I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are considering getting a Cockapoo and wondered if anybody had any comments on our situation.....

I have my own business as a freelance florist along with my business partner who is allergic to dogs - we thought if we were to get a dog a cockapoo would be a good choice - is that correct?

Also, we have two cats which are both very relaxed and gentle so I am a little nervous about introducing a puppy into the mix but would hope that eventually they can live side by side.

I have been looking into Cockapoos for a little while now and do know somebody who has recently bought a puppy. The puppy is a real handful and has been difficult to train - am I right in thinking that if the spaniel is a working spaniel they can be more of a live wire than a domestic spaniel?

Really want to make sure that we've thought everything through carefully before we take on a puppy......we live in Kent but happy to travel far to make sure if we decide to go ahead that we've chosen one from a reputable breeder - again any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi we are considering getting a Cockapoo and wondered if anybody had any comments on our situation.....

welcome to the forum .. you will love it on here .. and great to hear you are considering a cockapoo :)

I have my own business as a freelance florist along with my business partner who is allergic to dogs - we thought if we were to get a dog a cockapoo would be a good choice - is that correct?

I would recommend letting your business partner spend some time around a cockapoo, as it depends what he/she is allergic too ..

Also, we have two cats which are both very relaxed and gentle so I am a little nervous about introducing a puppy into the mix but would hope that eventually they can live side by side.

Many on here have cockapoo and cats living side by side and will give you great advice :)

I have been looking into Cockapoos for a little while now and do know somebody who has recently bought a puppy. The puppy is a real handful and has been difficult to train - am I right in thinking that if the spaniel is a working spaniel they can be more of a live wire than a domestic spaniel?

Generally working cockers can be more lively than the show cocker mixes, but this is not always the way, as all dogs are different .. plus the poodle can be a lively little character :)

Really want to make sure that we've thought everything through carefully before we take on a puppy......we live in Kent but happy to travel far to make sure if we decide to go ahead that we've chosen one from a reputable breeder - again any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

You will get loads of good advice on here .. Good luck in your search :) .. you will love owning a cockapoo, they are great pets xxx

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm allergic to dogs in general. Delighted to say that I am not allergic to my lovely cockapoo Millie. I even do all the grooming and still no problems.

Can't comment regarding cats as I'm allergic to them too. Having had cats for 18 years we are now cat free :( Finally after a 5 year break from pets, we got Millie and haven't looked back since.

I specifically went for a show cocker/poodle cockapoo and temperament was a must. Millie is the most chilled puppy imaginable. Keen to learn. Patient when I'm working. I work from home as a beauty therapist and Millie has to wait for me outside the room She loves to greet clients and waits to greet them again when they leave the beauty room.

:)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

Many thanks

Hello and welcome! :D

JoJo has already mentioned that your partner should spend time with a Cockapoo to test his reaction to them. I am more allergic to cats than dogs but have kept both! Despite lots of cuddling and grooming Daisy doesn't effect me but this is not always the case with Cockapoos and allergies. We have had unfortunate members on here who have really suffered with allergic reactions so it is essential to test out properly.

It is generally thought that working cockers are more 'wired' than show cockers but this is not always the case...on the whole I would say that most Cockapoos seem to be chilled out at home and energetic when out walking. Inspite of this, having young children I decided to opt for the Show Cocker combination to be on the safe side. Daisy is a complete couch potato at home but when we go out she is full of beans. :)

If you would like information on finding a responsible breeder and the health issues that can effect Cockapoos please have a read of the Cockapoo Owners Club website. http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/cockapoo_finding_a_breeder.html

Puppies can be hard work at times. My parents have a lab cross puppy and she has been really hard work for them. They thought being mainly lab (which they are used to) she would be easy but she has turned out to be quite a monkey! Whereas a friend of mine has a Cockapoo of the same age who has been a dream....My advice would be find a good breeder that breeds for temprament as well as health and they will help you choose the right puppy.

Good luck with your search. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have an allergy to animal hair and my boys have asthma. Both boys are fine with Coco but I have found that when his coat gets long then I have a reaction so I will start to keep him short. I didn't have any reaction at first it wasn't until he turned one.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Sophia,

Welcome to the forum :welcome:!

My name is Turi and I am choosing my first Cockapoo puppy tomorrow - eeeeeeek!!! My partner and I are active and I'm a rather hyper personality myself so we've decided to go for a Cockapoo from working lines.

Where are you based? It might help to meet some Cockapoos - there are plenty of meets organised on here and there may be one near you. Check out this section of the forum: http://ilovemycockapoo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Best of luck with your search and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
606 Posts
We have 2 cockapoo's and a cat who was here first- she accepted them quite happily - in fact she is definitely the boss !
She will go up to them if and when she feels like it, sometimes she chooses to ignore them !
They did chase her when they were little but she would hiss and swat them and jump out of reach.
She is 7 now, and quite happy sharing her home with cockapoo's. :D
Good luck with your decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.