_VB21MSQ09EYBCZKCBW62?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. She seemed to enjoy looking for the food and then feels rewarded when she finds them. Two - hand feed her and do some training with her at the same time. I usually grab a few of her normal kibbles and teach to sit or her name etc. And then be really excited/offer lots of praise when she gets it right. I’ve taught her sit, down roll over and paw in just a couple of weeks. I usually alternate between these two methods and she now eats double the amount than when I used to give to her in a bowl. Good luck!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts