I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just been told that a new puppy who has only had his first vaccine is not allowed on the grass at home.

We have an enclosed garden, which although out in the countryside, am fairly sure has not been visited by foxes.

However we do have snails and slugs.

I also need to treat the patio area that will be used for toilet training with weed killer. How safe is this for a puppy.

Many thanks

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Check the details on the weed killer and follow instructions to the letter. If it is not safe to use where pets or children go find one that is.

Your pup will be fine in your own garden. Slugs and snails happen - some puppies eat them :eek::eek::eek: your vet will advise if lung worm is actually a problem in the area (not all slugs and snails carry it allthough drugs companies would love us to believe this is the case).
Your vet will make sure your pup has the right protection. Go in and have a chat with the receptionist, vet nurse and vet if posssible - they will appreciate your concern. Better a new pet owner who cares than one who does not.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I think in your garden, if sheltered from wild animals, you would be fine. as for the weed killer, be careful.
Canada has been very good about banning really awful substances for the greass....iorn is a natural killer for weeds, so look for one of those.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
A young unvaccinated puppy always needs care, an enclose safe outside garden should be fine, but you are right to think about any treatments used on patios and grass etc, check the packaging and give the patio a good jet wash too. Also puppies investigate when young and therefore pick up or mouth things in the garden which sometimes can give them upset tummies, just keep an eye on what your puppy is eating and mouthing, but do try to enjoy the outside space with her, as its so much fun and really helps with the toilet training too. x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts