I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably more a case of has anybody else had the same...but assuming you have, any help would be really appreciated.

We got an F2 Cockapoo female a couple of months ago. She's 4 months old (as of yesterday) and generally pretty good. She's feeding well, likes to play (a lot!), crate training is going well.. etc etc but she's started to play up in a couple of areas so I could do with a bit of advice.

1) After being in the crate overnight, sometimes when we go out also. When we come back, we will let her out and take her straight to the back garden for the toilet and try not to make too much of a fuss until she's done. The problem is that she is so focused on jumping up at us for attention, she won't go to the toilet and can then pee involuntarily. She will also run back in the house and just sit under the table.. she's not empty as you approach her and she will then do a wee out of some kind of excitement.... is this normal? Ive had spaniels before and never really had this.

2) Linked to the above, she seems to get over excited when she sees people and will sometimes wee a little bit.. anything I can do to help this?

3) She's generally a good walker but this morning decided it was her time to shine and ran off while we let her run around for a bit. Dogs can do that but the issue is recall, sometimes she comes back and stops.. other times she'll run at you then essentially dodge you. I know its a game and she probably thinks its fun but trying to grab her while on the street was pretty stressful. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
When you come back from somewhere take her out but say hello to her and let her calm and then she can probabaly focus on her toilet needs. Submissive or excited pee's are something that some pups do - just let them greet people outside or on an easy to clean surface and pay no real attention to it and she will grow out of it.

Only let pups off lead in safe places, and restart recall teaching her than recall means coming right to you and you are not playing chase to catch her, if necessary use a long line whilst she learns. I do not play games chasing my pups for this reason, play the other way round and let them chase you to catch a toy and play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks on the peeing outside, that's what we do, anyone new in the house has to take her out back to get used to them :). The problem is more that until she calms, she's literally peeing herself while trying to get your attention.... I got a very wet leg this morning. But as you said, Im sure she will grow out of it.

As for the walking, her recall has been spot on up until this morning.. its like she decided she just didn't want to play nice. We do the same thing though, she's only been off the lead on an empty space with no other dogs (usually the park) and generally walk around the part and let her kinda circle you if that makes sense?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I would be leaning over to fuss her so she is not jumping up while she is peeing to try to minimise the wet leg.

Ah sorry - maybe misunderstood the recall thing - it was you saying trying to grab her while on the street that made me think you were taking more chances with her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I just get wet feet (Can't win with this little bugger) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but yeah, I see what you're saying, Im sure we will gether there eventually.

On the recall bit, we've been super careful just in case she bolted. To date, this is the first time she had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts