I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two bits of news:

I read Gwen Bailey’s ‘The Perfect Puppy’ and she suggested buying quite a few toys so that you can ‘rotate’ them avoiding puppy getting bored and ‘investigating’ something you don’t want it to. Those on here who know I’ve been a smug spread sheet keeper of all my expenditures will be pleased to hear that it all went out the window when I visited Pet Planet… I’ve had to hide the bag from my boyfriend Marcus because if he finds Stag bar, the Kong, the minty chew ball, the vet beds, the fleece blankets, the ball launcher, the boomerang, the Kong Snugga Wubba, the mooing rubber cow, the squeaky duck, the furry lobster, the rope tug-of-war toy, the tennis ball chew toy, the Boomer ball and the Tropiclean shampoo, conditioner and d-matt I’ve bought for the puppy we DON’T YET HAVE, he’s go mental!!! Someone stop me!

The much more exciting bit of news is that our hobby breeder’s bitch is starting to show – HURRAH, WE’RE PREGNANT!!! Madge (the mum) was mated on the 14th October so if all goes to plan we could be taking home our very own Cockapoo the second weekend of February.

Turi x

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Hi Turi

How exciting for you..I'm sure you will make a even more purchases before the birth!!.. I also relied on the Gwen Bailey book and thought that rotating toys
seemed quite logical but in reality Betty would simply not play with the toys
she did not like or have any interest in ( usually the most expensive ones..).
I just let her have the ones she likes now and she never seems to tire of them
( long ,stretched squeeky chicken is her all time favourite). She also has, bones,raw hide sticks, stag bars ... some times my place looks like an abatoir!

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Turi

How exciting for you..I'm sure you will make a even more purchases before the birth!!.. I also relied on the Gwen Bailey book and thought that rotating toys
seemed quite logical but in reality Betty would simply not play with the toys
she did not like or have any interest in ( usually the most expensive ones..).
I just let her have the ones she likes now and she never seems to tire of them
( long ,stretched squeeky chicken is her all time favourite). She also has, bones,raw hide sticks, stag bars ... some times my place looks like an abatoir!
Er… hadn’t considered that the puppy might not like the toys I buy it. Mental note – must stop now!!!

In any case Colin, I blame your bad influence for my excessive spending… after reading your posts I just had to!

Some things that I haven’t yet purchased are:

2 x stainless steel non-slip bowls
1 x clip on crate bowl
A car harness
A puppy collar or harness and lead
Worming and flea tablets – or does the vet do this for you?

I’m confused by the range of leads and harnesses available – what’s the difference and what do I need? A collar around puppy’s neck or one that goes under his front legs? A lead or an extendable lead – or both?

Turi x

· Registered
3,015 Posts
I just bought a fairly cheap puppy collar/lead set from PAH - they outgrow it
pretty quickly.
I did have a flexi lead but was put off it for two reasons that got brought up here.
1. It does not help the walking to heel process if they can run off in front etc..

2. I heard that people have not been quick enough to put the 'lock' on and dogs
have run out in roads and got killed ( think that came from Kendal).

I have to say I do enjoy buying all this dog stuff... have just put an order in from a SECOND Equafleece as the one I bought on Sunday is a bit snug and think Betty may outgrow it ( and anyway surely a girl does not want to wear the same outfit everyday does she??!!!!:D:D)

PS:- I would also reccommend a spaniel bowl as Betty's ears used to dangle
in the water then drip everywhere!!

· Registered
3,773 Posts
Woohoo! How exciting! :D

I would suggest a soft collar initially and then a rolled leather one when they are older. Why don't you enter our caption contest, you could win one and design it yourself? ;) x

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Yay Turi!! That's very exciting :D
& lovely to hear you had a shopping spree with no limit! Well done you :)
I'm the same, if I got into pet toy areas I have to buy some!
Izzie took no interest in my oinking pig which I was very disapoointed about because I love it! But most other toys she has she loves, she especially loves a long squeaky chicken & loved her squeaky space hopper toy (which she broke about 3 of so haven't gotten her anymore).
She loves her hide chews the most though, always keep her busy for a while :)

Our breeder supplied us with a puppy collar & lead when we brought both the girls home, so we didn't have to get them we just had to get the permanent adult ones :)
We do have a flexi lead, but tend to keep it locked while on road sides & then just let her off on the grass, the only time I use the flexi part is when I put her on to go past the mucky beck on her walk so that she can't go in it but can still run ahead :)

x

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought a fairly cheap puppy collar/lead set from PAH - they outgrow it
pretty quickly.
I did have a flexi lead but was put off it for two reasons that got brought up here.
1. It does not help the walking to heel process if they can run off in front etc..

2. I heard that people have not been quick enough to put the 'lock' on and dogs
have run out in roads and got killed ( think that came from Kendal).

I have to say I do enjoy buying all this dog stuff... have just put an order in from a SECOND Equafleece as the one I bought on Sunday is a bit snug and think Betty may outgrow it ( and anyway surely a girl does not want to wear the same outfit everyday does she??!!!!:D:D)

PS:- I would also reccommend a spaniel bowl as Betty's ears used to dangle
in the water then drip everywhere!!
I've never been to Pets at Home... sounds dangerous! Will try for a puppy collar set though - will take Marcus will be to curb the spending...

Eeeeek :eek: hadn't considered the risk of the extendable leads - yup, think I'll stick with the fixed one.

ANOTHER Equafleece Colin?! What about pink - Betty would look so cute in pink :p

I've seen the Spaniel bowls and wondered why they were different (doh!)

Woohoo! How exciting! :D

I would suggest a soft collar initially and then a rolled leather one when they are older. Why don't you enter our caption contest, you could win one and design it yourself? ;) x
I love Daisy's collar. I'd like to get an unusual coloured leather collar.

What's the caption contest?!

Yay Turi!! That's very exciting :D
& lovely to hear you had a shopping spree with no limit! Well done you :)
I'm the same, if I got into pet toy areas I have to buy some!
Izzie took no interest in my oinking pig which I was very disapoointed about because I love it! But most other toys she has she loves, she especially loves a long squeaky chicken & loved her squeaky space hopper toy (which she broke about 3 of so haven't gotten her anymore).
She loves her hide chews the most though, always keep her busy for a while :)

Our breeder supplied us with a puppy collar & lead when we brought both the girls home, so we didn't have to get them we just had to get the permanent adult ones :)
We do have a flexi lead, but tend to keep it locked while on road sides & then just let her off on the grass, the only time I use the flexi part is when I put her on to go past the mucky beck on her walk so that she can't go in it but can still run ahead :)

x
Laura, I thought you especially would like the fact I've loosened a bit on the spending front...! :D

Turi x

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Laura, I thought you especially would like the fact I've loosened a bit on the spending front...! :D

Turi x
Of course m'dear ;)
It's always nice to spoil your puppies :D
Even months before they get home :eek: HAHA.
Just wait til you have kids ;)
You won't know what's hit your bank account! (probably a hurricane!) :eek:
I can't imagine how many spreadsheets you'd need then, one for every present buying occasion & then one for every month of the year?! Scary stuff, I think i'll wait a while for kids ;)
x

· Registered
3,773 Posts

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course m'dear ;)
It's always nice to spoil your puppies :D
Even months before they get home :eek: HAHA.
Just wait til you have kids ;)
You won't know what's hit your bank account! (probably a hurricane!) :eek:
I can't imagine how many spreadsheets you'd need then, one for every present buying occasion & then one for every month of the year?! Scary stuff, I think i'll wait a while for kids ;)
x
Laura, I get the impression you're taking the mick out of me... ;)

OMG! OMG! Congratulations! This is going to be the most planned and researched puppy in existence! Lol.

Only three months left for shopping! ......Oh no! :D:D:D

Karen xx
You say that Karen, but I haven't really focused on training so it will probably be the most spoilt and badly trained too lol!

We are running a caption contest on our website. The prize is a Indi-dog collar flat or buckle style. You can choose the colour and material and which decorative ribbon trim you would like added. They are really lovely and she gets great feedback. You could always order a matching lead! :D

Competition is here:

http://www.cockapoo-owners-club.org.uk/fun_stuff_competitions_monthly.html

Details of Sid's collars here:

http://www.indi-dog.co.uk/collar.html

x
Oh man! I am SO bad at this sort of thing... let me put my thinking cap on!

Turi x

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Laura, I get the impression you're taking the mick out of me... ;)
I'm actually not now, I was seriously thinking about how much money children must cost if we can spend so much on our dogs! :eek:
So I was just saying I think i'll wait a little while :)
Sorry for being a meany, i've enjoyed looking at your spread sheets :)
So no hard feelings :) x

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm actually not now, I was seriously thinking about how much money children must cost if we can spend so much on our dogs! :eek:
So I was just saying I think i'll wait a little while :)
Sorry for being a meany, i've enjoyed looking at your spread sheets :)
So no hard feelings :) x
Lol, don't worry I know you're only joking! I could send you ALL my spread sheets if you want some fun reading?! :p

Turi x

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Lol, don't worry I know you're only joking! I could send you ALL my spread sheets if you want some fun reading?! :p

Turi x
Good :D I knew you were okay anyway because you winked & I always use the wink in a good way :)
Well you can send me ALL your doggy spread sheets? But i'm sure if they're on any other topics then I won't understand their purpose so I won't enjoy them as much ;) x

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.