I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past wk Maggies new trick is to nip my calves and then run away, then if I try and approach her she goes into a play bow and runs away. I am therefore assuming that this is all a big game for her, problem is it really hurts! My calves are covered in bruises. I am the only one she does this with.
For all other naughty behaviour the only thing that really works is putting her out of the room for a few mins as a time out type of thing, kind of like the naughty step but for puppies! However with this behaviour she is way too quick for me to get a hold of, and she doesnt respond to noises so I am at a loss as to what to do. She sometimes does this behaviour when we are in the park too which is embarrassing as when she does it she really growls so she must look quite agressive. Any tips would be much appreciated as I have no idea what im doing wrong:(:confused:.
Emma x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
For the past wk Maggies new trick is to nip my calves and then run away, then if I try and approach her she goes into a play bow and runs away. I am therefore assuming that this is all a big game for her, problem is it really hurts! My calves are covered in bruises. I am the only one she does this with.
For all other naughty behaviour the only thing that really works is putting her out of the room for a few mins as a time out type of thing, kind of like the naughty step but for puppies! However with this behaviour she is way too quick for me to get a hold of, and she doesnt respond to noises so I am at a loss as to what to do. She sometimes does this behaviour when we are in the park too which is embarrassing as when she does it she really growls so she must look quite agressive. Any tips would be much appreciated as I have no idea what im doing wrong:(:confused:.
Emma x
Hi Emma - below is from a thread I joined a while back - though I must add that it works if you act quickly at a young age AND if you are prepared to carry on as you start out !....

The trick here is to act as the bigger more aggressive "dog".

If you watch dogs and puppies play - things normally reach a point where the more dominant dog decides enough is enough and snaps; snarls and gives a short; sharp BARK at the other dog / puppy.
Sounds like your puppy is playing a "dominance" game - when puppies are growing they will play-fight - all cute and fun and innocent looking - BUT hides the fact that they are genuinely working out who amongst them are top dog - they develop a hierarchy within the litter from an early age.

In order to put a stop to - biting; mouthing and/or hanging off clothes - YOU MUST be the bigger more aggressive "dog" and educate the puppy that YOU are boss.

If your puppy does any of the above (and it can look like playtime) - then get hold of the puppy around it's muzzle (nose) and gently squeeze and say "NO !" in a firm 'gruff, bark like voice' - squeeze until the puppy squeaks and pulls away (and allow the puppy to pull it's self away from your grip). Most puppies will understand quickly but a more assertive puppy will come back at you again (and maybe a couple of times) - this is a "game" YOU MUST WIN - so if it does come back - get hold of it with a firmer grip and a louder "NO!!" (almost "bark" the "NO" at it !). As soon as the puppy backs down and you win, immediately go back to normal.

Remember - this is a learning curve for your dog / puppy - and you are just letting it know who is boss - puppies will be happiest if they are at the bottom of the pecking order in the household - as it means they will be looked after. Any puppy feeling that it needs to go up in the pecking order will ultimately get more stressed as it is looking to take on a role where it has to "look after; protect and be a provider" for YOU.

I know it sounds harsh to squeeze the muzzle until they squeak /yelp and pull away - BUT puppies don't hold grudges !!!! - as soon as the lesson is learnt and understood - they can happily come to you for hugs and cuddles too without issue.

This is something WE have observed and learnt first hand - it works (if done correctly - and assertively) without any physical or phycological damage to the puppy - we offer this advice to all our customers and it is clearly worded in our "Idiot's Guide" that also goes with each of our puppies in our "Puppy Pack".

Stephen xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
keep a lead on her, just a wee light cat lead, lit it drag that way all you have to do is stand on the lead and she cant run off.

is their a particular time she does this, i.e a particular pair of jeans, passing a particular aria in the house, walking fast, not paying her attention?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seem to be lots of triggers, she defo does it when im on the phone. The other time she always does it is on a walk not when we were are on the pavement but always when we cut accross a large grassy area. What im wearing doesnt seem to make a difference. And there are other times she does it but I dont know what could be the the trigger at these times. Emma x

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Dexter behaves in a similar way Emma- yesterday he sunk his razor-sharp teeth into my hand when I was sitting on the sofa and drew blood! I was NOT pleased! He got the loud horn in his ear about 5 times as I was so angry! The horn does work as he hates loud noises but it means I have to have it handy all the time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts