I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for some advice. We have welcomed home a lush little black cockapoo boy named Merlin. He’s Fantastic. He is doing all toileting outside and can calm himself for a sleep when it is time. We noticed he was getting more bitey when he was overtired or overexcited ( which is going to happen as we’ve two kids 4&7). He does go in a crate at night and has been ok at this but he definitely does not love it. He settles after a while and presently I am sleeping in the living room with him. Q. If he wakes (which he does) at 12 and 1.30ish should I be letting him out for toilets? I don’t want to continue something I can’t sustain but wondering what you think? He gets up at 6.30 am usually although last night was much more interrupted and he got up at 5.30. It’s so like newborns all over again! 🥰

·
Registered
9 Posts
The general guideline for pups is they'll hold their bladder for roughly 1 hour per month of age, so approximately 2 hours at 9 weeks old. It is perfectly normal to need to get him up a couple of times during the night at this age. Also, as you say he doesn't love his crate, I'd be wary of leaving him too long so he soils it in any way, as may make him even more uncomfortable. If he's been getting through the night so far you've been very lucky, but personally I'd be taking him out at least once to make sure he's comfy and can settle down again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As Jo said above, it's quite normal to get up for toileting at this age. Would you consider having the crate next to your bed while he is so little? That way you don't have to sleep downstairs. We had our puppy right next to the bed for a few weeks gradually moving him further away and eventually downstairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As Jo said above, it's quite normal to get up for toileting at this age. Would you consider having the crate next to your bed while he is so little? That way you don't have to sleep downstairs. We had our puppy right next to the bed for a few weeks gradually moving him further away and eventually downstairs.
Thanks both of you. As it happens he slept through all night last night! I am happy to sleep downstairs until that no longer happens. I don’t want to take him upstairs at all. My dogs at home were never aloud up there and I makes sense to me (personally).
I will keep taking him out if he needs it. Thanks for the advice. It’s really helpful!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, I am looking for some advice. We have welcomed home a lush little black cockapoo boy named Merlin. He’s Fantastic. He is doing all toileting outside and can calm himself for a sleep when it is time. We noticed he was getting more bitey when he was overtired or overexcited ( which is going to happen as we’ve two kids 4&7). He does go in a crate at night and has been ok at this but he definitely does not love it. He settles after a while and presently I am sleeping in the living room with him. Q. If he wakes (which he does) at 12 and 1.30ish should I be letting him out for toilets? I don’t want to continue something I can’t sustain but wondering what you think? He gets up at 6.30 am usually although last night was much more interrupted and he got up at 5.30. It’s so like newborns all over again! 🥰
I’ve summarised the most important points below:

1. Give him as many opportunities as you can manage for him to get it right. It really is that simple! The more times he is rewarded for going to the toilet in the right place, the quicker he will learn.
  2. It’s equally important that you must never punish any mistakes that he makes during this learning time. If he thinks you are going to punish him then you’ll only confuse and worry him and the training will take much longer.
  3. Find a place you can keep your Cockapoo where it’s okay for ‘accidents’ to happen – but this is only for brief times when you cannot supervise him during training. For example, an indoor kennel or crate or an area penned off in the kitchen (baby gates work well). It has to be a relatively small area, which will discourage him from going to the toilet there. Place his bedding and water in his safe area and also use this space to feed him in. (Please note: if a Cockapoo or puppy is shut in an indoor kennel or pen for long periods of time, this can become a serious welfare issue and is not something that we recommend.)
  4. First thing in the morning, take your Cockapoo outside, stand with him and wait for him to go to the toilet. When he ‘goes’, give him lots of praise as he finishes (being careful not to interrupt what he is doing) and give him a treat. He should need a wee and a poo, so wait for him to do both.
  5. When he has gone to the toilet, you can take him back inside and have a play or cuddle. Let him have full access to the room that you are in – but only as long as you can give him your full attention and watch him – otherwise return him to his safe area.
  6. Take your Cockapoo out every hour on the hour from morning to last thing at night, to give him the opportunity to go to the toilet. You will also need to do this after exercise or play and after meals.
  7. When he goes, praise and reward him with a favorite treat (and write down the time of day that he went and what he did). If you keep a note of this every day, you will find that a pattern of when he goes takes shape. You can then use this to predict when he’ll need to go to the toilet. After about a week you shouldn’t have to take him out as often as every hour.
TIP: There will be times you can’t watch him, so place him in his safe area with a chew toy. It’s kinder to put him in his den area when you cannot watch him than he senses your disappointment if he toilets in the wrong place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts