I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. As most of you know Isaac came home yesterday and was lovey. However he did wee on the carpet alot and also poo'd. Not so clever. I let him out every 30mins, and waited. But he just weed a tiny amount on the carpet loads! And then the poo, he just did it, didn't even look like he needed to go, just got it over and done with. After these accidents I've been saying "no" and putting him outside to show him that's where he goes!
Anyway, for the night time we went to bed really early at 9.30 and I guessed he wouldn't be tired then, so when he moaned we let him out and put him outside, then let him have cuddles until he was sleepy. Put him in his crate and left him. He then whined for ages, and ages, he barked and howled like a little wolf dog!! I couldn't handle it so I took him outside, then brought him in for more cuddles in bed. Again he fell asleep and I put him back. Nope. More howling and crying. So we moved the crate into the bedroom thinking that might help. No. So at about 11 now i put him on the bed and he fell asleep, then put him in his cage and he stayed there quiet :) woo. Until about 3am :( then he was up moaning again. So outside he goes, wee done, back in then let to fall asleep on the bed before being put in his crate. Off he sleeps till 5, then out for a wee, sleep on the bed, an back in the crate until 7. When my OH gets up and plays with him and takes him outside, until 9 when he falls asleep and we now have been trying to snooze!
I know that's totally bad. And so spoilt. But we live in a flat and I would hate for the noise to wake others, we are in the process of moving to a new 3 story beautiful house in a week, where he will be able to be left to moan because he will be downstairs and we will be on the 3rd floor!
Any help? Hahahaa, please don't be mean and say naughty Laura. I just couldn't handle waking others up and getting complaints when we are only a week from leaving (it's not my own flat) we get our baby back tonight who's been staying at granddaddys and he wakes up in the night as well! :( wah!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Oh dear! My Grandmother would have said "you're making a rod for your own back"!:laugh:
In your position, I would probably have done exactly the same, and start crate training seriously in the new house, although it may take longer...
In the meantime, it may be a good idea not to cuddle him to sleep :D
Good luck Laura :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know it's hard but you need to just ride this week out and Isaac will get used to his crate. Put something in like an old tshirt that you've been wearing to smell of you. Don't go to him if he is crying as he will learn to cry to get you to come. Tough love I'm afraid

As for weeing and knowing that outside is the place - I bought a spray that you spray in the area of the garden you want puppy to wee in. I would take Lolly outside, spray, she would sniff and imedietely wee! Then I would say 'Toilet' in a singy praisy voice and treat! I'll find a picture of the bottle

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry Laura - Hope I didn't sound harsh!!! We went through it will Lolly. Puppies will cry if left alone but I promise that it won't last more than a week (fingers crossed) We got to day 5 with small times of crying through the night and then had the worst night ever! so the next night following advice from here and our vet we tried

The t-shirt
leaving radio on
DAP spray
Really wearing her out before bed

And it worked she slept through and has ever since!

If you want Isaac to go through the night without having to take him out for a wee then I would suggest you don't go to bed until later (11pm maybe) spending the hour before really playing hard with him to wear him out. Take out for a wee and then leave him in his crate and don't go back until 6am. We decided not to get up in the night for Lolly as I just thought that would reinforce the cry and they'll come thing! She only ever wee'd once in her crate the first night and never again. But I think we were particularly lucky as Lolly picked up the toilet training really quickly!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes I agree - Billy only whined for two nights and then slept through, you may be better just getting it over and done with quickly or you may have more problems in the long run. Also if you get your puppy used to the crate this week then it won't be as unsettling when you move.
Good luck with tonight.
Helen x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:) thanks guys! He has a pillow case in there that we had on our bed as I thought that might help as he was snuggling in bed! Sleeping later is a bit harder as we have a young baby who goes to bed at 8 and then we are so shattered we sleep early because Toby (my baby) wakes a lot in the night. So can always take Isaac out in the night for wees as we will be up anyway! :( im just more worried about the noise!x

·
Registered
573 Posts
Laura - it is easier said than done - I would be the same - very concerned about waking other people up and also heart breaking for little Isaac!
When you move house [sounds lovely] its all change again and so Isaac will have new surroundings to get used to and like you say he can cry to his hearts content!
I would have him sleep in your room until then but in his cage with you nearby to reassure him x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it's just difficult! We brought our house in July!!! So we were expecting to be in by now :( it will only be a week now, so I think I'll just try and keep him happy and then he can learn next week! He is only 7 weeks old, so I think he is a bit small to just be left to cry! (he probably isn't it's just my maternal instinct!!)
I don't want to spoil him or get him into bad habits and I know it's best to teach him from day one, but would it be really awful to teach him from day seven instead? :( naughty mummy!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself Laura .. each puppy is different and so are us owners.. I have had puppies that settle during the night from day one without one whimper and others that will whimper non stop... you have to do what suits you.. my only advice would be to make sure Isaac has all he needs if you plan to leave him, sleep area, toilet area and make sure you are calling the shots, not him :) you will find a routine soon enough ... we are all here to support you ... puppies are cute but hard work .. it does get easier xxx

Some info on night time routine here, it may give you some ideas ...

http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/2011/10/16/caring-for-your-new-puppy/

Chin up .. strong coffee ... he will settle soon enough xxx

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Good luck Laura. A puppy and a baby are going to be very tough to begin with, as you say dead cute but there will be tears (yours!). There is nothing worse than being tired, I hope you get success tonight, hopefully you are already all asleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
we brought macey home on friday evening 21st oct. shattered ! the first night wasnt too bad but last night was worse. i have tried putting her in the cage each time she nods off thought it may help her get used to it. shes beautiful and we all love her though we will try again 2nite wish us luck :eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:( oh good luck, we are struggling too really bad. Everytime he wines we take him outside and then he takes 20mins to fall asleep again. Tonight our aim is to ignore him completely, and let him learn that he has a toilet area in his cage:( I don't want to be sleeeeeepppy again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.