I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
We have a 9 week old cockapoo who has been with us now for one week. All started well, as soon as we got home on the first evening, after a very long drive, Lottie sniffed around all the people in the house then went straight in to her crate and fell asleep. The night was a lot of crying and going out side every couple of hours but all in all seemed like a good start. Now for some reason over the course of the week Lottie will no longer go in the crate during the day, will only sleep at night if I sleep in front of the crate, wakes at 5.20 every morning, goes outside to toilet then refuses to go back in the crate and barks for food. The lack of sleep and worry that she will never be able to be left as she won鈥檛 go in the crate makes it harder to deal with all the other things biting, zoomies, barking and eating everything in the garden including stones, weeds, ants and trying to get bees and slugs 馃檮. Sorry this has turned into an essay. It feels like my dream of having a dog has turned into a nightmare because I am failing in my job to make her feel safe and train her well, trying so hard not to say no and just do positive reinforcement but when you are so tired it is difficult. I have to go back to work on Monday then it will fall on my retired parents to look after her during the day and I am worried it will be to much for everyone. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you Stacey

Registered
It is really normal to feel totally overwhelmed so relax, your new baby needs you sleeping next to crate for now and that is fine and she will sleep for longer as she gets older and more relaxed with the whole routine.

Try not to micromanage her in the garden, zoomies are fine, picking up everything is what pups do so just leave her to it apart from actual dangers like slugs and bees, have a toy to distract her onto constantly when she is mouthing and look at toys to occupy her - even something simple like an empty toilet roll tube with a few bits of kibble scrunched inside will really occupy her brain.

One thing i recommend is this

Registered
Having a pup is definitely a shock to the system, but I agree with 2ndhandgal that things will get better. Puppy training classes might help with training, your confidence and also meeting others in the same boat. Our Digby was a proper crocapoo as a pup, but he鈥檚 now a chilled, well mannered dog. He still has crazy moments but that鈥檚 how we like him. Hang in there and hopefully you鈥檒l soon look back and only remember the good bits

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the advice I will definitely try that although in this heat at the moment it is difficult to get her to concentrate on training, she is sleeping on a ice pack most of the time. I know it will get better, just a shock to the system. It hasn鈥檛 helped that I could not find A vet anywhere that would take on new clients and so have had to register with one about 10miles away and they can鈥檛 fit her in for her second jab and checkup for another 2 weeks yet. So I am worried about everything she picks up in the garden because of slugs and snails, because I can鈥檛 get any stronghold to make sure she is protected. Anyway thanks again for the advice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi dig we are booked in for puppy training classes but not until 10th august due to vaccine situation. I am now concerned I am using all her food allowance for positive reinforcement so she isn鈥檛 get proper meal times or if she does have proper meals she is eating to much over the course of the day. OMG so much to think and worry about you can tell I鈥檝e never done this before.

Registered
Weigh out the next food portion when she is eating and put in a pot that you can dip into for training, she then gets what is left as her meal - although they grow so fast I am sure she would be fine anyway.

Can we have a photo?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She loves those slippers even if they are on his feet馃槄. I started doing a little positive interrupter training years which seemed to go well although at one point in the evening she did look at me like I was spoiling all her fun. She has also learned to go to the back door and bark to go out, great brilliant, except she now does it all the time because she wants to be outside and at the moment it is just to hot most of the day. So difficult to know sometimes if she really needs to go to the loo or just wants to dig holes and eat everything 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do I get Lottie out the routine she has created for herself, and on to the routine I want her to be on. At the moment her routine is when I wake up I鈥檓 up, I want to play in the garden for at least half an hour until I start getting aggressive and biting, I want food, I鈥檓 going to bite you till you bleed then bite anything else I can find, even if it is only 5am or earlier like today 3.30 am. I have tried taking her out to toilet without talking to her putting her straight back in her crate. I鈥檝e tried sshing her back to sleep, leaving her to cry she gets to worked up. This morning I gave her a kong with frozen yogurt in which kept her quite for five minutes then crying, I ended up sat on the floor holding the kong so she could lick whilst sat on my lap馃檮. She is in my bedroom has been from day one. She won鈥檛 use the crate during the day at all. I just want her to go straight back in when it is still sleeping time. Any advice

Registered
Unfortunately when they are up they are up and ready to get on with their day and it is still really early days. The light mornings and outside birds waking will also be contributing to her wanting up and out. If it is too early then take her out for a toilet break and then put back in crate and leave your hand next to the side so she can start to settle herself.

They do need lots of sleep at this age so should be a burst of activity followed by a snooze and then repeat. Doing small bits of training really helps tire them out, think brain work rather than physical activity to tire her.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the big question for me is do I leave her in her crate to cry herself back to sleep, which all the books tell you not to do because it will make her scared of the crate. And if I do leave her to cry how long do I wait? She gets so worked up she rattles the crate door, naws and scratches at the bars. She is never quiet so if I then let her out she will think making noise is the way out every time. I have tried laying with my hand on the door but she bites it. Do you think putting it on the side of the crate rather then the door would be better. Sorry for all the questions and I do love her but I am so tired I鈥檓 at my whits end so something has to change.

