I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Newbie from Scotland

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  embee 
#1 ·
HI All,

Found this great site last night and have spent a few happy hours looking at all the lovely piccies of your adorable dogs and doing some research.

We are currently owned by a beautiful German Shorthaired Pointer girl and used to have a Bearded Collie. Our GSP is now 7 and we have recently started thinking of a getting a puppy and have admired Cockapoo's and Labradoodles for some time now.

So I am currently trying to do as much research as possible to enable us to make the right decision, leaning towards a Cockapoo at the moment as Im not as keen on having 2 large dogs ( although we live in the country and have the space )

Im also leaning towards a boy and may train him as a gundog. So does anyone have a Cockapoo from Scotland that they use as a gundog ? Long call I know ! but would be interested if there are any out there ? or even just a good breeder in Scotland.:)

Also are there any sites where you can compare Cockapoos and Labradoodles, and pictures of dogs with American Cockers as mum as compared to working cockers as mum etc etc ?

Thanks for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
hey welcom im from scotland, where about are you from. i know of a number or labradoodlas doing gundog training and a couple of cockapoos.
this is what Echo looked like when she was 5 months old to see what the differen is as i know she is curlier than my lot were at her age. Echo is an English cockepoo Delta is an American

Echo and Delta at 8weeks old

Echo about 5 months old and Delta 5 months

and this is from another forum on the left is an English cockapoo on the right is an american

what is your pointers name, would love to see photos of her.

#3 ·
Hi there karen, still spend hours on here lol.You sound to live in doggy heaven. We knew about labradoodles before we'd heard of cockapoos and went with the cockapoo as you say cos they are a smaller breed and a softer coat. Alot of labradoodles can have a wirier coat and even though cockapoos coats can vary they are still soft. Marley breed labradoodles and cockapoo s but not sure if they specifically compare them and the australian labradoodle site has both, as pups they look pretty similar. Again a few breeders breed both american and english but cant think that they compare would maybe see which you prefer from photos on here. Not sure about the gun dog thing but I do know that many end up agility training not sure if this helps.. but they are an intelligent dog so im sure would be great... and loyal and loving and friendly ( and biased ) x

#4 ·
Hi Karen. As regards size, I know someone with a labradoodle that is HUGE - much bigger than the parents, so be aware of the variation in sizes. Also I have met cockapoos that are much bigger than mine, (having a miniature poodle parent) although I think that Dylan is quite large for a toy poodle cross, being 14 inches at the shoulder.

#5 ·
Most Labradoodles are Lab x Standard Poodle and they come up really big. Some are crossing Labs with miniature poodles so they'll be smaller but there will be quite a size range within this cross as well. My Cockapoo is English working x miniature and she is 14 inches fully grown.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info on different sizes. I think I will stick with the Cockapoo so just need to decide on wether I fancy English or American Cocker mix and the colour ! They are all so pretty and such variety of colour.
Going by the photos I cant see a great difference in the English or American. How do the colours generally go ie. are they born dark and get lighter coloured coats or not ?

Does anyone know of any breeders in Scotland or the North of England ? I live about 30 miles from Aberdeen ( middle of nowhere ! )

#10 ·
some chockolats get lighter as they get older, most blacks get gray or wheite hairs in their coats, some of the gold pups get lighter as they get older too.

my youngest girls is a red sable and white party so but the time se is 1 year old she will just be a red and white as her blck sable bit will go after her first clip.

i know of a breeder in aberdeen but not sure when her next litter is as she is going to be doing F1s for the first time and F2 american then in a couple of years she will be doing F3 or 4 but i dont think she will have any chocci's for a couple of year as she has just retiered her chockie girls and only just got an choccie american cocker pup so she wont be redy to breed till shes almost 2 or after, sorry.

have you tried epupz or breeders online?

#11 ·
I'm an apricot/gold fanatic and have spent too many hours comparing puppy/adult coat colour. Most apricots and golds seem to lighten a bit while the very dark reds seem to hold their colour better (like the red colour on Kendal's Delta)

This is Flo as a baby (bottom right)...

and this is her colour now...

#12 ·
I have a red American, he's only about 4 months now so I don't know how he will change as he gets older and gets his adult coat but for now he has slightly lightened only on his eyebrows and "mustache" (hairs that stick out kind of like whiskers on his cheeks), they are now getting more golden.

#16 ·
well the poodle is a french water spanial, it was classed as a gun dog as it was a water retrever. so i see no reason why they cant. i know some who have passed their training and one who was baught spesificlay to work to the gun which is why she was alowed to have her docked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.