I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

My name is Victoria (Turi for short). I was signed up to another Cockapoo forum but after stumbling across ilovemycockapoo, found it a bit more user-friendly and decided to 'move'. I recognise a few of you from the other forum so 'hello again'!

My partner Marcus and I are hoping to get our first puppy in Spring 2012. We are both novice dog owners. I've been researching breeds for MONTHS - so-much-so that my my family have nicknamed me 'Dogzilla' :rolleyes:.

Anyway, Marcus and I discussed what it was we were looking for in our new furry friend and this is what we came up with:

- affectionate and loyal temperament
- goofy and fun character
- easily trainable (given we're first-time dog owners)
- low shedding fur (my father is asthmatic)
- compatible with cats (I have three adult cats)
- good with children (we don't have any yet but hope to... one day :eek:)
- energetic but not unmanageable (as in destructive)

So... after reading all the rave reviews on here and other aforementioned forum, talking to breeders and general research online we thought we'd found our perfect match!

However this weekend gone we met two Cockapoo owners - a lady in the street walking her dog and a friend whose father owns an adult Cockapoo. The lady in the street described her puppy as 'crazy'... I didn't get the impression that she meant that in a particularly complimentary way either :(. And the friend said that her father's Cockapoo is destructive, chews everything and is far too energetic for them. She said she wouldn't recommend them...

In terms of exercise, this is what our set up would be (when puppy is old enough):

Weekdays: 20 minutes morning and evening
Three days weekly: Puppy would go to 'Doggy Daycare' where dogs play together in huge fields with other dogs, have activities etc
Two days weekly: My mother would look after the dog. She walks six-seven miles a day in Richmond Park to keep fit
Weekend: 1-2 hours

We have a medium-sized garden and intend to keep puppy/dog happy and engaged as well as more conventional types of exercise.

Does anyone think that this wouldn't be enough for the high energy-levels of a Cockapoo? Our conversations this weekend have made me feel a bit nervous :confused:

We're due to meet Stephen & Julia of Jukee Doodles at the end of September and I'm sure many of our queries will be answered but it would be useful to get advise from Cockapoo owners in similar circumstances to our own.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance for your time and help.

Turi x

P.S. Is there anyone out there who is based in South-West London? We're on the Putney/Barnes border and when we do have our dog it would be lovely to have dog-walking pals!

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I think that you will be fine, alot of people do not train their dogs and end up with dogs they don't like, and then blame it on the type of dog. I personally would now never own any other dog.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, it shounds like you have everything in place. lol but for the first we while you mum might need to carry the puppy as thats a big walk.

puppys can be crazying and destructive, but they are normaly bored or have other training isues. but it sound like you shouldnt have to much problems.

what kind of cockapoo are you after American/English(working or show) cocker cross Mini or Toy poodle. do you have a colour in mind, boy or girl. ?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Welcome Turi:welcome:, sounds like you have everything all worked out for your pup. Now just for the LONG wait ;)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Turi

Ok thats an impressive first post :) welcome to the forum .. don't panic, cockapoos are lovely pets ... yes puppys are full on and can be a shock to the system to first time dog owners, thats any puppy not just cockapoos ... also you do get lively cockapoos, but they are not crazy, just full of energy .. fab character if you ask me ..... the crazy bit is left to us owners :) cockapoo crazy

I think I have seen you on another forum .... so I guess I will chat to you on both xxx

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I don't think that generally cockapoos are 'high energy' dogs. Flo has one 30-45 minute off lead walk a day which is fine for her. She goes to flyball once a week and has bags of energy and enthuiasm at the session but is equally happy to chill out when nothing much is happening. She gets rid of lots of energy by chewing on large meaty bones!

If a dogs behaviour is less than ideal it could be as much the owners fault as the dog.

Also when you select a dog you can get a good idea of their temperament when viewing (especially if you view at 6 weeks when the temperament is more apparent - which is something Jukee Doodles - JD - does). A good breeder who knows their puppies well will also be able to help you select a more laid back, relaxed charadter if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Turi and :welcome:

Cockapoo's are really lovely dogs, but you know that already :D :)

JD will really help you answer any concerns you have, when you go to visit.

If you fancy, we are having two Poo Fest meets coming up. The first is this Sunday in St Albans, Herts,, which will be an hour away. But the other is October 9th in Virginia Water about 20/30 mins from you. You will get to meet loads of us and our Cockapoo's so will really get a great feel about owning one of these lovely dogs.

Let me know if you want any more info, I'll dig out the threads. :D :D :D

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Dogzilla, I like it! :D Welcome Turi.

Perhaps you were just unlucky to meet people who hadn't particularly trained their dogs well? All puppies, regardless of breed, can have their crazy moment. Think terrible twos in children ;)

Don't forget there are different types of spaniel/poodle cross that will affect the temperament and character of the cockapoo so research them carefully. There is a post on here which goes in to depth on whether a working spaniel cross is more energetic than a show type spaniel cross. I'm still unsure where I sit on that one. I don't think I've met enough working crosses to make my own opinion :confused: I chose an American show type cross with miniature for the size and temperament that I wanted to fit with my family. I'm now looking for my second cockapoo. :)

Might I suggest that as well as visiting lots of breeders that you pop along to one of the growing number of 'cockapoo meets' advertised on here. You will meet a wide variety of dogs and see they can be quite different. You'll also be able to talk to the owners as we'll all a friendly bunch on here and happy to share our experiences.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again

Thank you for your posts :)

Lady Amanda, I hear what you’re saying. The lady we met in the street told us her Cockapoo puppy didn’t seem to understand instructions. He was pawing at her leg. She said ‘stop’ and then gave him a treat. Now, I’m no dog trainer but that seems a little bit backward to me! :p So yes, perhaps these owners and their training (or lack thereof) are the problem rather than the Cockapoos themselves.

Kendal, thank you for the advise about the longer walks. I’ve been investigating puppy bags/carrier but some do look rather... flash. Just want a bog-standard plain bag but they’re all a bit fancy for my tastes! I’ll continue looking... imagine a carrier might be useful in those crutial few weeks between innoculations so that you don’t feel like you’re turning into a hermit!

Kendal in terms of what kind of Cockapoo we’d like we're thinking an English Working Cocker x Miniature Poodle. We are very fond of the paler colours – blonde through to red but have been informed that the right puppy tends to choose you rather than the other way round so we’re going to try and be open-minded. With regards to *** we’re easy-going though when we’ve discussed names we’ve thought of a lot more boys names than girls!

Wellerfeller and Jojo, thank you for the welcome! Jojo, I think I’ve already become a crazy Cockapoo person and I don’t even have one yet lol!

Embee thank you for telling me about Flo - that's reassured me hugely! I see that Remy is only four weeks old. You must be so excited about picking her up?! Is she one of Jukee Doodles? If yes, I might meet her when I go and visit at the end of September :).

Milliedog, I'd love to come to a Poo Fest - how can I resist with a name like that :D. We're not free this weekend but let me check with Marcus - I'm 99% sure we're free on the 9th. Thank you for thinking of us!.

Given that you all seem to love pics on here... We went to see two litters of puppies in Kent a few weeks ago - they were absolutely beautiful! Just as well we're not in a position to have a dog just yet as I'd have happily taken one home. See attached...

Turi x

Attachments

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Oh were they ever cute!!!! and yes we do all love pics big time...well with cockapoos being so cute who wouldn't love to see more of them!!
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jedicrazy... missed you there.

Marcus and I are a young couple and welcome a bit of crazy - I love it when my cats have their mad moments ;)

I think you're right about meeting some adult Cockapoos - and the different 'types'. All puppies look cute and will invariably be more hyper than when they grow up so this meeting adults makes perfect sense.

Turi x

(a.k.a Dogzilla or should that be Poozilla... ok, getting a bit silly now)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Tori .. pups in the pic look lovely .. who was the breeder?

Where the puppies raised in the home? Was it a small breeder? I know you are keen on this ...

You will find your perfect pup for you ... you are researching well ... just enjoy it, puppy hunting can be fun :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jojo, you're right. I love the puppy hunt. Not sure what I'll do with my time between finding 'the one' and getting it home!

The breeder of the puppies in Kent is a farmer - he has about four litters a year. I suppose you'd call that a hobby breeder.

The puppies were in pens in the garden when we visited as it was a warm afternoon. I saw their beds in the kitchen where he said they returned at night.

We met his Poodle and saw his PRA certificate so I was satisfied about that. We also met the bitches he is breeding from next year - they were delightful. However he is not having another litter until summer 2012 and time-wise it is a lot easier for me to take time off work in Spring. I want to take 1-2 weeks off to get puppy settled.

The puppies is that they were smaller than I expected. The litters were five and six weeks respectively - do they grow a lot in their last two weeks before coming home? If I took home a puppy that size I'd worry my Bengal would eat it alive! Well, not eat it alive but you get what I mean :confused:.

Turi x

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Your in between time from finding a puppy to bringing the puppy home will be spend shopping!! and finding all those amazing doggy things!!! lol.

They are quite tiny when you bring them home...Lady was 13 weeks and she was only about 5 or 6 pounds...tiny She is now having her 1st birthday on Sunday and she is just shy of 14 pounds....which is on the small side for cockapoos as there are some on here that are much much larger than her.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hello Turi (& Marcus),

You have researched as much as we did whilst on our hunt for the perfect dog!! Don't worry, time will fly. We decided we definitely wanted one last Xmas and only got Luna in August and that 8 mths flew by. Spending all my spare time on this forum helped pass the time lol!!!

I think you know a cockapoo is the perfect dog for you. Don't let a couple of comments sway you. There are loads of us on here who will certainly disagree with them. I have a puppy and she has her mad 5 mins like all puppies but we were prepared for this and therefore weren't surprised when it happened. She can bite (luckily not furniture, so far) but again we were prepared so knew how to respond to this. I think you will be totally the same, and therefore the perfect puppy owners. And I think you'll love having a cockapoo.

So enjoy your hunt and we look forward to hearing how your search is going :)

Harri x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello again

Thank you for your posts :)

Lady Amanda, I hear what you’re saying. The lady we met in the street told us her Cockapoo puppy didn’t seem to understand instructions. He was pawing at her leg. She said ‘stop’ and then gave him a treat. Now, I’m no dog trainer but that seems a little bit backward to me! :p So yes, perhaps these owners and their training (or lack thereof) are the problem rather than the Cockapoos themselves.

Kendal, thank you for the advise about the longer walks. I’ve been investigating puppy bags/carrier but some do look rather... flash. Just want a bog-standard plain bag but they’re all a bit fancy for my tastes! I’ll continue looking... imagine a carrier might be useful in those crutial few weeks between innoculations so that you don’t feel like you’re turning into a hermit!

Kendal in terms of what kind of Cockapoo we’d like we're thinking an English Working Cocker x Miniature Poodle. We are very fond of the paler colours – blonde through to red but have been informed that the right puppy tends to choose you rather than the other way round so we’re going to try and be open-minded. With regards to *** we’re easy-going though when we’ve discussed names we’ve thought of a lot more boys names than girls!

Wellerfeller and Jojo, thank you for the welcome! Jojo, I think I’ve already become a crazy Cockapoo person and I don’t even have one yet lol!

Embee thank you for telling me about Flo - that's reassured me hugely! I see that Remy is only four weeks old. You must be so excited about picking her up?! Is she one of Jukee Doodles? If yes, I might meet her when I go and visit at the end of September :).

Milliedog, I'd love to come to a Poo Fest - how can I resist with a name like that :D. We're not free this weekend but let me check with Marcus - I'm 99% sure we're free on the 9th. Thank you for thinking of us!.

Given that you all seem to love pics on here... We went to see two litters of puppies in Kent a few weeks ago - they were absolutely beautiful! Just as well we're not in a position to have a dog just yet as I'd have happily taken one home. See attached...

Turi x
Hi Turi,
Welcome to the forum!
As you'll have noticed, you get a lot of great advice on here!
We're picking up our little bundle of joy on Saturday and are all really really excited.
We were advised by the lady I've booked puppy training classes with (I too am dogzilla and have been reading, booking, arranging etc just to have something puppy wise to do!!) to just get a rucksack, put a towel in the bottom (presumably wearing it on our fronts!) and take her everywhere we could to get her used to as many sights, sounds and smells as we could. So I don't think you'd even need a proper carrier.
I'll keep you posted as to whether it is do- able!!!
Have fun puppy hunting and shopping.
Hopefully we'll be at the Oct 9th meet.
Pip X

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amanda, can’t believe how teeny your Cockapoo is. I’m sure the larger of my cats weighs around the same amount but then he is a bit porky :eek:

Julie, thank you for the link. So, Virginia Water on the 9th of October, time TBC but probably early afternoon? It looks like there will be a lot of people (and poos) attending which will be a great and informative experience for us.

Harri, thank you for the reassurance – I think you may be right! So your little one (Luna, love the name :love-eyes:) is 14 weeks. How are you finding it? I recognise the wood decking in Luna’s photos... is she a JD pup?

Pip, thank you for the welcome cheer! Yes, I think the forum will be an invaluable source of advise and information over the coming months. I’ve already spent some time on here browsing through older posts and conversations – earlier today I read about a puppy who has learnt to sound a bell at the backdoor when it needs the loo. What a brilliant idea! Thank you for the rucksack idea – I mentioned it to Marcus and he’s much happier about that then a furry pink leopard print get-up ; ). We look forward to meeting you on the 9th – I assume your little one with be the youngest there. When are you picking him/her up?

Can’t wait – getting excited already!

Turi x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont waste you mony on a carrier, the pup will be to big for it before you have gotter propper use for it.

simply zipping up in a jacket is all that is needed. she will be able to walk but you mum will need to watch her and see when she is tierd, remember the distens you walk in one direction you have to walk the saem back.

look into training classes in your aria and get started early.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Turi,
We pick Kipper up (she's a girl) on Saturday morning.:D
Working out the dates she might just scrape in and be allowed to walk at the meet, otherwise she'll still be in the rucksack!

Looking forward to putting faces to names (or at least usernames!)

Pip x

1 - 20 of 49 Posts