I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum!
Im looking to get a puppy.. Me and my partner have been looking into this for a year now and circumstances have recently changed at home which means we could get a puppy in next few months or so. Cockapoo's was a bread id ne'er heard of until the other halfs boss got two. They look adorable but I know very little about them. Hoping joining this forum you can help me out with advice and any queries! I have never had a dog before and have two kittens. I want a puppy before the kittens become cats so it would be harder for them to adjust being older.
Firstly can cockapoo's get along with cats?
And being my first dog is this the dog I should be getting?
My nan has always had cockerspaniels and they have all been a delight up until 1 yr ago she got benji. He's a complete nightmare. Think my nan is getting too old to have trained him and now he completely rules the roost! Not good.
So any advice on how I can prevent this would be great!
Look forward to getting some replies!
Thanks

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, i have 4 cockapoos and 4 cats 3 who are aroud 11 years old, and one who is a kitten just under a year. for me it was farr easier with the older cats as they jusp put the pups in their place, the kitten is a winde up and encoreges the dogs to chase him.

what are you looking for boy/girl toy/miniture poodle American/English cocker do you have a colour in mind. generation 1st, 2nd etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't quite understand first,second generation and the difference in English/American. Sorry in completely new to this!

I have two male cats so I don't know what's best for the pup? They will both be done so I'm not sure which *** I would like. From experience with my nan all her female cockerspaniels have been great but her first male really isn't. But that could be my nannas fault!
And for colours, I like the apricot.. Lighter coloured pups. But don't there colour change after about 6 months slightly?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
all out cats are boys all our dogs are girls. all 8 are nutered(lol that sounds like a lot when i out it like that)

i have 4 first generaton cockapoos cokerspanial cross poolde, second gen is 2 first generation cockapoos as the parents, third is 2 second genreation cockapoos together etc

my three eldist are English cockers cross mini poodles their sizes range from 17" to almost 19" my youngest is an american cross mini poodle she is almost 16" American cocker crosses tend to be smaller than English and Toy poosle cross are even smaller.

my Gypsy was Apricaut when we got her but now she is a verry light buff that we call blond.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I definitely think that the more effort you put into them as a pup, the better results you'll get from them. When I watch Rosie with my kids, I get a little glimpse of what she would be like without training and control. She can already jump higher than their heads and she bosses my son about terribly when she gets the chance. But with me, she is calm and responsive (most of the time!) because she knows I won't put up with it. You also need to decide who is going to be boss - you or your partner. While you both need to stick to the same rules with the pup so she doesn't get confused, I think it is better if you only have one top dog in your family. Getting a puppy has finally made my husband realise that I am top dog in our family ;)

If you can, maybe you could spend some time with the parents of a puppy you're interested in. Behaviour is a mix of genes and environment, so if you see two well-behaved parents, then you know that if you give your pup the right environment, you're going to have a well-behaved dog. That isn't to say that unruly parents will definitely give you a problem pup, but it will give you a bit more confidence.

I am sure a cockapoo will be perfect for you, as long as you put the effort in to training him/her. Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
They are an intelligent, loving dog thats eager to please and a pleasure to own, as far as being top dog I think i just got the role by being the "main carer" and here 90% of the time, they are extremely loyal once that bond is made and almost clingy but its an andearing quality x

·
Registered
818 Posts
Firstly can cockapoo's get along with cats?
Yep.

And being my first dog is this the dog I should be getting?
Both breeds use to make cockapoos are eager to please, small, pretty smart, and generally easy to raise. So yes, I think it could be a good first dog. Express to your breeder that you want a easy to handle laid back dog, one that shouldn't be to much of a trouble maker. Get a pup from a paring of a show cocker, NOT a field cocker. They sometimes tend to be more hyper and unruly.

So any advice on how I can prevent this would be great!
Get good info.

Sites:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup
http://flyingdogpress.com/content/category/4/13/97/

Books:
http://www.amazon.com/Aint-Misbehavin-Groundbreaking-Program-Well-Behaved/dp/157954519X
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Unleashed-Creating-Confident-Paperback/dp/B000UCF53A

Read and watch as much as you can get your hands on by people that have many years experience with dogs and use good methods. Doing is better then reading for learning in most cases, but anything is better then nothing. ;) You can get a good feel for how to be around your dog, how to act, train, discipline, and love it to make it be a great dog. Don't just go into this blind with a half baked idea and some advise from the person down the street lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts