I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sid has been home now for 3 weeks and he is 13 wks old. He came home with Orijen food and after about 5 days we changed him on to NI. He is fed 3x a day and we used Orijen for his training treats.

He came home and had squidgy poos, which I understand is normal when moving home so we added natural yoghurt to his food. His poos firmed up and on NI we had a few firm poos. Last Sunday he started to have squidgy poos again and as they didn't clear up, Tuesday I started to add yoghurt again to his food and on Wednesday I took him to the wet to check him out.

His bowls were slightly inflamed and unfortunately they said he should have 'Hills' food, a bland diet for 3 days to help his digestive system clam down with added yoghurt. We cut out the Orijen as treats so he hasn't had any Orijen since Wednesday.

His poos became firm again so this morning for his breakfast he had NI and yoghurt. About 1hr later he did a soft poo again, what's going on? I am really keen to feed him a very good quality food and and very enthusiastic about NI but why could this be happening? Any advice would be welcome.....please :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am really sorry, I don't have any advice but Daisy also has soft poos on NI and she now refuses to eat it. :( She will only eat chicken wings, carcasses and lamb bones. I was considering changing her to a different type but I am concerned about wasting lots of money if she doesn't eat it again. :(

I hope that you manage to sort Sid's diet out. :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi Nic,

I'm new on here and hoping to get our first Cockapoo next Spring. As such I don't have any answers (sorry) but since you've started a thread on NI I was going to ask:

Do all the puppy owners on here intend to feed your Cockapoos NI forever or just in their formative months? I ask only because having been on their website and worked out at a grown Cockapoo would eat 300-400g a day (the recommended amount for a spaniel-sized dog) this would cost approximately £30 a month. I've never had a dog before and I don't mean to sound tight (!) but this sounds quite expensive to me. Am I wrong, is this just how much dog food generally costs? Is there any way of making the costs more manageable but mixing the NI with dry food to spread it out a bit?

Turi x

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm not sure why you're having such problems on NI. Maybe we're just lucky but we switched Luna to NI without any gradual phasing on Day 1 of getting her & since then she's had firm non smelly poos every time. We also give her Orijen sometimes for training treats. She adores her food & wolfs it down. In terms of cost, £30 of NI will last us 6 weeks which we think is good. It won't last as long when she's older but others on here have said it costs approx 60-80p/day to feed a NI diet to their fully grown cockapoos which I think is very reasonable for a high quality food.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi Nic,

I'm new on here and hoping to get our first Cockapoo next Spring. As such I don't have any answers (sorry) but since you've started a thread on NI I was going to ask:

Do all the puppy owners on here intend to feed your Cockapoos NI forever or just in their formative months? I ask only because having been on their website and worked out at a grown Cockapoo would eat 300-400g a day (the recommended amount for a spaniel-sized dog) this would cost approximately £30 a month. I've never had a dog before and I don't mean to sound tight (!) but this sounds quite expensive to me. Am I wrong, is this just how much dog food generally costs? Is there any way of making the costs more manageable but mixing the NI with dry food to spread it out a bit?

Turi x
I think I am right in saying that the owners who feed NI see it as a long term food option not just for the puppy stage. Personally I was combining bones from the butcher with one meal of NI per day but as you have probably read I am also having trouble with it. I spend about £10 per month at the butchers and this would feed Daisy for the month. I wanted to use NI as it had other healthy ingredients. I think I am going to have to start making my own concotions though! :)

I appreciate that NI might seem expensive but there are other ways of feeding raw, you just need to make sure you are giving the dog the right nutrients. If you google raw feeding you will find alot of information and suggested meal options. I wouldn't feed my dog anything else. I have experienced some negativity to feeding raw but when I read the ingredients list on commercial dog food I feel I am doing the right thing. If you need any help with diet and raw feeding when you get your puppy there is lots of experience on here and people are always happy to help! :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Nic,

Turi x
Flo is nearly 2 years old, is 15 inches high, weighs 10.5kg and only eats 200g per day - remember that you reduce the amount once that reach maturity. For chicken brought as 1kg packs that's only 57p per day so about £17 per month. I also get essential or value chicken wings and Morrisons lamb ribs to replace some NI meals and that is even cheaper so I'd say she costs about £14 per month to feed.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am really sorry, I don't have any advice but Daisy also has soft poos on NI and she now refuses to eat it. :( She will only eat chicken wings, carcasses and lamb bones. I was considering changing her to a different type but I am concerned about wasting lots of money if she doesn't eat it again. :(

I hope that you manage to sort Sid's diet out. :)
Maybe she just doesn't like the texture and prefers to gnaw wings, carcasses and bones as the NI is a bit sloppy. Or maybe she doesn't like some of the ingredients like butternut squash?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
this morning for his breakfast he had NI and yoghurt. About 1hr later he did a soft poo again.
If he poo'ed 1 hour after eating NI for breakfast that won't be what he had for breakfast 'coming out' as food takes 5 hours to digest, it'll be what he had the night before. Have you spoken to Natural Instinct to describe the problem and ask what they think, they are really knowledgeable and helpful.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Maybe she just doesn't like the texture and prefers to gnaw wings, carcasses and bones as the NI is a bit sloppy. Or maybe she doesn't like some of the ingredients like butternut squash?
It is very wierd but she had a really runny tum and then that was it..refused it ever since! :( I am going to order the NI tripe and tripe mix though and just try it with her. It is not something I have included in her diet yet but I know it is fantastic for them. :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
It is very wierd but she had a really runny tum and then that was it..refused it ever since! :( I am going to order the NI tripe and tripe mix though and just try it with her. It is not something I have included in her diet yet but I know it is fantastic for them. :)
BEWARE :D:D:D - very smelly food or at least that's what Dylansmum said. But if she loves it great - the things we do for our dogs :D

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Pepto Bismol????

I've just found and interesting webpage on diarrhea which also has some practical advice on rebalancing the puppies bowels. Pumpkin?? didn't know that one. It sounds as though whatever Sid has picked up or stress he's felt now his tummy is sore, so whatever you feed him might not agree with him and therefore he won't like to eat it. Think of how you feel if you have an upset tum. They are suggesting to use Pepto Bismol for dogs with diarhhea.....I've never used it....has anyone else??? Julia x

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/diarrhea.htm

http://www.alldoghealth.com/pepto-bismol-for-dogs/

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I would speak to NI, they are so helpful.

I've used the Tripe & Turkey mix (well Millie has) and she absolutely loved it. It looked a bit odd, quite a lot of different textures. A bit smelly, but once she'd eaten it, it didn't linger on her breath. :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I would speak to NI, they are so helpful.

I've used the Tripe & Turkey mix (well Millie has) and she absolutely loved it. It looked a bit odd, quite a lot of different textures. A bit smelly, but once she'd eaten it, it didn't linger on her breath. :D
Good idea, I will call them on Monday. x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've just found and interesting webpage on diarrhea which also has some practical advice on rebalancing the puppies bowels. Pumpkin?? didn't know that one. It sounds as though whatever Sid has picked up or stress he's felt now his tummy is sore, so whatever you feed him might not agree with him and therefore he won't like to eat it. Think of how you feel if you have an upset tum. They are suggesting to use Pepto Bismol for dogs with diarhhea.....I've never used it....has anyone else??? Julia x

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/diarrhea.htm

http://www.alldoghealth.com/pepto-bismol-for-dogs/
Not heard of that one before but thanks for the info. I was recommended Tree Barks Powder.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-...dies-c-5_145/dorwest-tree-barks-powder-p-2025

It's great for soothing a sore tum, can be used from weaning and can also be used for lactating mums. I have a tub in as I found Rufus was reluctant to eat live natural yoghurt! I haven't used it at all since feeding my own BARF though.

Karen xx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Going back to the original question...is it diarrhea or just soft poo? If it is the former I would try one of the suggestions from Julia or the Tree Bark powder and try a bland diet reccomended such a chicken and rice. When Daisy had a runny poo I switched her on to Chicken wings only and after a day she was fine. I am not sure whether it was the higher bone content or a reaction to the NI.

Good luck and I hope things improve. :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
When Buddy was on Orijen his motions were really loose once i started feeding NI he has a firm perfect non smelly poo everytime.
Prehaps you should just feed NI (no yogurt ,no oriejn) just as a process of elimination wait 24-48 hrs and see how it passes through him? At least then you'd know if it was the NI that was the problem.
Good luck hope hes better soon dx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Max had soft poos when we got him home (on Orijen) so we added some cooked chicken and yogurt to his food to ease his tummy. That was on the Monday, and the NI arrived on the Wednesday so we switched him straight over and his poos have been firm since... apart from when we were camping and he sneaked a whole frankfurter and some french stick out of hubby's sisters bin bag and scoffed them... his poo the next morning was absolutely vile!!

I hope you get Sid sorted soon, bless him xx

1 - 20 of 42 Posts