I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been a member of this site for a few months now but this is my first post! We will be collecting our puppy on Thursday. We've decided on Leo as his name.He is absolutely adorable and we can't wait to get him home! The journey back will be around 2 hours in the car. Has anyone got any tips on how we make it as stress free as possible for him? How do we manage the wee/poo situation if it arises. I've loved reading all your posts and have learnt loads, thank you!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hello Jane. Welcome and congratulations! I look forward to lots of photos of Leo. :) What colour and cross is he? Working/Show/American? Toy/Mini?

I had a three hour journey to make with both of my boys and what different experiences! Rufus (now 2 yrs old) barked for the whole journey home .....apart from when he was pooping! Basil (now 5 months) was a dream. :)

When collecting Rufus I was on my own and had him in a puppy crate in the back of our VW minibus. The windows were too high for him to see out and I guess he was lonely and terrified! I had expected him to fall asleep ..... but he didn't! Character wise he is a confident chap and quite assertive.

I did things very differently when I picked up Basil (surprise surprise!). The whole family were there for the occasion and I cuddled Basil in the back most of the time (with hubby driving!). He also had the company of my other two dogs. Character wise Basil is very middle of the road - confident but respectfully cautious of new things ........and extremely cheaky!

Cockapoos crave company so my advice would be to make the journey with someone else if you are able so that Leo can have plenty of cuddles. Puppy training pads are useful for desperate toilet moments. :)

Good luck and we will want a full report by the end of the week! Lol :D:D:D

Karen xx

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi I will be collecting Hattie on Friday. Plan at the moment is to use crate on split back seat with friend sat next to crate so she can see her. However later in the day Hattie will have to be a brave girl and go in the crate in the car again whilst I go and bring my horse in for the night. She will have to get used to this option as I have to go out and I don't want to leave her at home on her own until she has matured a bit. Have done this with all my other dogs and they adapt quite quickly. This will be my first puppy when I'm not working (good neighbour helped then and is keen to again) can't wait for Friday!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hello & welcome to you & little Leo :D
I bet you're so excited for thursday!

We were the same as Karen, an hour & a half journey back & both dogs totally different! Izzie cried a little & was sick once (but did sleep), but Poppy was absolutely fine slept the whole way & wasn't sick once, she is also fine in the car to the vets.

I agree though, it's always better if they have someone to sit with :) Both of ours did, although all dogs are different in cars, some love it, some hate it.

I would like to know the same as Karen as well, what cocker x poodle cross?
What colour is he? x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi I will be collecting Hattie on Friday. Plan at the moment is to use crate on split back seat with friend sat next to crate so she can see her. However later in the day Hattie will have to be a brave girl and go in the crate in the car again whilst I go and bring my horse in for the night. She will have to get used to this option as I have to go out and I don't want to leave her at home on her own too early. Have done this with all my other dogs and they adapt quite quickly. This will be my first puppy when I'm not working (good neighbour helped then and is keen to again) can't wait for Friday!
How exciting Sue! Hattie may well be a dream in her crate travelling with you. If not at first, then she will get there. The sooner we get our pups used to 'how it's going to be' the better. Rufus was a travel crate barker for a few weeks but then got used to it eventually, especially as he got treats in there and usually there was a walk at the end of it!

Karen xx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all your tips. I'm planning to collect him with my husband so I'll sit in the back seat with him. We have a crate for the car but thought it could be a bit stressful for his journey home but may be would should take it incase. I'll let you know how we get on and will try and post some photos of him once we're home and settled in. Leo's mum is orange and white show cocker spaniel and dad is a red minature poodle. Leo is mainly red with with a few white bits, very cute! Hope all goes well for you sue on Friday, Jane x

·
Registered
201 Posts
Leo, what a great name! Oh the time leading toward picking up a puppy is sooo special! Get enough sleep in, while you can, lol.
We have Cider who is six months old now. We had a 5 hour drive back home from Liverpool and we had him in his crate in the boot. I wanted to make everything right from the beginning. But to be honest, if I would decide again, I would let him on my lap or next to me to give him company. And train him to feel comfortable in his crate, for all the shorter trips to follow. Cider was great and only did whine a little bit, so we were lucky. And now he is really great in the car, so lucky as well. But he knows now, each trip equals a lovely walk ;)
Looking forward to the photos soon, good luck

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
We had a little dog basket that sits on the back seat, the door opens to the side facing the side windows, not facing front.

We cuddled Millie for most the journey and let her rest in the basket when need to, but left the door open.

Spent the first week, just sitting with her, cuddling her and basically being around. Think its paid dividends.

:D:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
i knew it! we are hopfully going to get there about 11ish but we have a good 4 hr drive so a monumentally long day getting up at silly oclock. my mum and i are doing the pick up. his name is Rocket dog although i quiet like the boy bit. what time are you going? this thread has been most helpful about journeys. im so excited i feel a bit sick. lush that you are on here and we can see how the boys grow.

Lucy x

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi Jane,

Leo sounds gorgeous, can't wait to see photos! We had a 2hr journey home & I had Luna on my lap at the front. She just sat there & slept most of the way. I had spare towels & newspaper for incase she needed to toilet but it wasn't necessary.

Such an exciting time! X

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i knew it! we are hopfully going to get there about 11ish but we have a good 4 hr drive so a monumentally long day getting up at silly oclock. my mum and i are doing the pick up. his name is Rocket dog although i quiet like the boy bit. what time are you going? this thread has been most helpful about journeys. im so excited i feel a bit sick. lush that you are on here and we can see how the boys grow.

Lucy x
I thought 2 hours was a long drive! Might see you on Thursday, we're planning to arrive around 11:00-12:00. Good luck with the journey if I dont see you and look forward to sharing puppy chat with you! Janex

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.