I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to see a litter of cockapoo's tomorrow night (UK) and i was wondering if anyone on here could give some advice on what i should be looking out for with both the puppies and the breeders. What documentation should i be checking for ? i have been told from the breeder that they own the mother and father dogs and that both the poodle and the spaniel are Kennell Club registered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

I will post some pics up of the puppies when i get a spare minute tonight :) they are mega cute !!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
eyes tests, if the pups will be coming with 6 weeks insurance.

cant wait to see the photos. where are you going to look, do you know what colour you thinking of and if you want a boy or girl.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Figure out what temperment you want/need. High energy, as in active and requiring more exercise, training, also good if you plan on taking him everywhere with you or have a big yard. Low energy, as in couch potato, a little shy. Or medium energy which is perfectly inbetween.

The way to test this is (if the puppes are big enough) is to place them all on chairs or elevated places at the same time and the first one to jump off is usually the highest energy one and the last one to jump off is the lowest and the ones inbetween are the medium. Also look for which ones are pushiest for your attention and which ones are shy. Remember that the ones that jump right on your lap and nudge their nose into your hand have not "choosen you", they are like that with everyone and in the long run will require more exercise and be more stubborn.

If they are not big enough, look to see which ones are fighting for milk the most and the mother has to control and which ones are behind and the mother has to nudge foward.

Remember that their temperments may change as they get older but this is the best way to tell, and good luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we are going tonight to see them, the breeder said that this is the first litter from the mother (who they own and is with the puppies) they sent me a picture of the father (mini poodle in brown) I guess temperment wise i want something in between as we are introducing the puppy to a 3 cat household so dont want something that is wanting to constantly chase them, me and the wife have been researching methods people have used for cat introductions etc... and we will be purchasing a crate for the puppy. The main thing my wife is worried about is how the puppy will look when it grows into an adult, we have seen a few adults around on the web that look very similar to a poodle ?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
the look can be different from dog to dog, my two eldist are curlyer than my youngest, and yesterday i met one the same age as my youngest but more curly than my eldist. it also depend how you cut them. the american cockers cross tend to have a straiter coat than the English cocker cross.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

Just been to see the litter and they're gorgeous. Now, the advert said both parents were KC registered but they didn't have the documents. We've emailed them tonight to ask if the mum and dad have had their eye tests etc, just awaiting a reply...

We just wondered if anyone has bought a puppy without these tests being done and also, if we could ask for the parents to be tested before we buy??

Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
The tests aren't that much money, so you could maybe talk them into doing them. Myself, I'd keep hunting until I found a breeder that did do them if they don't care.

What I've seen is that the larger pups in the litter have thicker muzzles and just over all cockerier looks. The smaller pups have thin muzzles, and more of a lean poodley body. So if body wise you want the one in the middle, go by birth and present weights. Normally this works pretty well lol.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The tests aren't that much money, so you could maybe talk them into doing them. Myself, I'd keep hunting until I found a breeder that did do them if they don't care.

What I've seen is that the larger pups in the litter have thicker muzzles and just over all cockerier looks. The smaller pups have thin muzzles, and more of a lean poodley body. So if body wise you want the one in the middle, take birth and present weights into consideration. Normally this works pretty well lol. My 'Lo was in the middle weight wise when born (we decided to blame this on being third born, she was oddly fat lol) but soon fell to smallest -yet very healthy- as the litter grew and has stayed the lowest pup in weight. She is in figure mostly poodle, yet has a very flat coat. Odd combination lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts