I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking after my friends 2 and a half year old cockapoo girl, as a favour, but to be honest it was a total pleasure for my whole family.... Oakley had a doggie friend and someone to put him in his place several times... I loved the 3 walks a day with two dogs, my hubby fell in love with her and gained a great bond from the moment he saw her... My daughter was sad to say goodbye and my son thought her and Oakley were fun together...

I am sad she has gone back to her mummy but I would definitely have her again...... we bonded ... and she was the perfect house guest, tbh I couldn’t cope with many visitors staying for 6 nights ha ha ha ..... but a cockapoo is always welcome :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ah Oakley will be wondering where she's gone.. wait while he sees her again. Great that your friends dogs has had somewhere lovely to stay while they've been away and even greater if they'll have Oakley for you .... going away is so much nicer if you know your dogs going to be ok x

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the two of them together....would be cute to see

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
That sounds lovely for Oakley and for you. We had a doggie friend to stay for 2 weeks over Xmas and we were all sad to see her go. I found it easier in lots of ways to have two dogs than one - they entertained each other happily.

I am still thinking of getting another . . .

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Sue ..... go on get another one ha ha ha .. would you have another girl (Kendal has 4) or go for a boy next time... oh no I am encouraging you now.....

It was lovely to have two but there was a doggy smell in my kitchen which I hadn’t noticed so much with one dog, but hey what’s a smell ....

Ruby did put Oakley in his place a few times .... our kids screamed and thought she was killing him, but I explained it all clearly to them to stop them worrying. Ruby is older and wiser and didn't want to be barked at, mated with, or jumped all over by Oakley, so she was telling him in doggy way to “Get Off Me Oakley & I Am In Charge”, this was easy for the kids to understand.

All good fun though .. still miss here actually... I will post a pic :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes, it wouldn't take much to persuade me to get another one! Not practical till after our summer holiday tho, wouldn't be fair to get one then leave it for 2 weeks. Yes, I probably would go for another girl.

I've never noticed a doggy smell (which I dislike). That's one of the many good things about cockapoos - they are not a "smelly" dog.

I'm often checking breeders-online for pups - if anyone knows of litters from a reputable breeder in South East area (I'm in Surrey) - do let me know. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's one of the many good things about cockapoos - they are not a "smelly" dog.
Really? Rosie stinks! It's probably the food - JWB fish kibble - but she can clear a room when she tries. Apart from those unwelcome smells, she's has a nice doggy smell (my husband would disagree with that description!) about her, which we have always commented on, given that cockapoos aren't supposed to smell. I guess that's another of the possible variations amongst our non-breed!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Ha Ha :D I guess fishy food is bound to produce some unwelcome smells! I agree they have quite a nice doggy smell. My son says if he kisses Maisie near her nose/mouth, she smells of a bakery! :D

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Ha Ha :D I guess fishy food is bound to produce some unwelcome smells! I agree they have quite a nice doggy smell. My son says if he kisses Maisie near her nose/mouth, she smells of a bakery! :D
ok that is cute!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
She is sat under my chair now, and as I hit 'post' on that last comment, she made one of the most disgusting smells I have smelled in my whole life.

I really do hope that one day we'll find a different food that suits her!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Really? Rosie stinks! It's probably the food - JWB fish kibble - but she can clear a room when she tries. Apart from those unwelcome smells, she's has a nice doggy smell (my husband would disagree with that description!) about her, which we have always commented on, given that cockapoos aren't supposed to smell. I guess that's another of the possible variations amongst our non-breed!
That's the only downside with fish based food, it does make them smell of fish. When I bought a pack of Nature Diet Salmon for Flo the boys said she stank and wouldn't cuddle her :(. I now use 'plaque off' with Flo and have found that her breath doesn't smell at all since using it as well as her having bright, white teeth. Another unexpected effect of the supplement is that is has 'cured' her pink winter nose and it is now completely black again.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I hope so! She's breaking wind about five times a minute at the moment!

She's actually driving me out of the room - we need fresh air!

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
BAHAHAHAH!!! thats too funny...lady Lady has droped a few killer ones...haha, I keep telling my husband it is revenge for his!

·
Registered
710 Posts
BAHAHAHAH!!! thats too funny...lady Lady has droped a few killer ones...haha, I keep telling my husband it is revenge for his!
Hahaha rufus's were terrible when we first got him...literally room clearing like little rosie there but he has gotten so much better, I haven't noticed any for quite some time. I think the change in food helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm sure that food is the crucial factor here. I can honestly say that I have never noticed Dylan breaking wind since I got him. Lucky me!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm sure that food is the crucial factor here. I can honestly say that I have never noticed Dylan breaking wind since I got him. Lucky me!!
The more I see I feel that the food is critical (with maybe a bit of input through inherited problems) and that BARF is the very best choice. It's probably all the grains and carbs that they are not designed to eat to causes sensitivity and wind! I'm afraid that I can't quite embrace the whole BARF thing like Dylansmum (what a joyful life Dylan has with raw meat, bones and the occasional plunge in stagnant water) but I'm pleased that I have now moved Flo to Origen. Helen - was Dylan on BARF right from the start?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts