I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

new puppy new owner

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  lady amanda 
#1 ·
Hi getting our puppy mon all very excited!I keep reading posts as lots of great advice but decided to join as i read a post from another expectant mum of a puppy from our puppy's litter from Sylml also called Poppy!Our puppy is apricot.I think it was Michelle and we had travelled from similar area on same weekend.

#3 ·
Hi Helen - ooooh, really excited now that I'll get to chat with a litter mates mum! When we visited they did say that a few of the puppies were going to be called Poppy! My kids were really taken with the apricot ones, but there were only blacks left when we chose and our Poppy is a real sweetie.

Are you from Cheshire area too? We are not collecting our girl until 8 May due to holidays, so it will be great to hear how you are getting on.

#4 ·
Hi Helen
like you new mum. we got our little gem last week her name is missie. we got her from Anzil in liverpool.
not had a momment an hard work. but really great. Like you this site has been invaluable for help and infomation.
Just makin the garden puppy proof. Its been 14 years since had a puppy and you forget how much mischief they get up to. But we are smitten with her. jane:)

#5 ·
hey welcome, poppy is a very popular name because is is so cute and sutes many dogs.

all my girls are for sylml, Echo and Delta are half sisters to your poppy, Gypsy and Inca are anties to them as zac (the dad of your pup) is thier half brothef from a poodle litter.

cant wait for photos.

#6 ·
Thanks for all replies 4 sleeps left and making the most of them.The kids settled on poppy after long shortlist of names.Your puppy looks gorgeous michelle how do you put pic on tried last night but it wouldnt accept it as too many pixels I'm not technically gifted.Glad theres somewhere to get advice as this is our first family dog always had cats.

#9 ·
Keep in touch Helen and Michelle as my little apricot girl, Evee is also from the same litter, good luck for Monday Helen let us know how you get on the first night, I am kind of dreading it ! Was easy with our last dog just let it cry till it settle but now I am in a terraced house and think it will keep the neighbours up all night. Think a bottle of wine and apology before hand might help ?

#11 ·
will let you know all good intentions about first night but if she cries for long time it will be hard good luck for wed we havent seen the pups for few weeks they will have grown!

View attachment 317
remember if she does cry for a long time, take her out for a pee but dont make a fus of her, its out for the buissness then back in. a kong filled with some peanut butter or cream cheese should help her settle back down again.

#13 ·
Hi Helen! Your puppy is gorgeous too! I'm loving all of the apricot pups with white patches!! Hope it all goes well.

I got my little one on Sunday. We've had no crying at night at all - but she doesn't like it if I shut her away during the daytime (obviously much more fun things to do!) - but I can't even do something simple like the washing if she's out (steals all of the socks, tries to scramble into the washing machine etc. She hurls herself against the gate and screams!! It's pretty heartbreaking!!!

So, so exciting!!

#15 ·
Sorry not posted before been bit busy!poppy is fab or adorable as my daughter keeps saying no prob on journey home curled up and went sleep so much for worrying. housetraining going v well helped greatly by weather only couple accidents, nights not as great crying on and off in kitchen but def less last night early morns not so bad when sun shining .not long till you get your pup michelle enjoy hols sylvia gave us very thorough pack goodies and advice lucky we found her puppy taking up all time if not feeding toileting checking latest thing she is trying chew or eat we are snapping pics as she is gorgeous so glad to found fab breed she is catching on to everything really quick and not phased by anything up to now!lets hope it continues having a ball (several actually and she likes retrieving)tired but happy:)

#17 ·
Really pleased she is settling in so well. We are going back for a visit on Monday. It's going to be heartbreaking leaving her when she is ready to come home, but know she will be better there than getting use to us then having to leave her again for a week. Quick questions - have you got a crate, and if so what size? Also have you got a harness or lead? So many options - I've spent hours on the net already! Good luck with the training - keep us posted!

#18 ·
We had a crate given to us from my mum i cant remember size exactly think it was 30 something inches which was too big if you want to restrict her to sleep in it and not toilet in it.Her soft bed fitted in one half but everyone on here says you can block off one end with divider or box.We didnt get that far as she literally screamed when we locked her in and it upset kids but i dont think our heart was in it as it didnt fit well in any room either.Poppy had much better night last night cried when put her to bed in kitchen for short time but then went quiet and never heard peep i woke at 5am and started worrying as not heard her!just like having newborn and woke her up peeping wont do that again!Sylvia gives you a collar and starter lead which we didnt expect also teddy and blankie with scent on puppy pads treats food and container .

#20 ·
Thanks for the info on what Sylvia gives you - I was going to get a collar and lead set. I have just ordered a crate with a divider, so should be ok on size. Looking forward to my first night - think I will probably cave if she cries too much, or end up sleeping in with her! Keep posting the hints and tips as they crop up.

#22 ·
I dont think you will have any probs if the poppies are similar michelle she slept 12-6am last night no accidents loves being out in garden confident and picking things up fast only thing she has been play biting children (9 and 11)not done with adults and pulling on clothes the kids now squeak loudly at her like theyre pups and she usually lets go if not we step in and say no removing her from playing dont know if anyone has any tips will post on puppy place.she found old buried bulb garlic from last years veg crop dug it up from way down and i was promptly told by daughter they are toxic to dogs!cant take eyes off for min:)

#23 ·
When Flo used to nip me I'd say 'ouch' then look at and nurse my hand - Flo used to stop and put her paws over her eyes. Also as well as ouch or yelping you must stop play - walk away or turn your back for a minute or so before resuming play just like a litter mate would. Then they learn that if they nip too hard the fun stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.