Registered
I would probably put her back in the crate with something to do - kongs are fabulous but quite hard to master so the fact that she was content when you held it possibly suggests it was a bit tricky so maybe something like a licky mat might work better?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I thought I had turned a corner with Lottie and I was feeling much happier and calmer yesterday after some good training and play sessions. Then bedtime came, now she has always been good going to bed I have had to stay in front of the crate and ssh her for some time but she would always settle down for a few hours before going out to toilet then I would have trouble getting her to go back in her crate. Well not last night, she would not settle at all, we went to bed as normal just after 10pm she was quite be half past then quarter to she was crying, we went outside she went to toilet then would not go back in the crate she just would not settle at all. I tried a lickimat which she gave up on after 2 minutes. In the end I moved us out of my bedroom and I stayed on the sofa in the lounge, Lottie took herself off to what appears to be her new favourite place, our utility room right by the back door on top of our garden shoes and wellies (see picture attached). This room is at the opposite end of the house to my room, she happily sleeps in there during the day away from all of us and now appears to want to sleep there at night. We don鈥檛 feel secure enough to let her just sleep in there where she can roam around unsupervised at night, as much as we have tried there are still things she may try and chew and gaps she will try to get into that she shouldn鈥檛. We have put her crate in the utility room today and are thinking we will see if she will sleep in there tonight. Has anybody had this happen with such a young puppy (just about to turn 10 weeks) that they change to room they want to sleep in themselves? Any advice if she will not sleep in the crate in the new room? Are we making a mistake moving her even if she seems to want it? Sorry for the long post, I seem to have a puppy that likes to do things differently to any other 馃榾 struggling to know what to do for the best.

Attachments

Registered
Awwwww - is that a cooler spot? Seems like she is comfortable there as her nap spot so I would probably try to make that safe for her with crate or with a pen protecting the bits she could potentially hurt herself on - love the creative use of the wellies (?) blocking the side gaps of the gate!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it probably is a cooler spot most of the time. Well we tried her in there with her crate for two night now. The first night she woke at 11.30 went outside and would not go back in the crate, ended up asleep on the sofa, my parents stayed up all night with her in shifts as I was going back to work and they wanted me to have a proper nights sleep. Then last night she woke at 12.30 but mum managed to ssh her back to sleep with out taking her out of the crate she then sleep till 3.30 but then she had the zoomies, she has never had them in the night before, she was running round and round and under to sofa getting stuck and bang herself on things. If feels like it is getting worse instead of better and if she doesn鈥檛 improve soon there maybe a real chance that she will have to go back to the breeder. We are all so worn out and if feels like she is training us not is training her and I don鈥檛 know how to change it, we have tried everything we can馃様

Registered
OK - quite a lot of change to the night routine going on there in two weeks and so things need to settle down for you all. Will she ever going in the crate voluntarily? When it was moved did she choose to go in the crate or sleep outside it?

If she did not use the crate at all it sounds like that might be causing some of the issues and you would be better using a pen in that area. The first night I a not quite sure what you mean by "would not go back in the crate" - pups learn all the time that things they do either work or don't work - if she refused to go in and instead she got to sleep on the sofa I would say she learned something pretty valuable there - you want her to learn to love to go in the crate rather than the opposite - or ditch the idea and use a pen instead.

For night toileting sounds like she may be better on a short lead, outside for a quick break, very calm and then back into crate or pen - if necessary with person next to it until she falls asleep. Thinking back to my pup at a similar age for night breaks she was carried downstairs, had a quick toilet break and then carried back upstairs and back into crate.

It sounds a little like at the moment the more fuss she makes the more she gains from it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She will only go in the crate voluntarily to have a drink then straight back out. Last night she went into the crate at bedtime with me laying in front sshing her for about 20 - 30 minutes. She slept till 2.30ish then I took her out to toilet ( we have been taking her on a lead for some time to stop her eating things), she came straight back in I put her in the crate, again laying in front to ssh her. This took about 45 minutes with her whining, crying, clawing and biting the bars. But she did go off eventually I got back to the sofa about 3.25 and she slept till 5am. This was a much better night. Tonight we will hope it goes the same or better but I will sleep in my bed rather than in the lounge and who ever hears her cry first will get up to her and hope they can get her to go back to sleep.馃thanks for all your help and advice

Registered
OK - sounds like progress, I would feed her in the crate too and also put treats and toys in the crate and if you can fasten a chew or kong in there so she needs to stay in it to eat it so much the better as you want her to associate the crate with all good things

1 - 19 of 19 Posts