I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have never posted on a forum before, and discovered this one by accident. How lovely to find other cockapoo owners - since getting my cockapoo I have found that I have received lots of negative comments about his breed from so called friends.

Anyway, my cockapoo is called Freddy, he is 12 weeks old tomorrow and is a lovely golden/white colour with apricot ears. He has a very sweet brown nose and his eyes are a sort of green colour. He is my first dog, so I am loving every minute of my very steep learning curve !!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, Freddy sounds lovely, cant wait for photos off him.

unfortunetly the negativity is something you have to learn to ignore. just know thay he is your wee fur ball and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome. =)

Dog haters -mild or otherwise- are impossible to avoid. Any breed can have something negative about it, and if there isn't people will make one up! Avoiding dump people (and maybe growing a thicker skin) goes with the dog owning territory lol. What have they said about him?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Welcome. =)

Dog haters -mild or otherwise- are impossible to avoid. Any breed can have something negative about it, and if there isn't people will make one up! Avoiding dump people (and maybe growing a thicker skin) goes with the dog owning territory lol. What have they said about him?
i dont think its dog haters she is talking about, i find a problem to be the breed snobs. and how they shouldnt called a breed as they are a mogrel. iv not had it to my face(bar one time at crufts from the poodle people at descover dogs), but i get it on alot of forums. they say you can get a scruffy mut at the pound, or your going to endup with a deformed dog, or that you are giving the dog twice the health problams it would have as a pedigree. iv been told im killing a dog that is in a pound looking for a home.

its not very nice but i just ignore them now, i used to fight back and defend my choice of dog but their is no point. but most people are nice.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh, you could be right Kendal. I've never liked calling 'Lo a 'cockapoo' myself, it sounds funny to me. I normally say poodle cocker cross, or poodle mutt. I call her mutt or mongrel (warped into mon-drell) as a nick name lol. So for me, I think anyone that would comment doesn't because I rarely call her a pure breed. So my first thought was just not liking dogs or things about them. The thing that gets me mean looks (rarely, most love it!) about 'Lo is her blue fur lol.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
on forums I do call the cockapoo, but in when i meet people i think it depends on the person the what i respond with, sometimes i say they are cocker poodle crosses, other times a poodle cross, sometimes a cockapoo. i think it depends on how i feel the person will react.

some people call them poodle but for me that means a springer spaniel poodle cross i know the Australians call the poodles.

i think im just so used to our lot being called cockapoo. lol when i sine cards to friends (only the ones who have dogs) i normally singe it from kendal and the cockapoos.

i just found out today that my brothers girlfriend has gotten into a couple of fights on a pedigree forum (don't know why she is it as she as to crosses don't know exactly what they are but one is like a jack russl x chi) as her mum has a 5 month old cockapoo pup. she needs to learn to just let things be.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm glad you joined us! :)

I haven't come across anyone speak negatively about cockapoos. I've only heard good things. :D (I'm not saying they're a perfect breed, just never heard anyone say anything.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always tell people Roxi is a Cockapoo, because she is. They've been deliberately bred since the 50s, my mother had Cockapoos back in the 80s - they are every bit a legitimate breed to me - both in mind and heart.

Do not let the nay-sayers weaken your affection or regard for your pooch... All breeds were "mutts" at some point in time, I highly doubt God or Nature or whatever anyone beleives in put breeds on this earth and then made sure they knew only how to make babies with the same breed. pfft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts