I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Fully fledged Cockapoo newbie here! Have had dogs all my life but they have all been family pets whilst I was growing up so I wasn't heavily involved in the decision making and training etc.

Our little girl is coming home in 4 weeks 4 days and 17hours... not that I'm counting every hour or anything... we had first pick of the litter, and were intending on getting a big robust boy, but the runt of the litter and the only girl stole our heart and that was that!

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me? It can be as general as you like! Maybe there was something you wish you did when your pup came home? Or maybe something you wish you didn't do? It would be amazing if you had some advice on adapting your resident cat to your new fur-baby! Also... does your pup sleep downstairs or up?

I've done heaps of research on what she'll need and I'm confident we have everything we need for her... apart from a name! It's more just general advice on aparting her to her new home and new family. I'm conscious that she'll have been taken away from her mama and siblings and I don't want her to be sad!

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Welcome.:) There are some simple tricks for acclimatizing cats to pup. Move their food, water and litter box now to a pup free area, we elevated the food and moved the litter box to the furnace room with a small cat door in the door. Keep the cats elevated whenever pup is around, they'll feel safe and get used to the concept. Let their first sniff be through a baby gate when they are ready. Never let pup chase kitty, not even once, a house line will help you achieve this. With time they'll be best buddies. One of our cats cleans Rufus's eye gunk for him and two others will curl up on the same lap as him.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Newbie here too, so I can't say I have much advice, except it's a lot of work, but definitely worth it! Enjoy every minute with your new little girl!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I have already tried to acclimatise the kitty... I have moved her food onto the worktop in the utility room... really not my favourite choice of where to feed her as I'm worried it will blur the lines between the utility side and the kitchen sides, which is a strict no-go area for kitty paws, but she has been fine so far. It's a good job I did move them earlier as she got the hump and kept standing in her old dinner spot meowing her head off... this lasted for about a month!

Luckily we knew of the litter even before mating so it's been very planned. I've bought her bowls and crate etc, and have been setting them up ready for her arrival and kitty does look at them... so I feel like she knows what's coming but my OH says I'm overestimating her intelligence. I also took a little blanket with me to rub on the puppy so kitty gets used to her scent.

I have attached two pictures... one taken exactly 3 weeks old, she was the size of my hand... the other is a pic of her first ever meal! SHe's an F1b but she looks very spaniely compared to her brothers and has a very straight coat whereas they already have crinkles... so I think she has the 'Grandad' gene i.e. in human terms she's a throw back. I was always quite particular on their looks when browsing online, and swore I wanted one that 'looked like a cockapoo' but there she was, sitting there minding her own business and that was that.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
We got Teddie just over a week ago and our cat George has been good with the change, but its slowly slowly. Every day we would have a little more progress.
For the first couple days he would just sit on the wall outside and only come in at night thru the window and dash straight up to my boys bed room and stay there till morning. Before puppy he would knock the back door to come in and sit on the sofa with us.
I suppose the only advice i can give is dont rush it, if kittys wants to hang back and observe, let her. Dont force her in.
Having a crate helped i think cos George the cat could see Teddie was in there and then gave him time to explore without getting scared.
They might never be best friends but for a week im happy with the progress!
Also my vet said not to let them get too close without you being very close too as the puppys blinking reflec isnt fully developed untill 4 months so if the kitty didbtake a swipe theres a strong chance puppy wont be able to close her eyes in time.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My only advice is: Don't underestimate the power of sleep.
Baby poos need HUGE amounts of sleep. The more the better. When pups are tired they get up to all sorts of naughtiness.

I've heard 18 hrs a day is not out of the question. Plus when they are aleep, you get you life back.

Reactions: Cat 53

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
My tip is find a really good positive reward based puppy class. You can start to do your homework on classes now and even go and sit in on a class to make sure all is good.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Totally agree with the need for sleep that a puppy has. Be prepared to have a teeny shadow follow you EVERYWHERE and to cry EVERYTIME you go from view. Also this need to be near you is a 24 hour thing. So think now, about how you will manage this at night. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've had our puppy Billy for 3 weeks now and I wasn't prepared for how much I would love him! So be prepared for a bundle of fluff to take up all your thoughts, time and energy and your love! Soppy I know but that's what he's done to me!! Enjoy x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts