I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am brand new to owning a cockapoo. Had done tons of research and thought I was READY -- have had him home only 5 days and success with crate training, potty issues going pretty good. My big concern is this 8 week old is a "wild man" -- haven't figured many techniques to calm him down. I don't want to be frustrated. Outside he only wants to eat dirt, mulch, anything. Can hardly divert his attention to keep moving.

Does it get much easier?? I fear he's always going to be wild! Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, he should calm down but it will probably take some time and patents as well as a litte hard work.

i would work on the leave command, start off with a toy get him to play tug tell him to leave or what ever command you want to use. and show him a treat, he should let go and go for the treat. once he is leaving the toy when you tell him, i would go out and bring in some dirst or what ever he is trying to eat into the house(or garden if you dont want a mess) and keep him on on a lead, if he goses near it tell him to leave and pull him away then lots of prase, give him the treat only ig he leaves it on command with out the lead tug. he should learn that when you say leave (or whatever) that he has to ignore the obgect.

but do keep in mind that he is very young, and he is still settling in.

would love to see photos of Bogart? where did you get his name.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the encouragement. After being on the computer looking for answers yesterday, I think we had a good day. He is young and really so good. Doesn't whine in his crate. Even though his first two weeks with us, I am at home with him and not working, I still can only "play" so long or watch him constantly before I am tired and must crate him again.
My husband and I never able to have children and I've wanted a dog for SO long -- and I'm enjoying him. Guess I'm a bit neurotic wanting him to be perfect. Ha! I'll try and figure out how to put pictures on here. Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
how onld is he now.

glad he is getting on ok in his crate but just watch how long you crate him for. you dont want im in his crate too long. have you concidered on of the puppy pens, that way you can leave him to entertane himself and you dont need to wory about him eating anything her shouldnt.

you can use photobucket.com to add photos or you can add them to the gallery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome! Dexter was pretty wild and now at 4 1/2 months he only has wild spurts. It helps to exercise them with lots of ball fetching since your guy is too young for walks. As they get older walking them is great and letting them play with another dog is even better. When he is with my sisters female lab they play chase until they fall asleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts