I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi North East-erners,

I have organised to meet some Cockapoo's in November and December; and would like to extend the meeting to this forum too :D

For November/December:

03/11/2013; 11.00am - Watergate Forest Park, Taken place

08/12/2013; 11.00am
The Derwent Walk Country Park and Derwenthaugh Park

Website: http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Document...de/Derwent.pdf

Parking: 54.942872,-1.710715 – There are several car parks along this road, this one is opposite Winlaton Mill garage, I would advise arriving early incase car park is full, it will allow you to park and join further along the path if necessary.

The Meeting Point is just passed the car park so pooches are away from road: 54.942857,-1.709936. Head down the main path and to the right. We will meet there as it is the first opportunity to unleash the pooches.

The Red Kite Pub: 54.941659,-1.711717;
I am advised that there is an outside seating area so if we all wrap up warm, there may be a pint at the end of it. I am doubtful we will all be allowed in with the dogs as assuming there’s a good turn out, it could be a bit manic.

Please let me know if you are attending; how many Poos are coming with you as I count Poos not people before we start.

On this occasion, please can you let me know if you or anyone coming with you has mobility issues, there are a few routes we can take to avoid stairs and pre warning will help us plan - there are approximately 20 moderate steep stairs on the intended route at the moment (also weather dependent).

Recommendations: Wellies, coats and dog coats if weather is cold or wet. Please be aware it is December – Metro Centre traffic will be worse than normal.

As a side note, I'm happy to get dates organised but I'm useless at directions and stuff so if anyone would like to nominate themselves to map routes for walks, if required, that would be marvellous :rolleyes:

Can you please let me know if you are attending so we don't start our walk without you?

Hope to see you all there :)

:ciao:
Jenna x

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Susan,

No problem; I'm hoping their will be a good turn out at both Nov and Dec meet; If their is I will try and set the first Sunday of the month for next year so everyone knows what the plan is :)

xx

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jenna

might it be possible to alternate between Sunday and Saturday? one month Sunday and the next Saturday, something like that? Sundays are not always easy for us, and I expect some other people too? But don't worry too much, we will just come to the ones we can when we are able.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, we shall see you on 3rd November at Watergate Forest Park :)

Looks like we will have a good turn out :D And the weather is meant to be mild which is even better :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is parking next to the Marquis of Granby?If not could you let me know where thanks:confused:
Hi Eddy,

Please look at the below info for an update. Parking is where the map coordinates should take you, it is just off the Whickham Highway.

I've realised a few people aren't able to locate the park.

Postcode: NE11 9RQ
Map Coordinates: 54.939938,-1.642033
Google link (Hopefully): http://goo.gl/maps/4w2If
Website: http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Leisure and Culture/countryside/sites/watergate.aspx

I've also found out the pub i suggested previously no longer opens on mornings! Typical.

Ravensdene Lodge Hotel will be open: http://www.ravensdenelodgehotel.com/

For caffeine: For a coffee/toilet enroute to the walk; there is a few different places on team valley; Marks and Sparks; Asda cafe; Starbucks (in Next), McDonalds and 2 Greggs (1 over the road from Mothercare and 1 at Maingate - NE11 0NU). there's also a large Sainsburys.

Is there anything else you need to know that I've missed?

Please come with ideas for the December walk; I've had requests for a dog friendly cafe, toilets at starting point and somewhere for nice takeaway coffee. We don't tend to go for that kind of walk so i'm hoping you do and have some suggestions :D

Excited to see you all :D 1 more sleep till doodledashing craziness :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone who came, excellent turn out. Hope to see you at 8th December meet :)

Apologies if i never got a chance to say hello :) xxx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone,

Just a little update, the 8th December meet will be at The Derwent Walk Country Park and Derwenthaugh Park. I'm going to take Magnum this weekend to scope out the location and work out where is best to park and start. :spy:
Suggestions welcome if anyone has been before :D

The Country Park is a mixture of woodlands, meadows, wetlands, riverside and reclaimed industrial sites all linked by the Derwent Walk.

The Derwent Walk is the track-bed of the old Derwent Valley Railway.
It is 11 miles (18 km) long and follows the Derwent Valley between Swalwell in the north and Consett in the south.

:undwech:
I'd love a good map reader to take the lead of the walk if anyone is willing? Think Neil got a bit lost on Sunday :rolleyes:

Hope to see you all there, keep an eye on this thread for the further info
:whoo:

Thanks
Jenna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for Sunday, I lived in Whickham and it was the first time I have been there!
We have been on Derwent walk lots - we usually use the car park opposite Winlaton club, on the road to Rowlands Gill. There is a pub, the Red Kite (previously called theRed Lion), which is accessible from the walk - don't have to access from the road, they have benches outside so could have a cuppa with dogs.
There is an open area with a lake at the start and then able to join the 'Derwent walk' or follow the Red Kite trail so can make the walk as long or short as you want.
Eddy & Janet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are most welcome, it was lovely to see so many poos playing :)

We're going to pop over at the weekend so will nosey there and see if there's enough space for parking etc. We've only been once before so may ask for your expert eye if you're coming on the 8th :D

In other news, I've had multiple Facebook messages asking if people can join so weather permitting :rain: their will probably be more than there was on Sunday :eek:

Jenna
x

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All,

I just wanted to update everyone with the info for the Cockapoo Meet on 8th December at 11.00am at Derwent Walk Country Park and Derwenthaugh Park.
Website: http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Leisure/CountrysideWildlife/countryside/Derwent.pdf

Parking: 54.942872,-1.710715 – There are several car parks along this road, this one is opposite Winlaton Mill garage, I would advise arriving early incase car park is full, it will allow you to park and join further along the path if necessary.

The Meeting Point is just passed the car park so pooches are away from road: 54.942857,-1.709936. Head down the main path and to the right. We will meet there as it is the first opportunity to unleash the pooches.

The Red Kite Pub: 54.941659,-1.711717;
I am advised that there is an outside seating area so if we all wrap up warm, there may be a pint at the end of it. I am doubtful we will all be allowed in with the dogs as assuming there’s a good turn out, it could be a bit manic. ;)

On this occasion, please can you let me know if you or anyone coming with you has mobility issues, there are a few routes we can take to avoid stairs and pre warning will help us plan - there are approximately 20 moderate steep stairs on the intended route at the moment (also weather dependent).
:racer:
The route goes along the river derwent and includes some open fields. We’re thinking of walking along to the meadows then coming back on ourselves along a relatively solid path.

Recommendations: Wellies, coats and dog coats if weather is cold or wet. Please be aware it is December – Metro Centre traffic will be worse than normal.

I do not want to publically put my mobile number out so would appreciate it if you can let me know if you are coming and I can send you my number separately incase of issues and to give me an idea of number (I’m counting Poos not people :eek:)

Hope to see you all there.
:twothumbs:
Jenna
xxx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone struggling with the location, this postcode (NE21 6RT) will take you to the pub over the road but please familiarise yourself with the area as the car park is just before this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi jenna,my name is chris and i,m bringing my 11 month old cockapoo puppy 2 the walk this wknd,is it open 2 all breeds as my friend would like 2 come with her boxers but aint 2 sure if its ok or not??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts