I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

New puppy owner..All the tips you can give! :)

7K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  wilfiboy 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone Im Riona,
I came across the site and everyone seems so friendly and helpful, which is great!
Im picking up my new puppy 'Bailey' On the 28th which will be my actual birthday what a GREAT birthday present, I cannot wait! And im just looking for all the tips and advice I can get really, Im going to set up a crate in a spare room, which is situated next to my room...we have removed all electricals etc (puppy ready) and place a puppy pad outside his crate and leave the crate door open so if he needs the toilet he can go.
In the day when I collect him Im going to do the whole place him on the mat when I see him sniffing around etc! I will set my alarm every 2/3 hours and check on him throughout the night to check hes ok! Do you think this ok? Also wheres a good place to get a crate online :)

Thankyou for any advice you can give me!

#2 ·
hey welcome. what colour is bailey.

i would say just close the crate door. if he crys in the middle of the night take him out for a pee then put him back to bed and close the door.

ebay is a good place for crates. or try gumtree or other online sights.

#3 ·
I think ive attatched a picture (If i have done it correctly). Thankyou for that advice, Ive seen alot of stuff that shutting the door on them can give them social problems :confused: Im confused as everywhere says different! I may place the crate in my room and shut the door on the crate then I can hear him! And when he crys I can take him to the puppy pads. Again thankyou so much for your reply!

Attachments

#4 ·
We bought our new crate from ebay - was by far the cheapest.

We made the decision not to get up to Lolly in the night. We left her from 12am - 6am in her crate (she was just 8 weeks old when we brought her home). I don't think she ever went to the toilet in it. We had more problem with her knocking over her water bowl in there and soaking everything! We have now got a water bowl/holder that clips to the side of the crate.
She can now go from 11-6.30 without a problem. Up until this morning she usually does a wee the minute she gets outside but this morning she didn't go for a couple of minutes, preferring to have a fuss instead! :D

I believe the whole idea towards crate training is to encourage them to hold their toileting as they don't like to go near where they are. If you have the door open then he will just go outside the crate. I think the same is true if the crate is too big and they can go to the toilet in one corner and retreat to the other.

I'm new to this too :p Lolly is just 12 weeks.

#5 ·
the way i see it is if your not going to shut the door you might as well just get a normal dog bed.

a crate is like a cot for a baby, it just keeps them confind in a small er more secure space.

he is lovely, bet you cant wait to get him, have you had dogs before.

#7 ·
The crate has been a blessing for us (after the first 6 nights when she finally got used to it and slept all night that is) as I would be worrying the whole time what she is getting up to without me there! She could find something to chew that she shouldn't (no matter how much you think you've puppy proofed the place they find something) or make lots of puddles or worse!

#8 ·
Oh thankyou so much for the advice I now have a huge smile on my face as I feel a little more relieved! Your new to it too, Oh good fantastic Ill have to update you with how it all goes, glad to hear yours is going fantastic! :)
Yes we have a golden retriever and a springer spaniel both are 13years old...These were from shelters! Cannot wait to him home for lots of fuss! Thankyou I will look on ebay now, I dont supose you have an idea of what size is ideal, Again very sorry for the questions I just want it all to perfect :)

#9 ·
We have a 30" crate (as advised by our breeder) which is working well. It's so difficult to know exactly how big each cockapoo is going to get (you see from the photos her how diferent they can all be!) We might have to buy a bigger one if Lolly grows to be a big girl but 30" has definately worked for the toilet thing.

#11 ·
Their names are willy and dilly..They must sound so strange but Im so used to it now! haha! They are lovely dogs willy is very energetic still even at his age is very eager to please whereas dilly is very laidback! I will post pictures as soon as I find some :)

#16 ·
We're getting her from Wendy in Clacton - Yes very exciting! I hope my three under 7's dont scare her too much!! We dog-sat a nine month cockapoo last week, and he didnt really appreciate being chased round the room - sat on etc! He ended up going to sleep on the window sill - out of reach!!
We did have a beagle who we lost many a time in verulanium park! So will be very nervous letting her off there for the first time!

#18 ·
I attempted to crate train my beagle, Toby, on the first night I put him in it and left him (taking him to toilet every 3hrs) and he cried all night. But the next day I couldnt get him anywhere near it! He was terrified of it and even as he got older stuck to the floor if ever he heard anything that sounded like the crate! :S
So going to let minnie get used to it for a couple of days before locking her in it!! Going to keep her in the kitchen at night untill shes in her crate to avoid any upset children with missing toys!!

Deffinately NOT going to use newspaper or training pads. We did with Toby and when he was older would still occasionally wee by the back door - I guess it teaches them its ok to go there!? Any plans on what you are doing?
All the pups were lovely - I had pick of all the girls and it was sooo hard choosing. Minnie had a different coat to all the other pups - but the kids fell in love!! So will be interesting to see how different hey turn out!! Did you see the pups mum when you visited?

#21 ·
Did you see the pups mum when you visited?
No! did you? She said that she didnt want the mum near the pups as she wanted them to stop feeding, and start being on their own a bit. Well I really dont know the internets confusing me so much everyone says different things! I put a crate in my kitchen with bed toys etc all inside and place newspaper outside the crate incase he needs the toilet throughout the night (or set my alarm every few hours and go check on him), as my kitchen is quite a while away from my bedroom so I dont know if I would hear him to get up! Im thinking about sleeping on the sofa for the first night! Im based near the chelmsford area! My friends a dog behavorist and she said during the day I get it to start taking it outside straight away so it knows where to go to the toilet from the start

#19 ·
Hallo Riona, I also get my pup on 28th! Like you I am unsure about the crate- whether to leave it open or closed, upstairs or downstairs, and I haven't even bought one yet either! I do know I won't be getting up in the night though- I am one of those insomniacs who would never get back to sleep again! I will probably play it by ear and find out what his personality is then decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.